Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbor is casting to my Roku.

I just started having this same issue with 2/3 roku TV's in my house.... praying it doesn't happen in my kids room TV! Got woken up at 430a with it going off to neighbor's Spotify.... it's out of hand and honestly doesn't make owning TV's feel that safe anymore. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: A neighbor is trying to cast to my Roku. How does this happen,?

Hi @GingerGrl86 

We appreciate your post and welcome to the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about this experience, and we would like to gather more details as well as provide options for you. Do you see any prompts or devices that try to connect to your Roku TVs? Also, kindly be informed that casting or screen mirroring can only be connected when both the device and Roku TV are on the same network.

In the meantime, you can manage the accessibility of the screen mirroring to your Roku TV. You can define how an incoming screen mirroring request is handled by changing the screen mirroring mode on your Roku device. You can also remove a device that was added to the list of ‘Allowed devices’ or ‘Blocked devices’. Follow the instructions below:

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Screen mirroring
  5. After you open the screen mirroring settings, choose a setting to adjust.
  6. Screen mirroring mode – Select one of the choices to define how an incoming screen mirroring request is handled.
  7. Screen mirroring devices – Select a device in the list of ‘Allowed devices’ or ‘Blocked devices’ and choose to remove it. It is expected that either list will be empty if ‘Always accept’ or ‘Always ignore’ has never been selected from the screen mirroring prompt.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Neighbor is casting to my Roku.

@GingerGrl86 

An individual can only cast to/use your Roku device via a mobile app/laptop, etc. if on the same network as you.  Change your Network Name (SSID) and password of your Wireless Network (Wifi password).

-----

@RokuTakashi 

Why was this posting given its own thread/moved from an existing thread?  Since this user was having "the same issue", perhaps it would provide better context to know what this same issue was and what previous suggestions (if any) were offered so as to avoid repeating/duplicating said suggestions.

It is of little benefit to have multiple issues of the same problem cluttering the forum rather than a consolidated thread.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Strega2
Roku Guru

I agree that splitting off so many posts into new threads starting with something like “I have the same problem” is making it harder to guess what the problem might be.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Meg08

For months now I have the same issue. My neighbor uses my WiFi I've changed mirroring to off, turn off control by mobile app. Set my SSDD TO PRIVATE MANY TIMES. MANY FACTOR RESETS DONE. AS TO DATE 3/24/2024 STILL ON MY ROKU PLEASE HELP ME GET THEM OFF! I

mop_891
Roku Guru

@Meg08

Change the WiFi password. hiding to SSID offers almost no security. Until you change the password they will still be able to get into your network. Also what security protocol are you using for the WIFI? Is it WEP? If it is immediately change it to WPA. WEP makes it easy to crack the password.

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Isn't technology wonderful?  I had to remove power from my ancient Alliance/Genie garage door opener during COVID.  My neighbors were all "Safely working from home" & likely were bored & figured out how to open my garage door. 

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

There should be a way to prevent all casting to your Roku even if someone else is connected to your network. Because as it is now other people in your own house can hijack your Roku without permission even with the screen mirroring turned off. This is a major security flaw that Roku absolutely refuses to fix.

I complained about this in a different topic several years ago and I can see it still isn't fixed. Something like this Roku should be sued over because anyone can take over your Roku without permission at anytime, it's like have an unlocked door that anybody can just come through whenever they feel like it.

0 Kudos