Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

@Orudy1 wrote:

When done with boob-tube watching and want to turn the "box" off you press the red button on the remote, right? Well, that only puts your device in "hibernate mode" at least on mine. It's still on, so if I want to actually turn it off I need to turn it off at the surge protector.  Dumb design to make Roku work faster I think. 

Every single electronic device that has a remote control does this. The device MUST be operating in a low power mode or you would not be able to turn the device on with a remote. If your TV was truly off, you'd have to actually walk up to it and press a power button to turn it on. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
fluke
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

@Orudy1 wrote:

When done with boob-tube watching and want to turn the "box" off you press the red button on the remote, right? Well, that only puts your device in "hibernate mode" at least on mine. It's still on, so if I want to actually turn it off I need to turn it off at the surge protector.  Dumb design to make Roku work faster I think. 

Every single electronic device that has a remote control does this. The device MUST be operating in a low power mode or you would not be able to turn the device on with a remote. If your TV was truly off, you'd have to actually walk up to it and press a power button to turn it on. 

Or use a Clapper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny8-G8EoWOw 

But then the Clapper will be drawing power!  Darn.

0 Kudos
Orudy1
Channel Surfer

Hey, I knew that. but I bet a lot of other Roku owners might not. I grew up BR, BC, BT (b4 remotes, b4 chips, b4 television even) and seen it all (have the FCC license to prove).  To get back on topic with our devices actually on most of the time, they can send down the pipe anything they wish to.  That doesn't mean they should , but they can. We are held hostage to a corporation with a bad business model with a team of lawyers that screwed the pooch here and public sentiment goes a long way toward their future mebbe. The saying "the customer is always right" has been forgotten along the way.  Apology is offered for my age to all. I'll stay on topic, ok?

0 Kudos
brunsworks

Re: Did anyone else notice Roku retroactively changed terms and conditions

The answer that occurs to me is that they want to make it harder to opt out.

I will not enter into arbitration with Roku. If Roku wants to avoid legal action, they should avoid doing anything that would get them sued.

brunsworks

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

It doesn't work with the Roku phone app?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Did anyone else notice Roku retroactively changed terms and conditions

@brunsworks wrote:

I will not enter into arbitration with Roku. If Roku wants to avoid legal action, they should avoid doing anything that would get them sued.

Arbitration was part of the terms of service you agreed to when you first got your Roku. It's always been there. This is not a new or changed item. There are other changes, yes. But arbitration has always been there. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AH04
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I didn't see this message, and when I asked my minor kids if they saw it, kids being kids and not of legal age, don't recall seeing it.  So, NO clue if that message appeared, OR if it did, possibly a minor-aged child agreed to it.  Or maybe the kids friends pressed the 'agree' button??  This "new terms" seriously can't be legally upheld in any court of law...

Holy **bleep**, I was just about to buy a new soundbar, with plans on expanding to rear satellites and a subwoofer.  

Bullet dodged!

Pity, I really loved that pro remote.  😞

0 Kudos
Baileyl03
Reel Rookie

Re: Class Action? Anyone Interested

Yes I am in.  They are holding my TV hostage.  We waited for a long time to buy a TV that was "smart".  We went with a Roku because we have a Roku on our old TV in our house.  Looks like that was a mistake.  Now I have a TV that I can't use in our RV, and 1 at home as well as a Roku plug in.  We purchase a product in good faith, pay money to own and use it and now it is being held hostage unless we agree to their Dispute Reolution Terms.  How can this be legal?

0 Kudos
Baileyl03
Reel Rookie

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

Pushing the home button did nothing for me.

0 Kudos