Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lvalpl

Did anyone hear of the Roku Hack

Did anyone get a message from Roku?  I saw it on Tom's guide- nothing from Roku. it was all your information including cc, passwords.  So disappointed.  why cant these big companies figure out how to keep our information safe?  spend more time fixing their errors.

44 REPLIES 44
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Did anyone hear of the Roku Hack

Yes, already posted here on the community. It amounted to maybe 50,000 user accounts. Considering Roku has millions of users, it was a very small percentage of accounts that were hacked. It's a very good reason to not keep a credit card stored in your user account. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lvalpl

thanks, why did they not advise us? sure get enough emails from them?  no cc, and now have to worry about passwords.  i have 5 roku devices.   have a good evening

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If your account wasn't hacked, they had no reason to notify you. I would take the non-notification as a strong likelihood your account is fine. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

From what I’ve read, this hack was to get passwords from one place and then try them at other places.  The underlying reason it works is because some people still use the same password at many places.  If you’re not one of those, you should be safe from this one. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
nyc_viewer

Roku customer data hacked and sold

After agreeing to the new terms and conditions that were mandatory to make the device function, the local news reported that over 15 thousand Roku accounts were accessed and customer data, such as credit card details, is being sold. As I only subscribe to free services, I always felt that providing a credit card was odd, but now that we know that data is not secure, how do we proceed?

andyross
Roku Guru

When I tried to log into the community today, my password did not work. I had to use the reset password feature to log in. Are they forcing everyone to change their password?

andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku customer data hacked and sold

From the reports, these hackers used credentials from another hack. Basically, if you use the same email and password on multiple sites/services, one hack can result in you getting hit in multiple places.

thetick
Roku Guru

Two Factor Authentication

How do I enable Two Factor Authentication to my Roku Web account ? 

I'm a bit concerned about all the Roku accounts and passwords that has been stolen recently.  If Two Factor Authentication would be requirement for all on-line accounts, then these types of thefts would be much harder and almost all prevented.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/over-15-000-hacked-roku-accounts-sold-for-50-each-to-...

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

Probably no.  Most likely your account triggered an automatic password reset due to maximum number of failed attempts.   This is both a good thing and bad thing.

GOOD: It likely shows your account was not breached in the known published breach.

BAD:  It means an email / password combination you have used likely at different site has been compromised. 

You should make sure ALL your passwords are different for every site/app otherwise you are very vulnerable using the same password at many sites.

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service