Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alwinlee
Visitor

How to Create a Channel the easy way.

I have very limited programming skill and am interested in creating a channel with video content. I have read through all the postings and find it technical and very confusing. Is there an easy way to upload my videos, perhaps a third party application that can do this job. I don't want to compile. Please advise.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: How to Create a Channel the easy way.

the easy way = pay someone else to do it 🙂
if you don't want to pay, there is a lot to learn...
aspiring
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

By compile, if you mean zipping up the code and loading it into the developer web interface, I think that's the only way to create a channel yourself. If you just want access to a video file, get a roku with USB and install the USB channel from the channel store to play back relevant file types, or there are other channels to install like Chaneroo which run your pc as a server for your roku device.
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

so if someone just wants to create a private channel using a live video feed from a website, is there an easier way? or one has to start from scratch and learn the programming?
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

"bollywood" wrote:
so if someone just wants to create a private channel using a live video feed from a website, is there an easier way? or one has to start from scratch and learn the programming?

There are channels like CDNTwo that allow you to add a rss feed to your account on their channel.
But as for learning from scratch. The examples included in the SDK are pretty close to allowing you to create a channel (Some of the examples are easier than others, but require you to at least know some programming language to be able to understand what is going on.)
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

well i am trying but all the weird names used for variables(i assume that's what they are), and functions are too confusing.
Hawk Cam

0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

i think i am going to use one of the sample channel codes provided in the SDK and try to make it work.

so for my first channel, which ones of these is easier to work with ?

customvideoplayer
or
simplevideoplayer
Hawk Cam

0 Kudos