Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmyHart
Channel Surfer

Roku Remote Volume Problem

I seem to have an ongoing problem with volume and mute buttons. After about a year of getting a new remote for our Roku Ultra the volume and mute buttons start malfunctioning. Repairing the remote to the device and TV doesn't work. All other functions work. The latest remote is the Roku Voice Remote Pro. Does anyone have an idea of what is causing the problem?  JHart

37 REPLIES 37
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Remote Volume Problem

Hi @JimmyHart,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that the volume and mute buttons do not work on your Roku remote. For troubleshooting steps kindly refer to our support article at this link: Why is my Roku® voice remote not controlling power and volume on my TV?

Please keep us posted on how it works.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

These Roku remotes seem to have a lot of issues. Luckily I've never had a problem with my mute and volume buttons not working completely, although there are times when I've pressed them and nothing happens immediately. Mostly I am extremely annoyed with the location of the buttons on the remote in the first place. They should fire whatever 'genius' at Roku who is responsible for the dumb idea of putting the buttons on the right side of the remote, because it was extremely stupid!

You can easily press the volume up & down or mute buttons by accident just by picking the remote up because you have to grab it by the sides with your fingers. These buttons should be located on the front of the remote, just like any other normal remote would have them! That's how the Fire TV remotes are and you never have to worry about muting the TV or messing up the volume just by picking the remote up by the sides. There is absolutely plenty of space for these buttons to be placed on the front of the remote, so a 'space saving' excuse as to why they have to be on the sides I will call BS on! These remotes need a complete redesign and Roku needs to employ basic common sense when designing them in the future!

It's time to redesign a better remote Roku, this same lame design has been going on for too long!

Zorro1953
Streaming Star

I agree that sometimes the volume and mute buttons don't function perfectly - especially the mute - it seems to be especially too sensitive to touch - the slightest touch will sometimes cycle mute off and on over and over again. It just takes some getting used to.

But I am totally against putting the buttons on the face of the remote. One of the things I like best about Roku is the simplicity of the remote. In fact, my very first Roku device had far fewer buttons on it than the current remotes, it didn't even have the 4 dedicated buttons on the bottom portion for Netflix or other services (I would pay a little more not to have these ad buttons at all). It's ridiculous how many buttons my TV remote has and I would hate it if Roku added more top buttons than it already has.

Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

I've had the volume/mute stop working on several remotes, even different models. I think it started after a year or so. Sometimes re-pairing fixes it for a time, but then starts again. Really annoying and disappointing, especially for the more expensive "pro" remote. 

GladBear
Channel Surfer

I just started having same problem after putting in new batteries.  Volume scrolls uncontrollably.  I’ve done all the fixes and nothing works. This 4K Roku is just a few months old.

JimmyHart
Channel Surfer

Same here!

JimmyHart
Channel Surfer

I have had the same problem with remotes for years now!  They last about a year.

GladBear
Channel Surfer

Mine is only a few months old.  I’ve had Rokus for 10 years and never a problem with any remote until this  new one. Timing of this problem coincided with inserting new batteries. 
#Roku4Kextra #Remotevolume

JimmyHart
Channel Surfer

Maybe Roku will fix this problem eventually. At least I know that I'm not the only one having this problem  🙂