Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

Memory Limits and Objects

Does anyone know the structure of items created by CreateObject() ?
Also what is the maximum size memory can grow ?

I have a client that has thousands of video files. Every once in a while (not consistent) after two or three hours, the channel goes into a mode where a video has a correct title but all it’s information is incorrect. This anomaly remains even if you exit the channel and restart it.

The only way to correct the problem is to reboot the Roku. So it appears that something as become corrupted.

A show will be completed say from deep within my TV section and I back out to the top level but do not go back to the server selection screen. I then go down into my movie selection and display one of my main movie directories ex. Movies\Science Fiction\Classic Science Fiction.

Most of the titles display fine but several will be duplicated. That is I might see "Destination Moon" repeated 3 to seven or even more times.
Some more facts I have noticed are:
The first entry is really what it says and if clicked on plays that movie.
The rest are not what is displayed and if clicked on play the movie that should be in that spot.
If * is pressed on the first movie info for that movie shows "Destination Moon" as the title and the info is correct.
If * is pressed on any other of the wrong entries you get "Destination Moon" as the title but the info is for the movie that is really at that location.
Playback of any movie seems unaffected.
Exiting Chaneru and reentering has no effect except the titles effected are sometimes different.
Exiting the server and restarting has no effect.
Rebooting the Roku cures the problem and it may go hours without the problem cropping up again.

I have seen this now five or six times so I doubt it is just a fluke however I cannot make it happen in any way I have found.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Memory Limits and Objects

The only things I'm aware of that can persist across a channel restart but get flushed on a reboot are your Transient registry section and the system download cache. If you're not using Transient, could it be possible that somehow the server returned the wrong data for one query, and that data is getting retrieved from the cache after that? I think it's very unlikely that some kind of memory corruption could cause the behavior you're describing -- that would be more much likely to crash the whole box than to make one channel have persistently incorrect data.

--Mark
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

The channel doesn't use the "Transient" registry and all the informational data is retrieved by http GET requests not roUrlTransfers, so it shouldn't be cached.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

you could try appending an "&rnd="+rnd(9999).tostr()

to the end of your URLs to force your server to clear the cache if there is one.

- Joel
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Chaneru server, no cache
0 Kudos