Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
METDeath
Visitor

Launch Apps from IR?

So I recently got my Roku 2 XD... and the remote has buttons dedicated to Netflix (don't currently use), Pandora (subscribe to), and Crackle (will be trying them out later).

My question is this, can any other applications be launched from an IR command or is there a way for me to generate my own IR commands? I have a Crestron control system that can learn or be programmed with more IR codes, it also accepts Pronto CCF data.

So Roku folks, how are you doing this? Pulsing something like "App-#-#-#-Launch"? If that's the case, can I get the Pronto .CCF data in either a spread sheet or some other plain text? I'd love to put buttons for my Apps that I use the most on my control system.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Launch Apps from IR?

I doubt this is possible the way you imagine it. There is no reason for them to implement it in complicated way. Considering that this is IR remote that does not get re-programmed like BT one, it will be unwise to hard-code there channel id (like say "12" for Netflix, "28" for Pandora).

Taking heed from the RokuLT manual at FCC https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplic ... id=1548864, the 3 buttons are probably designated as QuickLaunch1, QuickLaunch2 and QuickLaunch3 - and the mapping which-does-what is done on the Roku (even if no user preferences exist for that)

You can of course try capturing the IR codes and see what the structure is.

Can Crestron do remoting over tcp/ip? Because Roku has network remoting protocol
0 Kudos
METDeath
Visitor

Re: Launch Apps from IR?

It does, and I've have limited success with using TCP/IP control of a Blu-Ray changer using Crestron's own TCP/IP control module for it. So much so that I ended it swapping it over to RS-232 instead.

I have the IR codes learned into my current setup, but I don't currently have a way to analyze the structure with the software tools available to me.

And if they are Quick Launch 1/2/3, etc. I'd love to know how to change what apps they point to.
0 Kudos