Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cravenvids
Channel Surfer

Voice Remote Pro lost ability to control power and volume

Roku Streaming Device: Roku Premiere + ; Software version 12.5.5; build 4174

Roku remote: Voice Remote Pro ; Model RC832, firmware version mfg.0134

TV: Insignia NS-43D420NA18

I know the roku streaming device is on the older side, but it works, and I have had no real issue with it, it is just the old controller died, and I had to get a new controller, the Voice Remote Pro was the choice due to being rechargeable.

So I got one, paired it, and it recognized that I had an Insignia TV. I went through the music playing until it didn't and my power button, the volume and mute controls worked.

Then bam, out of nowhere the whole system is getting sluggish. The power isn't responsive, the volume is lagging, the whole system is bogged down.

So I plug the controller in thinking it's low on juice. That seemed to help for a second, but then the system would become unresponsive again. I would have to push real hard to get the system to respond.

So I reboot the box. That seemed to speed things up, temporarily. So I decided to just do a factory reset.

Well that messed everything up, except the responsiveness. It's a chipper as it once was, but the power, mute and volume functionality will not work. I have run through "set up remote for TV control" going on 40 times. I have gone to the secret menu to restore remote firmware, reset the IR, tried the CEC option as my tv does allow such things. But nothing. Nothing works. Please help. It was nice having one control for the TV.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
angela683

Re: Voice Remote Pro lost ability to control power and volume

@cravenvidsdollartreecompass wrote:

Roku Streaming Device: Roku Premiere + ; Software version 12.5.5; build 4174

Roku remote: Voice Remote Pro ; Model RC832, firmware version mfg.0134

TV: Insignia NS-43D420NA18

I know the roku streaming device is on the older side, but it works, and I have had no real issue with it, it is just the old controller died, and I had to get a new controller, the Voice Remote Pro was the choice due to being rechargeable.

So I got one, paired it, and it recognized that I had an Insignia TV. I went through the music playing until it didn't and my power button, the volume and mute controls worked.

Then bam, out of nowhere the whole system is getting sluggish. The power isn't responsive, the volume is lagging, the whole system is bogged down.

So I plug the controller in thinking it's low on juice. That seemed to help for a second, but then the system would become unresponsive again. I would have to push real hard to get the system to respond.

So I reboot the box. That seemed to speed things up, temporarily. So I decided to just do a factory reset.

Well that messed everything up, except the responsiveness. It's a chipper as it once was, but the power, mute and volume functionality will not work. I have run through "set up remote for TV control" going on 40 times. I have gone to the secret menu to restore remote firmware, reset the IR, tried the CEC option as my tv does allow such things. But nothing. Nothing works. Please help. It was nice having one control for the TV.

Hello, @cravenvids 

I understand the frustration of dealing with a sluggish system and unresponsive controls. Let’s try to address the issues with your Roku Premiere + and the Voice Remote Pro systematically:

Restart Your Roku Device:
Go to Settings > System > Power. If you don’t see a Power selection, look for System restart1.
Alternatively, use the remote sequence: Home button 5 times, Up arrow once, Rewind twice, and Fast Forward twice.
Update Your Roku Software:
Check for updates manually by going to Settings > System > System update and selecting Check now.
Reboot Your Voice Remote Pro:
If it uses standard batteries, remove them, wait a minute, and reinsert.
If it’s rechargeable, press and hold the pairing button for 20 seconds or the Back and Home buttons for 20 seconds if there’s no pairing button.
Re-pair Your Remote:
Unplug your Roku device, press and hold the pairing button on the remote until the light starts flashing, then plug your Roku device back in.
Check Your TV’s Compatibility:
Ensure your Insignia TV’s firmware is up to date and that it supports the CEC features you’re trying to use.
Clear Potential Signal Obstructions:
Remove any objects that might be blocking the signal from your remote to the TV.
Factory Reset (since you’ve already done this):
Go through the initial setup process again, ensuring you select the correct TV brand and model during the remote setup.

I hope my suggestion is helpful for you.

Best Regard,
angela683

0 Kudos
cravenvids
Channel Surfer

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I have attempted all such suggestions prior to posting. Nothing seems to work. Not sure why I would need to update the TV firmware as the remote worked prior and then all of a sudden stopped working when I factory reset the premiere+ in hopes to cure the sluggish behavior.

Any other ideas?

BTW the IR light is working on the controller so I know it is sending signal. Originally I just used IR setup, not the CEC feature. I just attempted the CEC feature because the original method did not work.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@cravenvids wrote:

BTW the IR light is working on the controller so I know it is sending signal. Originally I just used IR setup, not the CEC feature. I just attempted the CEC feature because the original method did not work.

Remember for CEC it has to be enabled in both the Roku (One-touch Play) and the TV. CEC control has always worked great for me with both TVs and AVRs, but in general it's hit or miss with devices from different manufacturers.

I don't have any Insignia TVs I can test the IR codes for (Insignia is a house brand for Best Buy). The only way to test IR output from the remote is to look at the end of the remote through a digital camera (such as a phone camera) and watch for flashing lights when a button is pressed. Any visible light on the remote is only confirming a button press, not that the IR signal is being transmitted.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cravenvids
Channel Surfer

Thanks for reaching out. I must have been a bit vague, but yes I did the camera test and the IR bulb is lighting up.

I have gone into the smart menu and enabled CEC as well as on my TV, but nada. Music still plays and it won't manifest in power, volume controls.

Something is weird because I have to factory reset every time I want the remote to fully pair. The only way to get the remote to show information in the "about" screen is to factory reset. But after the TV is off for awhile, the pairing fails and I have to push the pair button to make a "dead" remote pair again. But it doesn't fully pair. It stays blinking until it falls off again and I have to push the pair button again.

I have done everything. Factory reset the box, hard reset the remote via the smart menu. Reset IR via the smart menu. I am at a loss.

Beginning to think I just need a new box as the premiere+ is almost 6 years old. Planned obsolencense?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@cravenvids wrote:

Beginning to think I just need a new box as the premiere+ is almost 6 years old. Planned obsolencense?

Planned? I don't really think so. I have a 2 XS that's now 11 years old, and it still kinda works. It's just so underpowered that it literally can't run hardly any of the apps any longer. But it was Google with their YouTube app that made it unusable for me, and that happened when it was only about four years old. If your Premiere+ is the 4630, it has the same chipset as the Ultra 4640, which is still a completely viable player. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't have an internal failure of some kind. But right now for $30 you could get a new Express 4K+, which in many ways is quite a step up from even one as new as yours. Not a lot of money for an improved and brand new product.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cravenvids
Channel Surfer

Alright, I have bitten the bullet and gone with the express+. We shall see if that solves the issue. I appreciate your correspondence.

0 Kudos