Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
o2night
Streaming Star

Re: "We've made an important update" is stuck on screen

@optikhog wrote:

Umm, this is from the Amazon Fire TV TOS.  How is this better?

4.3 Disputes. Any dispute or claim arising from or relating to the Agreement or the App is subject to the dispute resolution, governing law, disclaimer of warranties, limitation of liability and all other terms in the Amazon.com Conditions of Use.

4.4 Limitations of Liability. Without limiting the disclaimer of warranties and limitation of liability in the Amazon.com Conditions of Use, in no event will our or our licensors' total liability to you for all damages (other than as may be required by applicable law in cases involving personal injury) arising out of or related to your use or inability to use the App exceed the amount of fifty dollars ($50.00). These limitations will apply to you even if the remedies fail of their essential purpose.

Amazon didn't brick your television waiting for you to agree.  That's the difference.  What Roku did was against the law.  They could have suspended your Roku account, but bricking the televsion is not going to go favorably for them.  

Bsbs
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

Of greater concern is being unable to access local emergency weather reports while tornado sirens are going off. This was all while on “chat” for over an hour repeatedly telling Five different ROKU reps that because I’m unable to see well enough to read the ROKU notification, I am unable to access my local news station for the emergency weather information. Not a ONE gave a whit about the risk to life and limb this poses to anyone with a visual limitation or a physical disability that are home bound and needs to know what to do while the sirens are going off. ROKU SIMPLY DOES NOT CARE. 

o2night
Streaming Star

@Bsbs wrote:

Of greater concern is being unable to access local emergency weather reports while tornado sirens are going off.

You are correct, and I totally forgot about the emergency system!  That makes Roku's dirty tactic even more against the law!

Bsbs
Binge Watcher

Update. Contacted ROKU Tech support by phone. Explained this notification regarding the Dispute Resolution Terms was blocking access to my local news in order to access emergency weather information while the Tornado Sirens were going off. I told the tech guy I would not agree to anything that I could not read. The tech guy told me the notification was not about Dispute Resolution Terms but rather a system update that happened every year and that it in no way altered my dispute resolution options. I believe the tech guy was perpetrating fraud on behalf of ROKU and knowingly victimizing me due to my limited vision. I ended the call. ROKU’s behavior is unconscionable. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Bsbs wrote:

Update. Contacted ROKU Tech support by phone. 

You did not reach Roku support. They don't offer phone support of any kind. They do have a chat function, and will sometimes respond to a customer via email (not that they offer an email address to ask for assistance). If you called someone on the phone, regardless of what they said they did not work for Roku.

This person saying it wasn't related to the terms of service shows they had no idea what they were talking about. This message has nothing to do with system update. My guess is if you had stayed on the phone they would have tried to get some personal information from you and try to get you to pay a fee to "fix" the problem. Of course they have no way of accomplishing anything other that stealing money from you.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Re: Class action laws--t against roku.

Yes my tv was bricked too, i can not do anything. Not everyone reads agreements , i did this is Coercion , now my tv is bricked and can not watch any of my other tv subscriptions like hbo , netflix and so on because my tv is bricked. I have to cancel all my subscriptions now because of this since i can not watch them on my bricked tv. Im also sendig letters to my other streaming apps that im canceling service because my tv was bricked. There for other companies will start to sue roku as well this is crazy .. 

stock is also gonna plummet with roku , it was dropping points last night  .

who can i contact about a class action ? 

0 Kudos

Just opt out and send the letter in , a child cannot sign a binding contract. 

0 Kudos
Bsbs
Binge Watcher

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

The Tornado sirens went off here today and the Dispute Resolution terms notification blocked my access to local news and emergency weather information!

ROKU is EXTORTING all consumers who have purchased their products and streaming capabilities. 

ROKU IS PLACING THEIR OWN CUSTOMERS IN HARM’S WAY. 

If you have Stock in ROKU, I strongly urge you to divest your stock immediately.