Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

OS 12.5 beginning rollout

It looks like OS 12.5 is beginning to roll out.

Roku OS 12.5

Initial rollout date: September 12, 2023

Roku OS 12.5 includes new APIs for monitoring the current amount of available memory for a channel and getting the device user agent. This release also includes features that generally enhance the performance of media playback such as prebuffering for live content, improved closed captioning through ad breaks, and pre-playback audio and subtitle track selection

Labels (1)
29 REPLIES 29
iFrog
Roku Guru

Re: OS 12.5 beginning rollout

Didn't realize it was  scheduled for September.  I just got the update yesterday, and then I heard Luke from Cord cutter's news mention it at the beginning of the week / end of last.  So thought by that, it was scheduled for October.  Anyway, overall, my Roku Ultra 4802 feels snappier after the update was installed and it sat overnight.  I tried some content this morning, and it was a really good experience.

For the past month or two, I have been using my Chromecast with Google TV more than the Roku though, mainly waiting on some issues with Roku to be resolved, and I like the Google TV interface better in some ways over the Roku.  However, with that said, all the issues I was having with my Roku (except 1) have been resolved, so it seems to be stable again, and the one remaining, is channel related, and not Roku at this point.  So, it's pretty usable again.

0 Kudos
azponyrider
Channel Surfer

I just got this update and my TCL Tv with Roku Express + is now unusable for streaming. At 11:30am it was fine. I turned off the TV to nap and when I turned it back on it had updated and doesn’t work. It changes my hdmi2 (where Roku is plugged in) to something called DVI. The Roku screen is pink, smaller than normal, and there is no sound. 

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @azponyrider,

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Can you confirm your device's current OS by going to Settings under the System option? Also, for the audio issue, kindly try to reboot the device by performing a system restart under settings and plug it into another available HDMI port.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
azponyrider
Channel Surfer

Thank you for responding. Software version is 12.5.0 build is 4175-51 model of the Roku express+ is 3910rw  I have rebooted it multiple times. I have exchanged hdmi cables. I have tried hdmi ports 1,2 (where it normally goes), and 3. I have unplugged it for 10 minutes, plugged it back in and restarted. It was working perfectly just an hour before the update. After the update the Roku screen is pink, small, and there is no sound. I set it to hdmi and it switches itself to dvi. The television is a TCL. I have video of it changing itself from hdmi to dvi and a photo of the pink screen if that will help.

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@RokuJanadeeK does my Roku player automatically update to the new iOS 12.5 or do I have to go through and look for it? I may have set it up for automatic updates if that’s a thing I’m not sure if I did I’ve had my TCL Roku TV for a few years now.

0 Kudos
azponyrider
Channel Surfer

@RokuJanadeeK Okay, I think the update made my Roku express incompatible with my TCL tv. I tried it on my little Samsung tv and it works fine, but it still refuses to work on my big beautiful TCL. See my previous reply.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community, @Dfresh567.

If you haven't seen any changes in your Roku streaming device yet, kindly try to manually check for any system updates by navigating to your Home screen. Scroll up or down to select Settings > System > System update > Check Now. It may be possible that it isn't available on your device yet, but you can check it from time to time.

Let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with. We'd be more than happy to continue doing so.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, @azponyrider.

In this case, we will request reinforcement from the appropriate Roku team to investigate your device further. Kindly provide us with the following details below so we can forward this to the team:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • The serial number of your TCL TV.
  • If you could provide us with a photo of what you are seeing on your screen, that would be a big help.

We'll be looking forward to your response! 

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
azponyrider
Channel Surfer

@RokuCarly  I sent the info you requested via reply to the email notification for your post. No idea if you will get it but I can’t seem to get the two photos or the 30 second video showing the behavior to post here in this forum. What is the best way to get you the information you need?

0 Kudos