Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canaws
Binge Watcher

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
It's even stranger than that. I'm working on a channel for someone and he has provided me two MP4s for examples. As far as I know he encoded them both the same (not using HandBrake) and one is squished and one isn't. As far as wmv's go, I have an old sample I used to use for testing. Way back when it played fine, then a few firmware updates ago it stopped working altogether. I don't use wmv's and have no problem re-encoding everything, so I don't really care, but it's still strange.

-JT

I'm stumped! It's pretty easy to stump me though, because I don't know much about video encoding. Smiley LOL Maybe you should check both the sample mp4s in Gspot, or something like it, to see if they are really identically encoded.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Good idea!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Robert121571
Visitor

My Media with the pached files in it

Thanks to renojim for the fixes to fix bugs from the new firmware 2.8 I have done this to help the people that want to install this for the first time or not shore if they had the latest release. I got the original file and replaced the files that needed to be updated and just repacked it. So set up is the same as always just unzip to location and run with it.

Once some one gets a hosting site for this I will take this one down but till then here it is.

http://sites.google.com/site/robert121571/MyMedia_fixed_for_new_firmware.zip
0 Kudos
renojim

Looks good. Thanks!

-JT

0 Kudos

I successfully installed and tested MyMedia and it worked flawlessly. Now, how do I uninstall it? MyMedia is not shown in the Channel Store, so do I have to factory reset the Roku to uninstall MyMedia or is there an easy way?

Also, I would like to suggest that you add a comment to the installation instructions (README.textile) about taking the Roku out of developer mode after MyMedia has been installed.
0 Kudos
renojim

Browse to your Roku's IP address (e.g., http://192.168.1.107) and there should be a "Delete" button. You may have to click on "Installer" first, but then you should be able to delete it.

I don't think there's any reason to take your box out of developer mode. I can't think of any, but I can't say for sure.

-JT

0 Kudos

"renojim" wrote:
Browse to your Roku's IP address (e.g., http://192.168.1.107) and there should be a "Delete" button. You may have to click on "Installer" first, but then you should be able to delete it.

Done. Thank you. I did a quick search through all of the SDK 2.7 documentation for "uninstall" and "remove" but I didn't think about searching for "delete". <sigh>

"renojim" wrote:
I don't think there's any reason to take your box out of developer mode. I can't think of any, but I can't say for sure.

There may be no reason, like you say. It just crossed my mind that leaving the Roku in developer mode was kind of like leaving a control system in maintenance mode; not a good thing to do.
0 Kudos
craftsman
Visitor

I'm new to this thread, but have been scouring the past 54 pages of it and am very excited to setup My Media. First I was hoping someone could address these questions:

1) Can My Media transcode on the fly or do I need to convert all my media? If I need to convert it, can someone tell me why this approach is better than something like PlayOn?

2) I've seen various installation instructions and various downloads mentioned over all 54 pages of this thread. Is there one up-to-date place I can go to get setup instructions for My Media and the latest files?
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

"craftsman" wrote:
I'm new to this thread, but have been scouring the past 54 pages of it and am very excited to setup My Media. First I was hoping someone could address these questions:

1) Can My Media transcode on the fly or do I need to convert all my media? If I need to convert it, can someone tell me why this approach is better than something like PlayOn?

2) I've seen various installation instructions and various downloads mentioned over all 54 pages of this thread. Is there one up-to-date place I can go to get setup instructions for My Media and the latest files?

MyMedia doesn't transcode - you need to convert it to a Roku-friendly format. It's still better than other services because it's free, and you have total control over your local network files and file structure. That, and Roku doesn't support Playon any longer, from my understanding. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a much less processor-intensive solution for both the Roku and your computer than something trying to transcode on the fly. Most users here use Handbrake for their file conversions, and I've personally had a lot of luck with it.

http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_server/ is the main site for the project, and has instructions. That said, the latest files are available at http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_ ... eview.html, and you're gonna want to update three specific files above and beyond the latest update (as detailed at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25955&start=765#p215521) due to system incompatibility with version 2.8. Reading through the last 3 pages of this thread should clue you in to all the whys and wherefores of that.
0 Kudos
renojim

Robert121571 was kind enough to update the latest package with the three changed files, so this is all you need other than the Python stuff.

-JT

0 Kudos