Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

When you start the channel on the Roku it should give you instructions on how to proceed. You didn't mention it, so I don't know if you downloaded the server code. Start the channel on the Roku and it should give you a registration code which you then enter from your computer at http://rokumm.appspot.com. It will then walk you through the rest.

Be advised that the Roku is pretty particular about video formats, so be prepared to re-encode your movies.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
huzefa_mehta
Channel Surfer

I am a little confused.

Is this the README http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_ ... EADME.html

Or this one http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_ ... eview.html

In either case, I downloaded Python 2.7 and the PIL requires Python 2.6

Also regarding these points:
Copy your config.ini file from old_installation/server/config.ini to new_installation/server/config.ini to maintain your current settings

Which old_installation is this?

Thanks and regards
0 Kudos
renojim

Those instructions are obsolete at this point. Add the channel with this link, enter and exit the Channel Store to get the channel added after following the link, and then follow the instructions displayed when you start the channel. You need Python v2.6 if you want to use the optional PIL package.

-JT

0 Kudos
sharpedge
Channel Surfer

I finally did the set-up for My Media on my PC, and I have to say it was easier than I expected, and the results are awesome - I thought browsing my music collection might be slow, but it's very fast, all I need to do now is buy a NAS to put everything on. I did have an issue because I initially had file paths to Musics, Movies and Pictures that contained spaces, but once I fixed that it works great. I do have a few of questions though:

- Sizing of album and movie art, what's the optimal size for both? The same album artwork displays perfectly through the MP3Tunes channel, but with My Media it looks a little grainy and distorted.

- I used handbrake to create all the movie files, and nearly all of them turned out great. The one big exception is The Incredibles, which looks fine when I play it on the PC but is very squished (lots of black space either side) when I play on the Roku, any ideas?

- Can you listen to music and have a photo slideshow at the same time? How does that work?

Thanks so much to everyone that's contributed to My Media, after seeing it in action my wife finally sees the need for us to get a NAS 🙂
0 Kudos
huzefa_mehta
Channel Surfer

Those instructions are obsolete at this point. Add the channel with this link, enter and exit the Channel Store to get the channel added after following the link, and then follow the instructions displayed when you start the channel. You need Python v2.6 if you want to use the optional PIL package.

What did you mean by "You need Python v2.6 if you want to use the optional PIL package" What does the optional PIL package give me?
0 Kudos
huzefa_mehta
Channel Surfer

I managed to get the setup and see the folders, but dont see my photo files yet on the screen.

There is a cmd window open which is still running

198.168.1.79.<portnum> HTTP 1.1 GET

something like that
0 Kudos
renojim

"sharpedge" wrote:
- Sizing of album and movie art, what's the optimal size for both? The same album artwork displays perfectly through the MP3Tunes channel, but with My Media it looks a little grainy and distorted.

The art is getting resized (via the PIL package) to increase the speed of photo viewing mostly, but it also affects album and movie art. If you don't want anything resized you could uninstall the PIL package. I'll take a look and make sure things are getting sized appropriately.

"sharpedge" wrote:
- I used handbrake to create all the movie files, and nearly all of them turned out great. The one big exception is The Incredibles, which looks fine when I play it on the PC but is very squished (lots of black space either side) when I play on the Roku, any ideas?

Hmm... this was a problem a while back, but should have been fixed by a firmware update. Which version of the Roku firmware do you have (on the "Player Info" settings page)? Alternatively, try encoding with the x264 codec. It's much slower than the ffmpeg encoder, but you may get better results. I use HandBrake as well and I'd say about 1 out of 10 videos will have a problem of some sort. I've never been able to figure out exactly what the problem is.

"sharpedge" wrote:
- Can you listen to music and have a photo slideshow at the same time? How does that work?

Yes. Start the music then navigate to your Photos. Music will keep playing until you start a video. You can return to the current song display by going to "Now Playing".

"sharpedge" wrote:
Thanks so much to everyone that's contributed to My Media, after seeing it in action my wife finally sees the need for us to get a NAS 🙂

You're welcome! I don't know a lot about NASs, but if you get one that is capable of running Python (I use a Seagate Dockstar), you'll be able to run the server on the NAS and won't need a PC powered on anymore.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"huzefa_mehta" wrote:
What did you mean by "You need Python v2.6 if you want to use the optional PIL package" What does the optional PIL package give me?

The PIL package is used to resize photos and artwork to speed up the browsing. It's optional, but without it browsing photos can be painfully slow.

"huzefa_mehta" wrote:
I managed to get the setup and see the folders, but dont see my photo files yet on the screen.

Did you go into the "My Photos" folder?

-JT

0 Kudos
huzefa_mehta
Channel Surfer

Yes, I did go into My Photos and see the folder. I can see the image file name, but when I click on it, it takes forever and nothing shows up on the screen. I have lots of photos. Would this be an issue?
0 Kudos
renojim

Yes, lots of photos in one folder cause it to be painfully slow if you don't have the PIL package installed. You may want to install Python v2.6 and the PIL package.

-JT

0 Kudos