roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Postby WilDD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Roksbox gives you the ability to play your own videos and movies, listen to your own music, and show your own photographs on the Roku Digital Video player. Your media can reside on your computer's hard drive, on an external drive, on a network attached storage (NAS) device located on your home or local area network, on a USB attached device (on USB equipped models), on Dropbox, or on a HipServ based device.

Version 2 screenshots.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Multilevel Video Subcategories now supported
Directory Structure Option - no XML required
USB Support

The documentation is located at http://www.roksbox.com.

To access the private channel, go to https://owner.roku.com/add/CU2SC.

The channel code is: CU2SC

After you enter the channel code, go to the channel store on your Roku player and add the channel.

Stream your media from:
- Dropbox
- Google Drive
- HipServ based devices
- A USB Device
- A NAS Device
- A Web Server

See the documentation at http://www.roksbox.com

Current Features

Videos

* Stream your videos to play on the Roku Digital Video Player
* Use XML files to organize your videos, or have Roksbox use your directory structure
* Stream from a web server, or from the USB port (XR model only)
* Categorize your videos by genre
* Unlimited multilevel subcategories
* Can use your existing video organization scheme, or create a new scheme
* Uses GUI software to organize your videos
* Automatically populates movie information and poster art from internet databases
* Resume playback from where you last left off
* Stream YouTube RSS feeds and videos
* Displays the following information:
    Title
    Actors
    Description/Synopsis
    Length (Runtime)
    Year Released
    Rating
    Director
    Genre
    Poster Art
* Pause/Fast Forward/Rewind

Music

* Stream your music to play on the Roku Digital Video Player
* mp3, aac, flac (USB and http)
* Use XML files to organize your music, or have Roksbox use your directory structure
* Categorize by Artist/Album
* Create and play Playlists
* Uses GUI software to organize your music
* Automatically populates MP3 ID3 tags and album art
* Shuffle songs
* Turn continuous play on or off
* Bookmark audio for future playback at bookmarked location
* Displays the following information during playback:
    Artist Name
    Album Name
    Song Title
    Album Art
    Length (Runtime)
    Progress Indicator
* Pause/Skip Forware/Skip Backward

Photos

* Create photo slideshows to play on the Roku Digital Video Player
* Use XML files to organize your photos, or have Roksbox use your directory structure
* Define your own categories and subcategories
* Create your own slideshows
* Uses Gui software to organize your photos
* Shuffle photos
* You decide the amount of time (seconds) to display each photo
* Optionally display captions for each photo
* Pause/Skip Forward/Skip Backward
Last edited by WilDD on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 27 times in total.
WilDD

Re: Streamming Local Media Channel Available for Testing

Postby scrager » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:08 pm

You may want to get involved in this thread:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7a214fee37

You could probably add to the project by helping wubo incorporate onscreen setup in to the channel so that the channel can be distributed as a private channel instead of through developer mode. His server side is a bit more advanced, but it sounds like your channel side may have some of the features that people are looking for.
scrager

Postby dellsweig » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:54 am

I like the approach ElWubo took a little better and hope the two ideas can be merged into one.

Issues:

1) my media resides on different drives on my media server. I do not want to have to re-organize my server nor do I want to have to convert ANY of my media. It is what it is.

2) I dont want to expose my media with a web server. I dont mind having a purpose built server with a single port exposed on my NAS. HTML is way too open an interface and coule easily be compromised. With the Python based server approach (elWubo) I have a single client and a very restrictive server. Much better - in my opinion.

3) I like the on screen configuration of this project. I also like having it available as a private channel.

4) For now, I will stick with the elWubo approach - we will see how these evolve

I think you are going to need to supply a small program - GUI based - to generate the users HTML. Most Roku users will have a hard time with this concept let alone actually editing files and creating html. If you want the reach of this channel to extend beyond the active members of these forums you need to consider this.

