Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Streaming Star

Roku Streambar Pro has playback issues on media player

I use MKV files to store Movies.  HD and 4k versions with many different types of encoding.  I have recently added a Streambar Pro to my device pool.  Some very recent files have shown to work smashingly on my Roku Ultra and and unwatchable on my brand new Soundbar Pro.  Incorrect frame sizing, noise on the side of screen, grainy lines in the middle.  I tried to use other copies of files and sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Is the Streambar Pro a poorer version one the Roku Media Player?  Is the OS comparable to the Ultra?  Is it a different OS?  Should I not have messed with fate and skipped the sound bar experience?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streambar Pro has playback issues on media player

The Streambar devices do use a different processor than the latest players. I can't say if that's a good or bad thing, as I've never tried using any version of Streambar. But the OS is basically the same, and should only differ for hardware differences. But the hardware does differ quite a bit compared to the latest Ultra or Express 4K+. 

I do have to say that Roku hasn't made any noticeable updates to Roku Media Player (the video player app) in more than three years. It has many "quirks" (to be polite about it) with video playback, but my experience with MKV files are usually good. But video and audio codec differences in your files might explain why they play well on one device but not another. Remember that the MKV is merely a container, and the objects within that container can vary significantly. Something as simple as the compression level of an H.264 video might cause a problem. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos