Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Absurd security measures on this forum

Jump to solution

I do not know who configured this forum but seriously WTF is up with the nanny state and security issues.

After being delayed by WE NEED TO CHECK YOU ARE HUMAN cloudfare **bleep**, we then have to go through approval by email.

This is a tech forum, there is no security issue of my data, I already confirmed my email when I signed up so why hassle users.

To make matters worse when you make a post you have to tick a box that says it has not been posted before, it already checked that it had not been posted before so WTF, then if you copy a username it stops you because is says you used HTML.

Considering that most people come here because they are already pissed off with Roku products failing them it does not exactly help their mood with all this shiite.

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Correct the highlighted errors and try again. You already corrected it you Dum**uck

You have autosaved content from 07:13 AM.

Load or Discard
My topic hasn't been posted before
Please confirm to continue
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Absurd security measures on this forum

Jump to solution

Two Factor Authentication is something that many web sites use. True, Roku did just adopt it, but you can disable it under your user account settings. Just remember that 2FA greatly improves the security of your account.

The checkbox to confirm you're human is an improvement over the Captcha image matching, and only takes a second, so I have no issues with that one. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
atc98092

Jump to solution

Two Factor Authentication is something that many web sites use. True, Roku did just adopt it, but you can disable it under your user account settings. Just remember that 2FA greatly improves the security of your account.

The checkbox to confirm you're human is an improvement over the Captcha image matching, and only takes a second, so I have no issues with that one. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

You can disable the two step verification under your account settings where?

Be specific.

I'm sick and tired of having to check my email to click on a link to get into the forum AFTER I've already typed in my username and password!

This is beyond ridiculous and annoying!

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@mop_891 

Thank you!

It worked!

No more having to check my email and click on a link! I can just type in my email address and password and login!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@Emissary35 

Using Chrome or Edge Browser your email and password should be filled out already. On a cell phone using Chrome you would click on the empty email for drop down menu to appear with email and password, clicking it that will autofill boxes, nothing to actually type in either case. Now using Internet Explorer I had to type each time my email and password. 😞

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As I said, it is absurd.

If this was a banking website then perhaps it might be relevant but what security exactly is at risk here?

My ability to post a message, so someone else can post in my name if they are that sad, big deal, but they won't even be able to do that as my passwords are strong.

As far as I am concerned if they need to prove I am human then their networking has inadequate security.

Sure if someone tried to login from Russia or China then go at it, but no need and nothing to lose.

Also, those who use nefarious means, have software that redirects such prompts to poor overworked people in Bangladesh and other countries, so totally pointless.

TBH the people who want to create accounts for SEO purposes employ people so cheap that they can spend hours a day over weeks to make an account look legit.  Better to just ban all hyperlinks.

Making us jump through all those hoops just shows amateur IT people.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The Roku forum account is tied to your Roku account. As noted, due to security issues, mainly with other sites and people reusing email/password combos, they enabled 2FA. If you have no payment information tied to Roku, then it's less of a security issue to disable 2FA. You can go into payment settings and remove any cards if you used one to sign up, but are not paying for anything through Roku.

I only found out you could disable 2FA today. I have been semi-boycotting this forum and only checking in once a week or so. The email thing was annoying and often took several minutes or more to come in. I would use the "alternative" method by using part of a device's ID code.

DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

PLEASE CEASE AND DESIST FROM MARKING MY THREADS AS SOLVED

THAT IS NOT THE SOLUTION

I DECIDE WHAT THE SOLUTION IS.

THE CHECKBOX IS DISABILITY UNFRIENDLY AND SERVES NO VALID PURPOSE.  IT IS BETTER TO USE NETWORKING TOOLS TO DETERMINE THE TRAFFIC.

SPAMMERS REDIRECT THE OUTPUT FROM THOSE DIALOGUES TO SWEAT SHOPS IN BANGLADESH.  SO WE ARE PUNISHED BUT THE SPAMMERS CARRY ON AS USUAL.

ALSO THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS TO POINT OUT THAT IT IS NOT JUST ONE TICK IT IS NUMEROUS HURDLES AND ALL YOU ARE DOING IS MAKING CUSTOMERS THAT ARE ANGRY ABOUT YOUR OTHER FAILINGS EVEN MORE ANGRY.

OF COURSE IT IS NOT AS BAD AS CAPCHA BUT SAYING IT IS BETTER IS LIKE SAYING BEING KNIFED IS BETTER THAN BEING SHOT, BOTH HURT.

WHAT WAS USEFUL BUT NOT A SOLUTION IS TO POINT OUT THAT SOME THINGS CAN BE DISABLED IN THE ACCOUNT SETTINGS.

A REASONABLE ADJUSTMENT WOULD BE TO DEFAULT TO NO TFA AND TO LET USERS KNOW THAT THERE IS A TFA OPTION.

0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

ONLY AN ABSOLUTE FOOL WOULD USE THE SAME EMAIL OR CREDENTIAL ON A TECH SUPPORT FORUM AND THEIR ROKU DEVICE.

I WOULD NEVER PROVIDE PAYMENT INFORMATION ROKU, IT IS FAR TO EASY TO LEAVE A ROKU STICK IN A HOTEL ROOM OR WHATEVER WHILE TRAVELING.

THE WAY ROKU HAS TREATED CUSTOMERS I WOULD NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING THAT GENERATED REVENUE.

EVEN ON MY PHONE I REMOVED MY CARD DETAILS AFTER APPLE VERIFIED MY ID.  IF I WANT TO USE A PAID SERVICE WITH APPLE, I BUY A GIFT CARD AND ADD THE SUM TO MY ACCOUNT, I CAN PICK UP SUCH GIFT CARDS ONLINE.  EVEN WHEN I HAVE APPLIED A CREDIT I HAVE SET MY PHONE SO THAT I NEED TO MAKE EXPLICIT CHANGES TO ALLOW THE BALANCE TO BE USED, FOR EXAMPLE I HAVE TO ENABLE IN APP PURCHASE, BUT I DISABLE THEM RIGHT AFTER.

I USE VERY STRONG PASSWORD METHODS THAT ARE UNIQUE PER SITE.

IF I USE A PASSWORD MANAGER I DO NOT PROVIDE IT WITH INFORMATION SUCH A DEBIT/CREDIT CARD OR EVEN MY SAME.  I WOULD NEVER USE SUCH A SERVICE FOR BANKING OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT GIVES IT ACCESS TO MY MONEY.

0 Kudos