Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saltnara

Can't connect to Roku device on mobile app while using phone as hotspot

Jump to solution

I'm having trouble connecting my brand new roku device to the mobile app. I suspect the issue comes from the fact I am using a mobile hotspot off my phone.

I tried using the connect manually option with using the IP address off the device but it says that device doesn't exist on that IP (I triple checked that I typed everything correctly).

I also tried all the basic fixes like restarting and unplugging the roku device, uninstalling the app, etc.

I read a few posts here from several years ago talking about the same issue with noone knowing any tips on how to fix it but I'm hoping someone found a solution by now.

I tried to get help from support but I don't think they were getting it. They kept telling me to just try using a different WiFi network

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't connect to Roku device on mobile app

Jump to solution

Like @makaiguy said. When the phone is acting as a hotspot, it isn't connected to the network it has created, so the app can't see your Roku to connect. Only a second device is able to connect to the hotspot and then control the Roku.

The Roku app will only connect to a Roku device if both are connected to the same private network, and that network has no security enabled that blocked connected devices from seeing each other. For example, if you connect both your phone and your Roku to a hotel WiFi network, the app will not work because the hotel WiFi has that security setting enabled. And you want it enabled, because you don't want someone else on the network able to see your phone or Roku and try to hack into them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@saltnara-

On at least some cell phones (my Samsungs have always been this way) you can either operate it as a WiFi hotspot OR as a regular WiFi-connected device, but not both at the same time.  When using the phone as a hotspot, you can connect a second WiFi equipped phone or tablet to the hotspot and use the Roku app on that second device.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
atc98092

Jump to solution

Like @makaiguy said. When the phone is acting as a hotspot, it isn't connected to the network it has created, so the app can't see your Roku to connect. Only a second device is able to connect to the hotspot and then control the Roku.

The Roku app will only connect to a Roku device if both are connected to the same private network, and that network has no security enabled that blocked connected devices from seeing each other. For example, if you connect both your phone and your Roku to a hotel WiFi network, the app will not work because the hotel WiFi has that security setting enabled. And you want it enabled, because you don't want someone else on the network able to see your phone or Roku and try to hack into them.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Rickstv

Jump to solution

I have repeatedly encountered this on one of my three roku devices and have discovered a work around to force it to connect.

First go to devices in the app and find the one you want to connect. Click on "connect to this device", a 30 second timer will start as it tries to connect. Quickly go to that devices settings and click on "check connection". This means both devices, the app, and the player are simultaneously looking for each other.

Usually by the time the internet connection is check marked on the player the app will be connected with a green dot showing.

Hope I explained it well enough for you to get connected. It works for me. You may have to try more than once if the 30 second timer on the app runs out before you initiate the "check connection" in the player.

Good luck

0 Kudos