Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tooteaching
Visitor

How to add a video podcast

Ok. I'm stumpted. What is an easy way to put video podcast feeds in a channel (and have them play)? What example from the SDK do you use (if any)?
Ive tried plugging the xml feeds directly in the video player. It didn't work.

I've read in posts that some people have been able to do this without modifying brightscript. If this is possible, how do you do it?

If it requires a transfer object, how do I get started with one.

Forgive me, I'm still learning this!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: How to add a video podcast

"tooteaching" wrote:
Ok. I'm stumpted. What is an easy way to put video podcast feeds in a channel (and have them play)? What example from the SDK do you use (if any)?
Ive tried plugging the xml feeds directly in the video player. It didn't work.

I've read in posts that some people have been able to do this without modifying brightscript. If this is possible, how do you do it?

If it requires a transfer object, how do I get started with one.

Forgive me, I'm still learning this!

first you need to verify that your feed (xml feed) includes the relevant data for Roku to use... Mainly does it include video feed paths that are compatible with roku.. Basically you are setting up Brightscript to parse the xml and assign attributes from it to different elements you create like roposterscreens, springboards, and video players. For a general podcast feed that has an xml feed you're not going to need to worry about rourltransfers.
0 Kudos
tooteaching
Visitor

Okay, how do I do that?

Here's the feed I want to use:

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/t ... odcast.xml

I know it works on a roku, because I've ran it in Sunimi.

Please walk me through it.
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

"tooteaching" wrote:
Okay, how do I do that?

Here's the feed I want to use:

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/t ... odcast.xml

I know it works on a roku, because I've ran it in Sunimi.

Please walk me through it.

Doesn't help you on the coding part. But funny you should mention this. I was planning on doing a channel of all cbc's audio and video streams. Planned on releasing it tomorrow when I have a chance to finishing testing all the streams.
0 Kudos
tooteaching
Visitor

Ok. That changes my project a bit. I'll stick to Global National Podcasts and live streams of CPAC. I always thought the CBC should have its own channel anyway.
0 Kudos
willv28
Visitor

Hello,

Actually, I want to do something like this. The CBC XML feed is a lot like the one I want to work with. How could you do this. When I add the feed, I get nowhere. Debug tells me either the feed tag doesn't exist or I get a error. I'm using the videoplayer base code. How can such an XML feed be added without heavy modification.

Current Function:
118: Function getShowsForCategoryItem(category As Object, item As Integer) As Object
119:
120: if validateParam(category, "roAssociativeArray", "getCategoryList") = false return invalid
121:
122: conn = InitShowFeedConnection(category.kids[item])
123: showList = conn.LoadShowFeed(conn)
124: return showList
125:
126: End Function
/tmp/plugin/FGAAAAMHpMk9/pkg:/source/appPosterScreen.brs(123): runtime error f4: Member function not found in BrightScript Component or interface.
0 Kudos
corster
Visitor

Tooteaching, did you ever have any luck with CPAC? I was going to give it a shot but it would appear that the Roku doesn't support live Windows Media streaming.
0 Kudos