Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rokiedokie2
Channel Surfer

hyper-saturated playback of certain files in Plex app

Jump to solution

I just bought a Roku Express 4K+ and connected an old Sony Bravia TV. The TV is only 1080p and does NOT support H

When playing some files via Plex, the color space is way off and the saturation is intense. I have to use the TV's picture adjustments to desaturate almost to the maximum and also max out brightness to compensate.

It seems like the impacted files might all be H.265 HEVC. Spot checking shows them with non-HDR colorspaces (BT.709).

I have no experience with HDR, since I've yet to own a TV or monitor that supports it. My first efforts googling seem to indicate a known issue with Roku communicating with Plex on certain models/platforms. I've tried following some of the workarounds recommended in these threads, mainly forcing DirectPlay in the Plex client, with no change. I'm on the latest version of Roku OS & Plex client app also.

TV Specs:

• Bravia 2015
  • Sony KDL-50w800c
  • AndroidTV v8.0.0

Roku Specs:

• Express 4K+ - 3941RW2
  • Software v12.0.0
  • Build # = 4184-E4
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rokiedokie2
Channel Surfer

Re: hyper-saturated playback of certain files in Plex app

Jump to solution

Never found a solution. Ended up getting an AppleTV.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rokiedokie2,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having an issue with the Plex channel. We will be more than happy to assist you. Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is it isolated to one content or channel? (Specify) Please try these troubleshooting steps below.

• Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add the channel.

If the issue still persists, please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rokiedokie2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I removed and reinstalled the channel/app as directed and no change.

When I re-added the Plex app, it defaulted to transcoding down to 720p and the color displayed correctly. When I changed the setting back to allow it to Direct Play the HEVC file, the color was off again. Does this confirm it to be an issue with how the Roku is handling the color space info with HEVC files?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@rokiedokie2, are these MKV files?  If so, see this thread:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Severe-color-contrast-distortion-while-Plex-streaming...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
rokiedokie2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for that thread link. It is right in line with what I was seeing in bits and pieces elsewhere in my Google searches, but the folks in the linked Roku thread were much more thorough and drilled down on the specifics of the bug more succinctly.

That said: are there ANY models in the current Roku lineup that do NOT have the upscaler feature? What about the ones tagged "4K" and not "4K+" ?

0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This is another thread with the same issue that wrongly says it's fixed:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/Update-making-colors-appear-too-red-too-rich/m...

0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I posted an update on the other thread (which has pictures and more descriptions) but since it says it's fixed I wanted to post it here as well. Also, I should mention that I use Ember and the problem happens there too so it's not just Plex.

I've gotta say that chat and phone support for Roku is AWFUL. Not only are they not knowledgeable, they outright lie to you. I would've had to pay long distance charges if I took them at their word. Also every interaction through email or phone escalation takes 3 days. It's completely unacceptable that it's taken 2 weeks so far and so far nothing useful. Not only that but talking to them is sooooooo frustrating. Really turns me off from buying another one or recommending when post purchase support is so bad.

Having said that I was told that a new device would fix the problem as this problem supposedly only affects certain hardware. I got new hardware and go figure, a software problem isn't fixed by new hardware as I predicted.

I got a call from a supervisor last week but I have no way to reach back out to her even though she told me she was taking ownership of my case. Support had me do useless things like factory reset a brand new device and I'm waiting for a call from a supervisor that I was promised would happen today.

We'll see what they say about the problem and if they actually admit it's a software issue that hasn't been fixed.

Jdbausch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I realized this week that I'm seeing the same thing on my Roku Ultra 4802X
Did you get a response?

Also, if anyone sees this that knows, is there a newer version of the ultra that doesn't have the issue?

0 Kudos
rokiedokie2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Never found a solution. Ended up getting an AppleTV.

Jdbausch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The official silence around this is both deafening and embarrassing.
I've bought dozens of Rokus for myself, family and friends since my original XDS, but this is remarkably frustrating how NOTHING has been done or communicated on this.  Makes me want to jump ship too.