Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
e_Nu_66
Reel Rookie

Disney Plus Dolby Vision Roku Ultra

Hi there,

I have an Ultra 2022 hooked up to a Sony A75L OLED. When I'm watching a Disney plus Dolby Vision (DV) content, if I paused or go to Roku home and come back to the show the signal dropped (no signal). I had to restart both the tv & the ultra. Recently when I went to the next episode of a show with DV, the signal dropped again. Is this hardware or the Disney plus app? 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: Disney Plus Dolby Vision Roku Ultra

@e_Nu_66Are you using WiFi or Ethernet connection? If WiFi have you tried using an app like WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar for IOS? Channel congestion tends to be the primary cause of inconsistent streaming so the best solution is switching to a channel that's less congested, which you'll see when/if you analyze WiFi channels

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
e_Nu_66
Reel Rookie

Wifi. My internet connection as per the Ultra's test speed connection is 115 Mbps. Also I would like to add that the problem doesn't happens with HDR10. I bought the Ultra for Dolby Vision. I also used to have the streambar but never gave me trouble with its HDR10 whatsoever.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @e_Nu_66,

We're thrilled to have you join us here in the Roku Community!

We're glad you reached out about this, as we must get it fixed for you. 

Dolby Vision is an advanced form of HDR (High Dynamic Range) available on high-end TV models that improves image quality with more accurate color and contrast details on a scene-by-scene basis.

To determine if your TV supports Dolby Vision, your Roku streaming player automatically checks the capabilities of the HDMI connection whenever connected. To see the automatic settings, go to Settings > Display type > Automatic.

If your TV supports Dolby Vision and you see the message below, you may need to adjust a setting on your TV called FreeSync.

FreeSync may disable Dolby Vision. To correct this behavior, you need to adjust the settings on your TV to disable FreeSync on the HDMI port where your Roku player is connected.

You can refer to the sample instructions below if you have an LG TV, but the steps may vary from model to model and may change when the TV software is updated. When in doubt, refer to the user manual or online documentation for your specific make and model.

LG: Go to Home > HDMI > Settings > Advanced > Picture > Additional Settings > FreeSync > Off > Restart

This article helps you determine why 4K Dolby Vision may not play on your TV and offers options to resolve the issue or choose an alternate configuration. Why is 4K Dolby Vision not working on my Roku streaming player?

Best regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
e_Nu_66
Reel Rookie

Well, my OLED is a Sony A75L not an LG OLED.  HDMI format enhanced is selected for Dolby Vision. 

https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/televisions/all-tvs/p/xr65a75l

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a75l-oled

I chose the Ultra as its the least ad intrusive after Apple TV.  I can use the native Sony Google TV Disney Plus app but I prefer to use an external box and would like to stay within Roku but if its keeps on doing this, I'll just return the Roku Ultra and get an Apple TV.

I will try to select Dolby Vision automatic. Hopefully no more signal drop out. 

0 Kudos
e_Nu_66
Reel Rookie

I finally found a solution.

I disabled my TV's tone mapping for Dolby Vision.

For YouTube's HDR10 - Graduation Preferred.

No more signal drop outs.

0 Kudos