Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fluke
Roku Guru

Re: Class Action? Anyone Interested

@atc98092 wrote:

You all realize a CA suit would likely provide you with maybe a $5 coupon good for a new Roku device, and best case scenario it might be a $5 check? Class action suits benefit almost no one other than the law-yers. Yes, Roku really messed up big time with the way they pushed this updated information out. It's not the information itself that is bad or wrong, as it's mostly in line with other providers. But the way they did it was not good at all. 

I agree the damages under any USA or even California doesn't make taking legal action worth it.  The consumer protection laws are still a long way off from the EU here.

The problem, as I see it, that Roku real mess up is in their attempt to expand into the Smart Home market.

It is well known that the Roku Smart Home hardware is made in partnership with Wyze.  It is not as well known exactly home much code the devices and the cloud services share in common.  So, when something comes up recently as Wyze showing random security camera images associate with completely different accounts, I think it is reasonable to ask:

What policies, procedures and ToS assurances are there from Roku to keep this from happening with Roku "Smart" Home devices?

What this force ToS agreement screen did, at least for me, was scream directly into my face that Roku doesn't intend to be accountable or responsible with any of it's products.  For a streaming player provider that is just kind of meh.  But for a so-called "SECURITY" camera vendor to be forcibly *YELLING* this at customers is kind of horrific and beyond disappointing.

I can not understand why Roku would do this unless they are planning to drop out of the "security" camera business anyways.  They pointed a ToS bazooka at their feet, blew both of them off and now have no reasonable way to approach the customer anymore.  It is so depressing to see how they decided to play this anti-reassurance as the response!

crobnson43
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

We spend hundreds for their Roku tv and they can make it unusable at a whim? If I had your box I would toss it.

0 Kudos
fatkinson
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I purchased an Apple TV.  
I will be replacing my Roku with it next week when I have time to spend on learning to use it and setting it up.  
I had been a very happy Roku customer up to now.  
Not any more.  
I sent them the opt out letter.  It should be there any day.  
This is disgraceful!  

crobnson43
Reel Rookie

Makes me wonder what else they have up their sleeve if they are so forceful about the arbitration clause.

Why are they so worried about getting sued? 

0 Kudos
jharle508

My Roku won't even display the home screen.  I have checked all wires/connections, etc. but when  I hit the button to display my channels I get nothing at all.  Roku turns the TV on, but I can't get to the Roku menu.  HELP!!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@jharle508 wrote:

My Roku won't even display the home screen.  I have checked all wires/connections, etc. but when  I hit the button to display my channels I get nothing at all.  Roku turns the TV on, but I can't get to the Roku menu.  HELP!!!!

This is a completely separate issue from what's being discussed here. You should start a new thread, and make sure you mention exactly what Roku you have by model number, not just the name. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
viceclown

Forced TOS and no easy opt out

Just opened the Roku app to use private listening and I’m being forced to agree to a new TOS with arbitration. I don’t agree to this TOS change. You can’t sell us a TV for 100s of dollars and then change the terms under which we can use it. This is unacceptable. The only way to opt out is onerous and manual by sending a physical letter. Fix this or I’m sending all My Roku products back. 

TrashTV
Binge Watcher

I hope Roku goes bankrupt 

TrashTV
Binge Watcher

So I found another way through this other post saying to go to your Roku account and turn your stuff into guest mode it bypasses all the bull**bleep** and then we'll ask you how long you're going to be using this until you check out I just put till 2033

EsKay

TOS Dispute Resolution Terms

TOS: Dispute Resolution Terms

Seriously??? I can’t use the Roku device that I bought and own unless I agree to your new Dispute Resolution Terms???

If I don’t agree you brick my device??? Seriously??? What idiot thought that was a good way to do business???

Now I’ll never buy another Roku products in my lifetime. 

0 Kudos