Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tvwatcher83
Reel Rookie

Unable to operate streaming stick with remote

I have a Streaming Stick+ (model 3810x) with an original remote (model RC AL2). I am unable to operate the device with the remote. I am able to operate the TV (not a smart tv).

So far I have attempted to re-pair the remote, unplugged the Roku stick, and have installed an HDMI extender (which was suggested to avoid interference). Batteries have been replaced in the remote as well. 

I am able to operate the Roku device from my android phone using the official app. 

What's my next step to try?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to operate streaming stick with remote

When you say "attempted to re-pair the remote", does that mean the pairing failed?   You can use the app to initiate the procedure to "Add a new remote" under Settings->Remotes & devices->Remotes, but what I do to pair a remote is to unplug the power to the stick, press and hold the pairing button until the light starts flashing, set the remote down or hold it close to the stick, and then connect the power to the stick.  Once it starts up it should say that it's pairing.

If you can't get the remote to pair, but the app works, it may be time to replace the remote.  I know you said you replaced the batteries, but make sure you're using good, fresh batteries before you give up on the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tivoburkee

Are you using the original USB cable with bump in it? It's the only USB cable that will allow remote control of the stick+. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Tvwatcher83
Reel Rookie

I assume the "bump" is the piece that has the Roku logo etc. on it? 

I haven't changed any of the cables other than adding the HDMI extender (that I got from Roku).

Although, if I didn't have the USB with the bump, would I be able to operate the stick with my phone app?

0 Kudos
Tvwatcher83
Reel Rookie

Well technically it didn't fail, nor did it succeed. The green pairing light just continues to flash but nothing happens.

I've tried pairing the remote by navigating the app, but I've also done the reboot method you described. 

The batteries are brand new. 

I guess it may be time to get a new remote. It just seems weird to me that I'm able to control the TV (power on or off and the volume) with it but not the Roku. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Tvwatcher83 wrote:

Although, if I didn't have the USB with the bump, would I be able to operate the stick with my phone app?

No, you would not be able to do that. The bump is the WiFi antenna, so if you weren't using the correct USB power cable you wouldn't be connected to your network and the app wouldn't see the Roku. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
renojim

@Tvwatcher83, the TV controls are completely separate from the Roku controls.  Unless you have it set up for CEC control, which you obviously don't, the TV controls use IR while the Roku controls use Wi-Fi direct.  It's possible for the TV controls to work and the Roku controls to not work.  I have one or two remotes that won't pair anymore, but they were apparently damaged by someone (not me) leaving batteries in them with the remotes unused for months until the batteries started to leak.