Just look at some of the questions that get asked in the forums. I think you will have to agree.....
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
dellsweig

Postby scrager » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:43 am

1) my media resides on different drives on my media server. I do not want to have to re-organize my server nor do I want to have to convert ANY of my media. It is what it is.

Unfortunately for video, you will probably have to reconvert. Transcoding certain formats to h264 mp4 on the fly is just way to processor intensive to be feasable. Some audio may be possible, but I think it is going to be a long time before you see it working for video.

2) I dont want to expose my media with a web server. I dont mind having a purpose built server with a single port exposed on my NAS. HTML is way too open an interface and coule easily be compromised. With the Python based server approach (elWubo) I have a single client and a very restrictive server. Much better - in my opinion.

Just so you know, wubo's python server is an http server. If you know the url of the feed you have access to any of the files that the server is sharing. I can see your point that a full blown web server may have more security holes possible, but you could also look at it from this point of view: an open source web server (apache) has millions of users that find bugs and fix them; the python server has maybe a few hundred users and one developer. Security holes may be found but not reported.

Either way, whatever your server, you want to make sure the server is internal to your house and you have a firewall or router in place to protect it from the outside world.

3) I like the on screen configuration of this project. I also like having it available as a private channel.

If wubo got an on screen configuration in to his project, it could be a private channel. I think if we merged the on screen portions of this project with the server portions of wubo's project, it would be a much better product.
scrager

Postby WilDD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:59 am

dellsweig wrote:I like the approach ElWubo took a little better and hope the two ideas can be merged into one.

Issues:

I think with most web servers you can create ailiases which look like a folder under the root of the web server, but they "point" to other devices and folders that can be located somewhere else.

Python is a web server. I don't believe there is any way to stream media files to the Roku player without using a web server. Roksbox will work with Python or any other web server. I'm using Roksbox on a NAS with an embedded web server.

4) For now, I will stick with the elWubo approach - we will see how these evolve

I think you are going to need to supply a small program - GUI based - to generate the users HTML. Most Roku users will have a hard time with this concept let alone actually editing files and creating html. If you want the reach of this channel to extend beyond the active members of these forums you need to consider this.

I guess you're referring to editing the config file to get Mongoose set up. I can see where that could be a little confusing to the average user, but Roksbox doesn't require Mongoose, it will work with any web server, including Python. I thought Mongoose was fairly easy to install, so that is why it's used in the tutorial. I don't know what you mean by creating html - Roksbox doesn't require any html code. It uses only GUI programs to generate XML files. The user doesn't need to know anything about html or XML.

Just look at some of the questions that get asked in the forums. I think you will have to agree.....

I haven't had a chance to look at the other forum, but by the lenght of it, it looks like a lot of people are having a lot of fun there.
WilDD

Postby el.wubo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:45 pm

If you'd like to join the fun, I'd welcome patches to the client code to move more of the configuration there. If you're a git user just fork the github page and let me know when you have something for me to pull.

All the best!

http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server
el.wubo

Postby ashes00 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 pm

The channel looks nice on my roku. I am trying it out to see all the features

-Ash
ashes00

Postby WilDD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:31 pm

The music documentation is now on the wiki site (http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/Tutorial).
WilDD

Postby WilDD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:02 pm

ashes00 and anyone else - post messages here if you have any questions of problems. Once you get things set up on the server side (your configuration), the results on the Roku side will be worth the effort.

I am also looking for suggestions on how to make things better and easier. If you already use some media organization software, I might be able to make it work with Roksbox. Let me know what you use, and I'll check it out. The more software we can make work, the more options people will have, and the more versatile it will be.

