Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danys1

So Called "Recommendation Rows" Are Now Removable

Just as the title says. You can get rid of them now. W00T.

Just go into settings for the home screen and you can hide them along with all the other unnecessary and random **bleep** they put there.

11 REPLIES 11
QuiGonJohn
Roku Guru

Re: So Called "Recommendation Rows" Are Now Removable

Will this work for "Categories" and "Browse"? These two sections recently appeared on my Roku TV. Bars that are above (or below, if you scroll through) from my actual section that has my CHANNELS.

Same about the Roku TV putting up a "Continue Watching". I don't want any of those sections and it annoys the C out of me that I get these w/o my consent.

0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Roku Guru

UPDATE: That seemed to do the trick. I now have none of those 3 sections. And I like that it is just one entry to hide all the "Recommendation Rows".

Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@QuiGonJohn @danys1 l was curious about that myself. I kinda want them gone too. Maybe there’s some run of the mill streamers who will enjoy this new feature 🤷🏻‍♂️.

dlsuser
Reel Rookie

So this was still not working for me. I checked the Hide option for 'Recommendation rows' but it continued  getting reset to Show and they still appeared on the Home screen. Checked for latest software update and it tells me I'm up to date. I had to set it to Hide then power off the TV. When I powered on they were gone. Yay.

Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@dlsuser @danys1 @QuiGonJohn 

Well it seemed to be super easy to get rid of them for me. I suppose your rank is newbie which could explain challenges on ur end lol sorry the joke was there so I went for it 

0 Kudos
dlsuser
Reel Rookie

Ouch!! That's harsh! 😂  Honestly, I took early retirement three years ago as a Senior Principle Software Engineer after 30+ years writing real-time, mission critical software for DOD and NASA customers. But hey, to solve this problem, I reached deep in the tool box and turned to one of the most valuable lessons I learned over all those years - when sh*t don't work, reboot!!

Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@dlsuser 

That was harsh. My apologies and thank you for the work and time you put at nasa. NASA’s something I’m proud of as an American. Something I follow. I have the nasa channel on Roku. I am by no means an engineer and Lord knows I could never have the abilities to do what you did there. I wish you all the best and again my apologies 

0 Kudos
QuiGonJohn
Roku Guru

I'm just glad Roku gave us the option. So many things today, like in Apps and such, they make it look & work like they want and don't give a darn about what end users would actually like. I want it to be like Roku was originally, channels on the right, I find the channel I want then look at the programming. Netflix, Prime and others already have a Continue Watching, I do not need one at the Roku/Roku TV level.

0 Kudos
BFW144

I successfully hid the Recommendation Row, and tested it by turning the TV on and off a couple times.  No Recommendation Row appeared.

But the next day, I turned on the Roku TV and the Recommended Row was back, on the top of the screen.  It re-enabled itself.  This is insane.  Once a button is toggled hide, it should remain hidden permanently.

Doubt I'll purchase another Roku TV after this.

0 Kudos