Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing preset channel buttons

I was wondering if there is any way to change the preset channel/app buttons to go to other channels/apps?

25 REPLIES 25
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Changing preset channel buttons

Hi @Bipolarnutmeg,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you want to know how to preset channel shortcut buttons. We can definitely assist with your inquiry.

First, can you please verify what type of remote are you using.?

Please be advised that you cannot re-program a channel button on any Roku remote that has a channel name printed on it but you can definitely arrange your home screen to your liking.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link:  How to move channels on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

However, if you have a Roku Voice Remote that has personal shortcuts. This button creates a personal shortcut and with the press of a single button, you can launch a popular streaming channel, open the Live TV guide, issue an often-used voice command, and more.

To learn more, read the detailed article about creating a personal shortcut button.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Zealspy

Can they supply sticky labels so as to rename the bottom with the new channel assigned.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Zealspy,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We don't have that kind of remote at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion. Feel free to keep an eye on our blog at https://www.roku.com/blog for any future announcements or updates.

Thank you for choosing Roku!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
Abakerco
Reel Rookie

So we are basic at the mercy pf whatever comes on the remote? That seems pretty ridiculous... I just paid for a new voice remote because current one's battery is failing (it's just over a year old...) and the new has different channel buttons. Leaving the channel button up to a **bleep** shoot for your customers may or may not even use isn't good business. The fact that we can assign 2 buttons on the remote means it would be just as simple fix to have that functionality to the rest of channel buttons.

Judjubs

I have an older remote and Google play is no longer am app viable in Roku. Is there a way to change that button as it is no longer useful at all? When I click nothing come up as the app has been discontinued. @RokuJechealR 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Abakerco @Judjubs,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thank you for keeping us posted!
Please be advised that you can't reprogram Roku's quick shortcut buttons, but thank you so much for your input and we value your ideas. To find out when there will be updates, we advise you to periodically read the support blog that @RokuJechealR  has supplied above.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FSUGal1976

I just got a new 1-click tech remote for my Roku TV and I was able to reprogram preassigned buttons

davidjazz
Roku Guru

The reason you can't change the pre-assigned remote buttons is because that is paid advertising. Those companies paid to have their channel put there.

RFT135
Channel Surfer

I have long used programmable remotes from Logitech (now discontinued) and One For All (also other brands made by the same manufacturer).  As I transitioned from a cable provided Tivo to Roku as my primary set-top box, I researched what pre-coded buttons I might be able to use.  I have found many apps to have IR codes internally in at least some versions of Roku.  Accessing them will require jumping through some programming hoops and not all apps are going to be supported by all Roku models.  Although there are likely other methods, I use a programming method supported by a user group called JP1 (http://www.hifi-remote.com) which makes use of a connector inside the battery compartment of most One For All remotes.

Here is a list of the Apps known to have direct access.  I've programmed my remotes with a few of our most used apps.  Unfortunately, one that is missing is my primarily used app, YouTube TV.

App: Netflix
App: Pandora
App: Amazon
App: YuppTV
App: DEEZER
App: Crackle
App: SlingTV
App: Rdio
App: YouTube
App: Starz
App: DirecTV NOW
App: Cinema Now