Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plane6625
Reel Rookie

Re: Class Action? Anyone Interested

Class action suits seem to be the only recourse for users in these situations. I purchased the product under a specific agreement and I agreed to those stipulations at the time I purchased the product and created an account and initiated it's use. The company has no right whatsoever to arbitrarily change those stipulations and disable the product without offering a refund for the purchase price of a product that they have made unusable.

Very Simply, they are entitled to change the stipulations in their policy for any new users that purchase their product from that point forward. They cannot retroactively change the policy and make it unusable without offering a remedy or compensation for the unusable product.

Queendata

I’m down. I’m sure there are so many ppl that would be as well if they knew what was going on overall. 

when you purchase an item/product it’s yours. The services Roku provides are services.. they shouldn’t control your TV. 
I would understand if we lost access to the Roko services but to prevent use of the entire TV? Horrible! 
Unfortunately, Roku has opened our eyes to all of the many other issues they have. If they would have allowed a “maybe later” feature that disabled their services but allowed hdmi & settings access, we would have never even been mad enough to even think about this. Now, we are focused on this and there’s so many of us that will NOT let it go, maybe Roku should provide some transparency about the data they collect & how they maintain it. We all agree to these ridiculously long terms & conditions/usage contracts but maybe we shouldn’t. 
thanks to Roku I’m officially fed up with every single corporation trying to take advantage of people. We are strong together. The only reason why companies are successful in the first place is because of the people giving them money. 🙂

Queendata

@plane6625 

I completely agree. How is it possible to take away my entire device because Roku is worried I won’t accept the agreement.
What are we supposed to do with our tv boxes that don’t work now?

I opted out of the first agreement and now this?! I’m so frustrated 

Queendata

Re: I don't agree to Dispute Resolution Terms update. TV now unusable. Now what, Roku?

All it takes is for enough of us to hold our stance long enough. I would be happy to use my tv without Roku services 

andyross
Roku Guru

Re: I don't agree to Dispute Resolution Terms update. TV now unusable. Now what, Roku?

Just remember that most if not all devices and services have binding arbitration clauses these days. Your Internet, phone, etc. Probably even your credit cards and bank.

0 Kudos
Butthead3

Re: Class Action Suit - mandatory arbitration (work around, can disconnect wifi and use the TV)

Roku is disabled it's products until you agree to mandatory arbitration. You can disconnect your TV from the WiFi and your TV will work. You will have to shut off or disconnect your WiFi, then start your TV and it will play. For streaming you can connect your TV to your computer. Before you turn on your WiFi you must change your WiFi connection on your Roku TV. I changed mine to connect by cable, which the TV is not. Or you the pass word to the WiFi on the TV or WiFi network. To change WiFi password on TV turn on TV while the WIFI is off. Then turn on the WiFi and scan for networks. Change to TV's password to something different than what the real password is.

0 Kudos
donewithU2day
Reel Rookie

Community.  This is all very simple if you look at the root cause and where this path leads. (Google Roku patent infringement allegations). I don’t know much about patent infringement law,  I do know if you unknowningly purchase stolen property you forfeit that property when the act is discovered. 
Hopefully there are some attorneys in the community that can make better sense of this and let us all know if the “Accept or go F… yourself” on are screens is actually a binding contact if accidentally clicked by a minor child or someone other than the account owner???

More news below:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., January 19, 2024--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Universal Electronics Inc. ("UEI") (NASDAQ: UEIC), the global leader in wireless universal control solutions for home entertainment and smart home devices, today announced that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has affirmed a prior ruling by the U.S. International Trade Commission ("ITC" or the "Commission"), which banned the importation and sale of various streaming products by Roku, Inc. ("Roku") that infringe UEI’s patent. The appellate court’s ruling issued today.

"We are pleased that the Federal Circuit has validated our valuable intellectual property and confirmed Roku’s patent infringement. It further confirms that Roku will not be able to import or sell any infringing products in United States until this key UEI patent expires in 2032. Our U.S. District Court cases against Roku and its TV partners were on hold until this decision was finalized, so this decision now paves the way for UEI to return to the U.S. District Court and collect money damages for the infringing activities of Roku and its TV partners," said Richard A. Firehammer, Jr. UEI’s SVP & General Counsel

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Class Action Suit - mandatory arbitration (work around, can disconnect wifi and use the TV)

@Butthead3 wrote:

Roku is disabled it's products until you agree to mandatory arbitration. 

Mandatory arbitration has always been part of the Roku Terms of Service (TOS). That isn't a change. Roku pushed this out very poorly, but there's very little change overall in the TOS. They really should have simply sent this out via an email to the Roku user account address.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Claimer

Re: "We've made an important update" is stuck on screen

Bull**bleep** 

0 Kudos
optikhog
Roku Guru

Re: "We've made an important update" is stuck on screen

Umm, this is from the Amazon Fire TV TOS.  How is this better?

4.3 Disputes. Any dispute or claim arising from or relating to the Agreement or the App is subject to the dispute resolution, governing law, disclaimer of warranties, limitation of liability and all other terms in the Amazon.com Conditions of Use.

4.4 Limitations of Liability. Without limiting the disclaimer of warranties and limitation of liability in the Amazon.com Conditions of Use, in no event will our or our licensors' total liability to you for all damages (other than as may be required by applicable law in cases involving personal injury) arising out of or related to your use or inability to use the App exceed the amount of fifty dollars ($50.00). These limitations will apply to you even if the remedies fail of their essential purpose.