Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brbmoore
Reel Rookie

Roku Premium overheating error message

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Premium that I purchased six weeks ago. It keeps giving a warning that it's overheating whenever we use 4k. It's not in a cabinet, or on top of a cabinet, and we have to literally keep a fan blowing on it to not have that error code. 

This is the fourth Roku I have bought and by far its the worst. WHY is this an issue? There are no fixes other than turning it off, so WHAT is the solution? If you can't use 4K then why is it marketed that way? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Premium overheating error message

Jump to solution

Hi @brbmoore,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

This is not the exact experience we wanted you to have with your new Roku device and we appreciate you for flagging us about this. We'd like to know how you are powering this device, as this could be a factor that causes this issue. Receiving insufficient power may cause this. If you're using the TV USB port to power this, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet and then try again to see if you're still seeing the same issue. 

You'll want to check more support here: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message.

If this has been happening too often, please report back here and share with us the serial number of the device, which can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @brbmoore,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

This is not the exact experience we wanted you to have with your new Roku device and we appreciate you for flagging us about this. We'd like to know how you are powering this device, as this could be a factor that causes this issue. Receiving insufficient power may cause this. If you're using the TV USB port to power this, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet and then try again to see if you're still seeing the same issue. 

You'll want to check more support here: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message.

If this has been happening too often, please report back here and share with us the serial number of the device, which can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
brbmoore
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Rey, it is not plugged in with an HDMI, it's plugged into an outlet. It is plugged in the exact same way as the router and the Xfinity streaming device was plugged in. It mostly does it with 4k. 

0 Kudos
brbmoore
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is plugged directly into an outlet. I've unplugged it several times.

0 Kudos
brbmoore
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I also tried to contact ROKU for a return, there is no option to contact anyone. I also looked to return it to Walmart but they say its too long. I bought it March 15. GREAT customer service, and really stellar guarantee. NOT.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@brbmoore,

Thanks for getting back to us!

It seems like you're still experiencing the issue, and thanks for sharing extra details. Could you please share the serial number of this? You can find it by navigating to Settings > System > About. We'll be able to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.