Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

They have been doing it to me for years, probably since 2016 or 2017, I may be off a year. It was what caused me first to contact Roku customer support and to use this forum. It varies in its intensity, i.e., how many a day, how many different channels versus how many times the same channel is added, and how many days or weeks or months.

It has nothing to do with my settings, or whether or not I have restarted or reloaded Roku. I mentioned in an earlier post that there was only one person from Roku customer support who ever came out and told me there was nothing to be done on my end: that was after countless posts on this forum and countless customer support people telling me that it was something I was doing — or not doing. Nope.

Based on previous forays into this subject on this community forum, I know I am not the only person to whom this happens.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@rawlsrules wrote:

They have been doing it to me for years, probably since 2016 or 2017, I may be off a year. It was what caused me first to contact Roku customer support and to use this forum. It varies in its intensity, i.e., how many a day, how many different channels versus how many times the same channel is added, and how many days or weeks or months.

Based on previous forays into this subject on this community forum, I know I am not the only person to whom this happens.

Two things may be happening here, and we hope this solves the issue for you...

1. Many screensavers advertise channels that customers might enjoy. To install the channel, you'll press the Play button on your remote. Sometimes, customers will use the Play button to get out of the screensaver, and inadvertently install a channel. Make sure you aren't using the Play button to wake up your device--Any other button will work just fine.

2. Roku players can be linked using your Roku account. Log into my.roku.com to see which Roku players are associated with your account. If you had set up a Roku device for a friend, family member, or kiddo at home, then when that person adds a channel to their player, it will also be added to your player. If you don't recognize the devices associated with your account, you can unlink them. 

Finally, you can add a PIN number to install new channels, also at my.roku.com. This should help point to when your device is prompting for a new channel to be added and may help you determine what action is prompting the channel to be added. Roku does not auto-install dozens of channels to your device unprompted, so if you're still having this issue, send me a PM here and we can take a look with you.

-Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
siamhie
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I only just now noticed that we can finally remove those two rows AFTER they added Live TV to my channel lineup which I was able to hide in the settings page.

Better late than never.

Kim5784
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you!

btl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

not to hijack this thread but could we now get roku to remove the awful TV manufacturer name to the left of the roku tv logo that takes up half the screen? would anyone be interested in starting a thread? 

0 Kudos
Bobnfl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku has heard our complaints and has a New update coming out to remove "categories and browse" from your app page 

Open settings

Scroll to home page

Scroll to recommendation rows

Select hide. 

Thank you Roku 

crivali
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Finally, Roku has listened to its customers.  Thank you for finally allowing me to remove features that I did not ask for or want.

0 Kudos
HeavyToka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just wanted to thank Roku for listening to their customers on this, it's rare these days for a business to care

jimsz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

They don't care. They keep hoisting this garbage on users.

0 Kudos
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

And still no software update for me for some reason...

🤔

0 Kudos