Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
castalla
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I've raised this on the developers' forum - no response.

Contacted Roku support via chat - no real understanding of the issue (although a pleasant agent!). Suggested an email to customer.advocate, when I asked how to escalate the issue to a higher technical level ...

Email to said advocate - no response.

Not getting much traction on this ...

Anybody got any other ideas on how to raise this and get a coherent response from somebody in the know at Roku?
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

Can someone explain how I get a music folder containing 5 tracks just to play once in sequence?

At the moment, it seems to be on an endless loop. I can't discover where to change this.

Thanks
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You can't change it, sorry. It's meant to always play in an endless loop whether there's one song in the folder or several songs. It will also loop play lists continuously. I prefer to always have something playing rather than silence, even if it's the same thing over and over again.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

Sometimes silence is golden ... would it be possible to add a play once option?
0 Kudos
castalla
Visitor

I've just had a chance to try out the Subsonic Music Streamer. Nice, and it only plays an album ONCE!

However, overall I still prefer MyMedia - but the continuous music feature is really a nuisance!!!

Please, coould you add an option to select looping ON or OFF?

Cheers.
0 Kudos
roens
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"Gunslinger2" wrote:
yes,

<type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'> at /feed
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 2: ordinal not in range(128)

You may be running an outdated version. Jim put in a fix to the server that corrected problems like that for a few users. The developers preview release at github is currently out of date (sorry about that.) If you want to stick with the developer mode installation technique you can use Robert's custom zip: http://sites.google.com/site/robert1215 ... rmware.zip

I too am getting this error, though, I am running I assume a current version, as retrieved a few days ago (May26) via:
git clone http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server

I was seeing this error earlier when I had files in my "Video" folder that used non-plain ASCII characters in their names. The error went away when I moved them to other directories. Now I'm getting it while no such (that I can tell) files exist there. But that's beside the point. It's fairly useless error handling to get this (to me) cryptic error on the server & at the same time to get an unexpected server disconnect on my Roku. I've been relatively pleased with this channel/software for a few weeks now. But can't I hope for more? 🙂 This is aside from the fact that being that I'm using an OS that your code doesn't expect (tho isn't all that exotic: FreeBSD), I had to modify common.py (at about line 46), adding a default value for "default_photo_path" to even get mymedia.py to run.

How to proceed? I'm not presented with error messages I can do anything with (doesn't indicate to me what to do to help the software function as expected), and I'm not all that incompetent… so I must post here, asking for help. Actually, the err I see is slightly different:
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 2: ordinal not in range(128)
0 Kudos
renojim

"roens" wrote:
I was seeing this error earlier when I had files in my "Video" folder that used non-plain ASCII characters in their names.

As you've noticed, this has been an on-going problem. Search this thread for "LANG" for some of the discussion. It appears to be a Python/posix problem and I've never been able to come up with a universal fix other than renaming your files.

"roens" wrote:
I had to modify common.py (at about line 46), adding a default value for "default_photo_path" to even get mymedia.py to run.

I just looked at the code and there appears to be a bug there. "default_photo_dir" doesn't get initialized.

"roens" wrote:
How to proceed? I'm not presented with error messages I can do anything with (doesn't indicate to me what to do to help the software function as expected), and I'm not all that incompetent… so I must post here, asking for help. Actually, the err I see is slightly different:
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 2: ordinal not in range(128)

All I can tell you is that I get the same error with my FreeBSD virtual machine when I use a file name with accented characters. The channel giving the "Server Problem" message is just a generic message it displays when the server does not return a response. The connection will be automatically re-established when you browse to a different directory.

-JT

0 Kudos
mirrors
Visitor

I really love this app. I only wish I could go directly to "My Videos" and skip the root menu since I don't use it for anything else. I'm not familiar with this language but I have tried looking at the documentation. So far it hasn't gotten me very far. I've also tried using the debugger to trace function calls but I'm having a difficult time interpreting the source code. I'm sure there's a simple way to do this so if any devs are around I'd really appreciate some help!
0 Kudos
krtaylor
Visitor

Hi, I am using this app and it mostly works well, but there is one annoying (mis)feature and one fairly significantly irritating glitch. I'd think they would be fairly simple to fix so I'm a little surprised they're still there, so maybe I have something configured wrong?

1. It seems like MyMedia is set up expecting your video vs still images to be stored in separate trees. That's just not how my archive is, because my digital cameras do both still and video. When I unload them onto my PC the files go to the exact same place.
So I just configured the video location and the image location to be the same, that one place. This works, sort of, except that when you're browsing "My Images" on the Roku you can't see the videos in that location, and when browsing "My Videos" you can't see the still images. Obviously the server can serve both the stills and the videos; is there some reason it can't do them both in the same index?

2. This may be related to #1 above. When browsing still images, the thumbnails display correctly for each image. When browsing videos, however, they don't. In a given directory, the right number of thumbnails are displayed with their correct names, but the actual image displayed is all exactly the same - normally one of the still images found in that same directory.

Is this something that can be fixed? It doesn't make MyMedia unusable but is annoying. Also, a helpful feature would be to display the server version number on the "Personal MyMedia Server" page you access via your browser. I don't have any good way to find out whether I am using the most current version, maybe these bugs have already been fixed and I just don't know it!

Thanks.
0 Kudos
renojim

"mirrors" wrote:
I only wish I could go directly to "My Videos" and skip the root menu since I don't use it for anything else.

While it seems like it would be simple to bypass the initial screen, it really isn't. The channel opens poster screens over poster screens and having it automatically drill down a level isn't something I'm willing to investigate given that it's all of two remote button presses.

Sorry,
-JT

0 Kudos