Also, I am looking for Linux and OSX users who would like to help out. I already have one OSX volunteer.
WilDD

Postby ashes00 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 am

WilDD: I have read through entier tutorial, and have to say you are very descriptive, Great job! I know i could get this up and running with my technical level. However this is not very simple for most people to use. Having to install mutiple apps to build the multipl xml files each time a new files is added to a libray is very repetitive. I bet it works like a champ after its been setup. I am always adding more media field to my libray, so it would be a large pain to have to create xml files everytime. Automation needed :)

Something to think about would be, possibly working with someone that could code a GUI to work with an exisiting CLI app for this xml creation. Even better have it run from the DVP client, so its an easy Update video libray button from the DVP client. Regarless i am very impressed with what you have done here. I agree with others, that if you work with el.Wubo & others this could become something amazing that is easy for everyone to setup and use. Take care

-Ash
ashes00

Postby russws » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks!
I got it to work fairly quickly - can't seem to get Mongoose starting correctly as an install, but worked fine for me in console, so that's ok.
Looks nice and professional when done.
One question - what's the minimum XML information needed? For example, I downloaded the Avatar trailer. If I just wanted to do a quick XML file to get that up, what would it look like?
russws

Postby pjoshua5000 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:52 pm

For those that might be having a problem try this.

My IP address is 192.168.1.101

I did not know why it was not working, but had a hunch of why, however I had to do my Work, and could not test my idea out. At first I thought it was that it did not see it. But then I try, taking away the ":80:80" and it work. SO instead of the

192.168.1.101:80:80

I change it to

And 1'm able to see my content. However it will not play it. It must of not be encode right despite it being a mp4. But I did encode it along time ago. Now I can have all my video on my computer. I guess I know what I'm going to do when I get my new laptop/table. I turn this old computer into a media sender. Or go out and get a NAS. I wounder. can the xml file point to videos out side of the WWW folder so you can have video across many partition.

Also the interface is quite buggy. It jumps around alot do to the delay in commands from the remote. Also some times you have to exit out of the channel and reenter it to open one of the sub folder/settings. I just noting it, as I know this is a beta channel.

I also had an idea. That when you select one of the sub channels like Videos, Music, or Photos that you are able to inter into even if you don't got any content or xml files. Or something to yet the user know that the Roku can see the web server even if their is no files to play or view or listen to.
pjoshua5000

Postby pjoshua5000 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Also a quick reboot of your computer, Roku, and/or Roku might also do the trick.
pjoshua5000

Postby WilDD » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:02 pm

russws -

I'm glad you got it working.

I assume you mean you want to generate the xml file manually. It can be done, but it's not recommended because of it's complexity. Here is the XML generated from Personal Video Database for tha Avatar trailer.

