Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I just don't care. If you plan to use ANY "smart" device (and many "dumb"

devices you have to agree to the ToS. If you think that's not true, you must have never used Windows or MacOS, a Mac, a smart phone of any make and literally thousands of other "modern" products.

Hey there, cheerleader. If you don't like reading about people who have lost access to their TV by way of coercive legal agreements then why are you here?

Grow up.

ektoplasm
Streaming Star

One wonders what could someone possibly gain from posting such a response?

Libturds love playing the victim, especially in situations they placed themselves in because they lack any semblance of personal responsibility.

fluke
Roku Guru

Re: Did anyone else notice Roku retroactively changed terms and conditions

@BiggBunyon wrote:

Smart TV with no Ethernet cable attached and without wireless configured = dumb TV.  Simple.  We've had our Samsung smart TV dumbed down since it was purchased several years ago.  Works good; lasts long time.

Oh, you are going to love the ATSC 3.0 DRM (also called ATSC-NG) that the FCC approved as part of the standard when using "publicly licensed" RF spectrum to transmit.

Ever run into a BluRay which requires the player to have internet access to play?  That is coming to over the air transmissions as well!  Welcome to the next-gen age in which something can be "encrypted" and "public" at the same time.

The good news is as far as I can tell, none of the current Roku TVs encourage the adoption of ATSC 3.0 (as in none of them seem to support it).

Roiskutrash
Reel Rookie

Re: Class Action? Anyone Interested

I found a work around... I used my Xbox for my streaming apps, and took the TV offline now it works with agreement being accepted lol. Or in other words suck it roku

Roiskutrash
Reel Rookie

Without the agreement being accepted... my bad on the typo

0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

@Roiskutrash wrote:

I found a work around... I used my Xbox for my streaming apps, and took the TV offline now it works with agreement being accepted lol. Or in other words suck it roku

I am glad you found a work around that worked for you.  But I am confused how this showed up Roku.

How does choosing Microsoft specifically show Roku a better model of how to behave a company?

The most frequent complaint in this thread is the behavior of blocking further use of something we already purchased to get confirmation of the user agreement.

In this regard, how is the Microsoft's model the gold standard?  To get access to the streaming apps first requires making a Xbox Live account which requires *confirmed* agreement to the Live account terms of service.  And if I recall correctly, requires a reconfirmation when it has been updated.

Several Xbox authorized/approved apps and games can require additional confirmed agreement which have their own terms as well.  **bleep**, EA may make you agree multiple times to the same exact agreement over and over just for having bought more than one of their games.

Reading Roku and Xbox terms side by side doesn't seem to show that Microsoft makes any attempt to provide terms which are any more customer friendly.  In fact, less than a year ago the Federal Trade Commission felt the need to fine $20 million for Xbox violation of child protection laws.

Based on my own personal experience and other information I can find, Microsoft makes a worse role model on how to behave.

I must be missing something.  Why should any of us follow your lead and buy a $300+ media player?  And what exactly should Roku do different in the future?

0 Kudos
MissMal
Reel Rookie

Re: Class Action Suit - Forced to sign a ( I won’t Join a Class Action suit against ROKU ).

Biden nor Trump have anything to do with this. Everyone is sick and tired of hearing you people throw politics into everything. This is a discussion about Roku, you belong on Truth Social. I don't know why they even let you post that comment.

0 Kudos
Roiskutrash
Reel Rookie

I already owned an Xbox douche bag, I just meant a work around to actually use the TV... doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Hey, no reason for name calling. He asked an honest question and you're being rude. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
byepurple

I started with Roku when streaming became a new thing. I'll bet my family and friends and I have have purchased about 40 roku products over the years. We will never buy another Roku product.