Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
castalla
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Errr .... no luck so far trying to feed a wma stream. It played but it was just noise!

Would be a big plus if wma could play!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The box handles wma files, but not streams. I don't know why, but I kind of doubt that will ever change.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

The roku supports WMA9.2 at least according to their page here http://support.roku.com/entries/423946-what-media-file-types-does-the-roku-usb-media-player-channel-.... You can use VLC to find out what is in your WMA file. You can also try playing file from the USB if your roku has it. If it works from USB suspect it can be made to work from the MyMedia server. Post this file somewhere on the net and I can try to make it work.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

Cheers.

It's a live wma stream I'd like to see working - the app can play wma files, but only mp3 streams.

Here's a test link: http://venus.radica.com/kmfolkestone
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

Any updates on wma streaming?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

No update. It's up to the Roku guys to support wma streams and I doubt it's high on their list of priorities.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

Hi,
I saved a piece of this stream. This stream is encoded in WMA9 codec which is supported by roku. The container is ASF which is also supported by roku. Unfortunately is appears that Audio only streams in this format are not supported. Roku can recognize the WMA extension but not the ASF extension and can recognize the metadata in the file but would not play the audio. If roku would play it I'd say there is a good chance that streaming would work, but now I feel that chances it would work are slim.
That is a nice station and if you really want to play it on roku you can do one of two thing:
- contact roku and wait for the software update. it should be easy to support for them but they may not want to do it for some reason.
- setup vlc to transcode this in to mp3 and forward it to your roku. You can also transcode to aac but MyMedia does not support aac streams. I just tried it and it works like a charm. You need to setup VLC to stream the url while transcoding to MP3 and setup roku to connect to your PC. On my Phenom 9750 vlc uses 5% CPU to transcode in real time.
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

Thanks very much for the info - very helpful.

I wonder just how difficult it would be to incorporate into a firmware update - if wma format can be played as an audio file, couldn't be all that difficult ..... surely?
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

This question should be addressed to roku developers.
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

How do I do that? I assume it's on the Developers' board?
0 Kudos