Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

If you edit config.ini, you shouldn't need to do step 5. Are you sure you deleted all the .pyc files in all directories? I'd probably just delete everything and download it again from here.

Did you side-load one of them via developer mode? If so, browse to your Roku's IP address and there will be an option to delete it.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Pookla
Visitor

Hiya.
Yes, I too thought of that, and changed all my .jps to no more than 300 X 300. still slooooooow.

Next idea is to remove all .jpgs and see if it's a channel or image problem. Will get back to you when I've tested it a bit.
🙂
Kat
0 Kudos
renojim

Make sure if you start experimenting with images that you reboot your Roku. As I mentioned to Icesnake, the box caches images so even if you change one on the server the box may still be using a cached image.

One more question: is it slow moving from "My Music" to "My Videos" on the initial screen? One thing I noticed when I didn't have PIL installed was that moving from "Now Playing" to "Settings" was very fast, but moving from "My Music" to "My Videos" took a few seconds. The "Now Playing" and "Settings" images are stored with the channel, but the other images on the main screen are retrieved from the server. They're in the client/images directory (e.g., music_square.jpg) and for some reason are larger than they need to be.

-JT

0 Kudos
Phil65
Visitor

As is usually the case with me, I can't get this to work. I've installed Python and added the My Media channel to my Roku. The screen comes up asking me to go to rokumm/appspot.com to register, which I do. But every time I launch the channel it does the same thing with a different code, and then tells me it was unsuccessful. Suggestions welcome, and please keep in mind you're dealing with an idiot. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Phil65
Visitor

Just to follow up on my last post, I should have added that I am on a Mac using OS 10.4.11.
0 Kudos
renojim

You should be leaving the channel on the registration screen when you go to register at appspot.com If the registration was successful, the channel should automatically go to the main screen. If the registration fails for some reason, which some people have had happen, there is a workaround by editing config.ini and entering the regid there.

-JT

0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

Has anyone successfully conquered the issue with converting flv videos via handbrake and they playing fine on the Roku through My Media but constantly stop after 30 seconds or so to rebuffer? I've tried changing framerates, making them web streaming friendly, etc. But still get the rebuffer issues.
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

"sourbear" wrote:
Has anyone successfully conquered the issue with converting flv videos via handbrake and they playing fine on the Roku through My Media but constantly stop after 30 seconds or so to rebuffer? I've tried changing framerates, making them web streaming friendly, etc. But still get the rebuffer issues.

I download flv files from Youtube and others and use Freemake to convert them to mp4's all the time. So far I've done about a hundred of them and everyone works with Roku just fine through the usb port. There's no reason they wouldn't work with mymedia. I dislike Handbrake bc its always a guessing game it seems getting the settings right so I have no experience to share on that
0 Kudos
renojim

sourbear,
I don't think I've ever had a problem converting flv files with Handbrake, but I can't say I've done a lot of them. Do you have a link to one that you can't convert?

stratcat96,
if you use Firefox, there's a Greasemonkey script that will add a "Download" button to Youtube with mp4 as one of the options. The downloaded videos will play just fine as is.

-JT

0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
sourbear,
I don't think I've ever had a problem converting flv files with Handbrake, but I can't say I've done a lot of them. Do you have a link to one that you can't convert?

stratcat96,
if you use Firefox, there's a Greasemonkey script that will add a "Download" button to Youtube with mp4 as one of the options. The downloaded videos will play just fine as is.

-JT

It's the videos on the NWA Hollywood Wrestling web site here. I've got them all downloaded and they are flv format - and I can convert them into mp4 with Handbrake. And Roku via My Media will play them but after about 30 seconds, Roku stops to rebuffer, play 30 more seconds, stop to rebuffer.. on and on.

I just encoded one of them with Freemake.. about to go see if it worked.

EDIT: The one I encoded with Freemake wouldn't even play. It just loaded to about 55% and seemed like it froze because it wouldn't do anything else. Also noticed that other videos I already encoded over the last couple of months and that played fine before, now have the rebuffering issue. Wondering if Roku had a software update that is causing issues now with My Media.
0 Kudos