Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: If you could add ONE feature to your Roku remote, what would it be?

@DanUK instead of your tirade against Roku, couldn't you at least offered them the model number of your TV as requested? The remote works on my Samsung JU Series, so don't know what you mean by no support for "any" Samsung.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
BCL65

I use the Roku remote app. I wouldn't recommend adding anything - I fact, I recommend getting rid of the newest feature...  unsolicited ads for Facebook, Temu, et. al. If Roku insists that I need these ads, then I guess it's time for me to change platforms!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@BCL65 wrote:

In fact, I recommend getting rid of the newest feature...  unsolicited ads for Facebook, Temu, et. al. If Roku insists that I need these ads, then I guess it's time for me to change platforms!!

Unless you want to spring for an Apple TV device, ads on the home screen will be a fact of life for virtually any streaming device. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Packfan4
Channel Surfer

NUMBERS!!  I use the Roku Live TV app and the Spectrum TV app a LOT, and it is SO tedious and frustrating and time consuming to scroll (which is painfully slow) or keep hitting the arrow buttons over and over and over.  Feels like we're still living in the dark ages!  It would be nice, too, if those numbers would work when changing OTA channels, but I'm afraid that might be asking for too much!  

In the meantime, I have a question for which I cannot find an answer on Roku (Support, Community, etc.), so either it's a stupid question or there's an answer that is not obvious, since this technology is new to me (don't ask my age)!  I often use my Roku remote app on my Android smartphone, which arrows/scrolls must faster than the Roku remotes.  But when I'm done using the remote app on my phone, I would like to sign out/log off from my account because I'm utterly paranoid about leaving programs open (and I've never been hacked)!  On Roku.com, I can easily find instructions on how to sign in (duh!), but there are no instructions that I can find to sign out/log off.  I was considering getting info with Roku Smart Home products, but I'm concerned about security, especially if I can't sign out of my account from my phone.  Might anyone out there be kind enough to let me know if there's an easy way to do this, or is it simply not a possibility?  Thank you for your time 🙂 

0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Based on the support, along with the complete disregard for customers and their privacy, I am astonished you are considering Roku security products.  They share your data, there is talk of the remotes recording although I do not know if we could prove that, but they share data without consent.

The best way to secure yourself is not to provide them with data, I am the same with my Amazon and Ring products, even though they have created a mesh network between customers devices, each device has it's own ID and email.  My devices are isolated on the wifi so they can't detect each other and I have set up different networks anyway as many only support 2.4 range.

I actually deleted the Roku app as I do not use it regularly, it is a good idea to clear down Apps you do not use, people often find out months later that Apps they trusted have security or privacy issues.  For performance reasons along it is critical to disable all automatic updates, including the OS and disable Background App Refresh.  When I have sat with family and friends to carry out these "housekeeping" operations they tell me it is like having a new phone. 

0 Kudos
jayjen512

Make a remote that can be paired with all versions of Roku that is rechargeable. I enjoy the games but they use way too many batteries. I have a rechargeable mouse for my computer and it is so cost-effective. With the prices of everything lately, it would be a great investment for any Roku user.

atc98092

@jayjen512 To my knowledge the Voice Remote Pro (rechargeable) will pair with all current Roku devices. I believe it's only some very old players that it can't be used with, such as the very old purple Roku Stick and the Roku 2 XS (which used Bluetooth). But almost any player sold within the past 10+ years it should work fine. Maybe, perhaps, it won't work with the basic Express. But I never recommend that player to anyone because it's single band WiFi and lower power make it a poor choice when a much better player is available for only a little bit more money. The Express 4K+ runs circles around the basic Express and easily worth the extra $10.

Dan

0 Kudos