Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BilboShireling
Channel Surfer

A device I do not own (nor have ever owned) is appearing in my Android app

Jump to solution

So I have a weird problem. When I sign into my account on the web, my device list is exactly as I would expect it to be (nothing additional), however in my Android app, I have an additional device (a 43" Phillips Roku TV) appearing that I have never owned/activated. If I tap on it to try and see details or remove it, it just sits there and spins. The page never loads. So I am unable to remove this rogue device from my app because it's not on the web and it won't load in the app directly.

I have already deleted all cache and user data in the Roku app and set it back up from scratch only to have the device still appear. So it's not a "cached data" issue.

Anyone have any ideas about what is happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BilboShireling
Channel Surfer

Re: A device I do not own (nor have ever owned) is appearing in my Android app

Jump to solution

OK, so I think I was finally able to kick that strange device out of my account. I had to use the iPhone app because it actually loaded the device when I tapped on it (the Android app would just sit and spin forever). The way I got it to disappear? I tried to put it into Guest mode.

Process:

1. Open app then open menu at top-right.
2. Click Devices In Account
3. Select the questionable device (in my case a 43" Phillips Roku TV)
4. Acknowledge the Error saying "Sorry, something went wrong."
5. Attempt to flip the Guest Mode switch at the bottom of the device menu and enter any PIN when it asks.
6. The device should disappear.

At least that's what worked for me. So hopefully, if anyone else stumbles on this mysterious issue in the future, there is a list of steps I did to clear out the not-mine device in my list. Still no idea why this device would appear in both my Android and iPhone apps, but not on the Web account.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BilboShireling 

I would try to think of anytime. You might have connected to a Roku player using your android phone. I’m assuming when you say logging into your android app, you’re talking about logging in through your phone. It definitely has something to do with your phone if your friend had a Roku TV. and you were over at his house there is a chance you connected to it somehow that’s the first thought that comes to my mind at least

0 Kudos
BilboShireling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No one I know owns a Roku TV. So there's no chance I have ever connected to one anywhere. I've never even seen one in person. And since I've also completely cleared the app data on my device (tantamount to resetting the app to defaults) and logged in cleanly, I can't see how this could possibly be something "on my phone."

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BilboShireling Roku is an operating system more than a TV company. They just  started making TV themselves in the last year. The list of TV companies that use the Roku OS is probably pages long. You might not have known

0 Kudos
BilboShireling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

All of my friend's TV's are old legacy "dumb" TV's, but just say I wandered by one somewhere. Wouldn't my action of clearing all app data and logging back in fresh have cleared that out? It is oddly persistent considering it's not present in my Web account. Only in my Android app.

0 Kudos
BilboShireling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK, here's something even weirder for you.

I installed the Roku app onto my employer provided corporate iPhone.

This is a phone I don't generally carry with me, and has never before had the Roku app on it.

When I go to my devices list, I can see that same Roku TV appearing there too! Only here (on the iPhone app) I can tap on it and it says than an error has occurred, but at least it loads the device (on Android it never loads and spins forever) and allows me to try clicking the Remove Device link. So I tap it, answer that yes, I am sure, and it goes back to the device list, but the Roku TV is STILL THERE! I've done it twice, and the Roku TV is stuck in my device list on my mobile devices, but does not appear in my Roku Web account.

This is definitely not a case of me being in the same room as one since this iPhone has never had the Roku app on it prior to today.

This is definitely something messed up either with my account that isn't showing on Web, or something bugged in the mobile apps in general.

BilboShireling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK, so I think I was finally able to kick that strange device out of my account. I had to use the iPhone app because it actually loaded the device when I tapped on it (the Android app would just sit and spin forever). The way I got it to disappear? I tried to put it into Guest mode.

Process:

1. Open app then open menu at top-right.
2. Click Devices In Account
3. Select the questionable device (in my case a 43" Phillips Roku TV)
4. Acknowledge the Error saying "Sorry, something went wrong."
5. Attempt to flip the Guest Mode switch at the bottom of the device menu and enter any PIN when it asks.
6. The device should disappear.

At least that's what worked for me. So hopefully, if anyone else stumbles on this mysterious issue in the future, there is a list of steps I did to clear out the not-mine device in my list. Still no idea why this device would appear in both my Android and iPhone apps, but not on the Web account.

0 Kudos
Em63
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@BilboShireling I have the same problem. It's the same device too! A 43" Phillip's TV - not mine and can't delete it and the circle just spins when I try to. I have a serial number for it. I just want it gone

0 Kudos
Em63
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am reading all of your post and I am beginning to think that it is some kind of glitch in the Roku system. What are the chances of both of us (and maybe others) having the same rogue device on our accounts? Thank you for your post. I strangely feel there is hope that our accounts haven't been hacked.

0 Kudos