Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brec
Reel Rookie

Unable to stream (only?) ONE movie - both Amazon Prime or Apple+ Roku apps?

Jump to solution

Night before last  rented 2023 movie "The Holdovers" on Amazon Prime. The start or any fast-forwarded to part of the movie would play fine for 10-15 seconds and then instantly become what I'll call "multicolored snow" -- a dynamic jumble of tiny rectangles. Only the content of the movie itself was thus obscured; audio continued OK and anything else on the screen, such as fast-forward vignettes at the bottom, also OK. Another (free) movie and a BritBox (Amazon subscription) series that we've been watching played OK. The problem movie also plays OK on the Amazon Prime iPhone app. The next morning, the condition still persisting after rebooting the Roku, I spent an hour(!) on the phone with Amazon support with the only result being to consult Roku support.

Last night, on the assumption that this was an Amazon Prime problem, we rented the same movie on Apple+ with the same disappointing result. I think there was a shorter delay before the video content was lost. Other Apple+ content seemed OK.

I'm mystified. The Roku has been in use for about 1.5 years.

4800X - Roku Ultra; Software v. 12.5.5; connections: Ethernet; HDMI to AVR.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brec
Reel Rookie

Re: Unable to stream (only?) ONE movie - both Amazon Prime or Apple+ Roku apps?

Jump to solution

Based on a Reddit thread from last November found after I posted the OP here, it seems that the workaround required to watch this particular movie is to set the Roku to 1080p resolution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Very strange.  So the Ultra is connected to the AVR and then AVR to TV?  Have you tried taking the AVR out of the picture?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
brec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Based on a Reddit thread from last November found after I posted the OP here, it seems that the workaround required to watch this particular movie is to set the Roku to 1080p resolution.

0 Kudos