Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lanceman
Channel Surfer

Re: [OS 12.0] UI goes black until I press the Home button

Jump to solution

Yes, only the YouTube channel and not other channels. Sorry for the late reply. I tried doing that method to get the ID, but the black screen problem was fixed before the method was completed.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Re: [OS 12.0] UI goes black until I press the Home button

Jump to solution

@Lanceman wrote:

Yes, only the YouTube channel and not other channels. Sorry for the late reply. I tried doing that method to get the ID, but the black screen problem was fixed before the method was completed.

I've found the black screen is most likely to occur on channels with a prompt to exit.  Now, in my case, it has primarily been YouTube and TBN TV.  Now, with YouTube, it still happens once and a while, but most of the time exits fine.  With TBN TV, it always goes black after dismissing the prompt.  So, what I have found is to just hit the Home button and bypassing the prompt usually avoids the black screen.

Other observations I've made are:

out of the platforms that I use, which are:

Roku

Android / Google TV

TVOS Apple TV

only Roku has the prompt on many apps.  Some such as Pluto TV also have the prompt on exit, on other platforms as well.  Now, not all channels of course on Roku that have a prompt have the black screen issue either.  It's mainly the ones that haven't been updated recently on a regular basis.

As I've said before, If Roku feels it's better to just hit the "Home button" vs hitting "Back" to exit a channel they should officially document that.  The reason I had an issue at first with just hitting home vs back was out of concern of data corruption from not exiting apps the correct way.  However, this doesn't seem to be the case after doing it more to bypass the black screen.

With this said, my Roku Ultra has been pretty stable now.  The problem should still officially be resolved though for people used to hitting "Back" to exit vs just hitting "Home". The other option is, having an option to disable channels asking are you sure you want to exit.

0 Kudos