Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

roSlideShow and 3.0

It looks like roSlideShow pretty much doesn't work at all under 3.0. I can occasionally get a photo to display, but for the most part all I get are a bunch of isRequestFailed events with an index of -3. The index is supposed to be the index of the photo for which the request failed, so -3 makes no sense whatsoever (and it's always -3).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: roSlideShow and 3.0

I just did a quick test of roSlideShow on v3.0 and it seems to work fine.... Is there a particular example you can share that seems broken??

--Kevin
0 Kudos
renojim

I knew you were going to say that! 😄 It's from the MyMedia channel which hasn't changed. I can get some photos to work, or the first of a large group will sometimes work and then the multitude of isRequestFailed events. I'll see if I can boil it down to a smaller example.

However, what of the -3 index for isRequestFailed? Surely that points to something being wrong.

-JT

0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
However, what of the -3 index for isRequestFailed? Surely that points to something being wrong.

I don't know if it's related or not, but -3 is the curl error code for "malformed URL". :?:
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim

Interesting and all the more so since I just discovered that if you do give it a URL to something that doesn't exist the message index returned from the isRequestFailed event will be -3. However, the index is supposed to be the index of the content list item so you can track down which image is causing the problem. So, I'd have to say there's a bug somewhere.

-JT

0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Any chance there are spaces or other special characters in the file names of the pictures that don't display? I've notice 3.0 is a lot stricter about stuff like that, so something like that might have worked in 2.9, but not 3.0..?
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim

Thanks, but I think I've figured out what the problem is (this Python server is killing me). Still, there's no reason for the "-3" index.

Ok, let me guess - 3.0 uses range requests for roSlideShow and the old firmware didn't, right? I have to say, watching the traffic via Wireshark, the whole process looks about as inefficient as it could possibly be. There's several (fully satisfied) requests for each photo and they're only about 36k each. The previous firmware never made more than one request.

-JT

0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
Thanks, but I think I've figured out what the problem is (this Python server is killing me). Still, there's no reason for the "-3" index.

If the -3 did mean "malformed URL", I was trying to think of reasons it might think it was malformed.

"renojim" wrote:
Ok, let me guess - 3.0 uses range requests for roSlideShow and the old firmware didn't, right? I have to say, watching the traffic via Wireshark, the whole process looks about as inefficient as it could possibly be. There's several (fully satisfied) requests for each photo and they're only about 36k each. The previous firmware never made more than one request.

Sounds a lot like the "Problem 1" described here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39272&p=263775#p261632
0 Kudos
renojim

It looks like that -3 may be some default if there is any problem with the request. By the way, I tried using roSystemLog to see if I could get any more information, but no events fired. I guess it doesn't work for all requests; maybe only video?

I don't know if it's related to "Problem 1", but boy it sure does look like the firmware is inefficient at times.

-JT

0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The roSlideShow component has always required range requests.... It's possible the chunk size has changed.

--Kevin
0 Kudos