<xml>
<viddb>
<movies>1</movies>

<movie>
<num>0</num>
<title>Avatar</title>
<origtitle>Avatar</origtitle>
<aka></aka>
<year>2009</year>
<genre>Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi</genre>
<country>USA, UK</country>
<studio>Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation</studio>
<release></release>
<mpaa>
Rated PG-13 for intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking.</mpaa>
<tags>Friendship, One Word Title, Title Spoken By Character, Paraplegic, Marine, Colonel, Natives, Military, Battle, Soldier, Avatar, Epic, Moon, Planet, Alien, Epic Battle, Future, Tribe, Invasion, Twin Brother, Initiation Rite, Bulldozer, Bioluminescence, Tree Of Life, Twin, Animal Killing, Rebellion, Air Battle, Subtitled Scene, Foreign Language, Bow And Arrow, Hunt, Deity, 2150s, Scientist, Female Soldier, Shot In The Stomach, Exploding Ship, Hunter, Human Monster, Outer Space, Space, Fish, Space Western, Divine Retribution, Social Commentary, Attack, Prayer, Space Travel, Corpse, Young Man, Machine Gun, Motion Capture, Conscience, Biologist, Arrow In Chest, Giant Tree, Death, Survival, Death Of Twin, Interracial Romance, Energy, Jungle War, Torch, King, Fall From Height, Repeated Line, Mushroom, Shot In The Chest, Destruction, Martial Arts, Slow Motion, Creature, Cryogenics, Tree, Betrayal, Alien Lifeform, Honor, Warrior, Redemption, 3 D, Culture Clash, Pistol, Jumping Off Cliff, Arrow, Cremation, Ambush, Fictional War, Warrior Race, Righteous Rage, Grenade, Weightlessness, Logging, Hybrid, Corporate Executive, Violence, Shot To Death, Underwater, Scar, Punched In The Face, Human Versus Alien, Suffocation, Environment, Suspended Animation, Monster, Mysticism, Divine Intervention, Shot With Arrow, Corporate Greed, Male Female Relationship, Shot In The Shoulder, Savior, Power Suit, New Age, Going Native, Ancestry, Bravery, Shaman, Laboratory, Blood, Extraterrestrial, Queen, Alien Planet, Forced Perspective, Soul, Racism, Mercenary, Soul Transference, Swimming, No Opening Credits, Rainforest, Noble Savage, Loyalty, Explosion, Alien Contact, 3 Dimensional, Native, Unobtainium, Engine, Shot Through Window, Bare Chested Male, Cyberpunk, Intercut, Supernatural, Blockbuster, Botanist, Dance Ritual, Saga, Cryonics, Insect, Crushed To Death, Death Of Brother, Genetic Engineering, Alien Sex, Weapon, Smoke, Wheelchair, Jump From Height, Robot, Helicopter, Virtual Set, Leader, Body Swap, Ritual, Threatened With Knife, No Title At Beginning, Goddess, Allegory, 22nd Century, 3D, War Paint, Waterfall, Death Of Father</tags>
<director>James Cameron</director>
<producer>Brooke Breton, James Cameron, Laeta Kalogridis, Jon Landau, Josh McLaglen, Janace Tashjian, Peter M. Tobyansen, Colin Wilson</producer>
<scenario>James Cameron</scenario>
<music>James Horner</music>
<actors>Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Joel Moore, Giovanni Ribisi, Michelle Rodriguez, Laz Alonso, Wes Studi, CCH Pounder, Dileep Rao, Matt Gerald, Sean Anthony Moran, Jason Whyte, Scott Lawrence, Kelly Kilgour, James Pitt, Sean Patrick Murphy, Peter Dillon, Kevin Dorman, Kelson Henderson, David Van Horn, Jacob Tomuri, Michael Blain-Rozgay, Jon Curry, Julene Renee, Luke Hawker, Woody Schultz, Peter Mensah, Sonia Yee, Ilram Choi, Kyla Warren, Chris Mala, Nicole Dionne, Jamie Harrison, Dean Knowsley, Justin Shenkarow, Nikie Zambo</actors>
<description>A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.</description>
<comment></comment>
<tagline>Enter the World</tagline>
<url>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/</url>
<imdbrating>8.6</imdbrating>
<rating>0</rating>
<orating>0</orating>
<dateadded>2/16/2010 5:19:44 PM</dateadded>
<path>Z:\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos\Avatar.mp4</path>
<count>0</count>
<type></type>
<rip></rip>
<length>3</length>
<size>24</size>
<langs></langs>
<subs></subs>
<translation></translation>
<resolution>640x266</resolution>
<framerate>23.97</framerate>
<videocodec>AVC</videocodec>
<videobitrate>814</videobitrate>
<audiocodec></audiocodec>
<audiobitrate></audiobitrate>
<label>Public</label>
<features></features>
<viewed>-1</viewed>
<viewdate></viewdate>
<wish>0</wish>
<bookmark>0</bookmark>
<poster>images/Avatar.jpg</poster>
</movie>

It depends on how much information you want to see on the screen. I guess the minimum would probably be <Title>, <Path>, and probably <Poster>, although it will run without a poster. This is a good example of why I like to use third-party software to generate the XMLs. You get all of this good information, and it does it for you automatically. Some people have complained about having to install third-party software, but I think the benefits are worth it.

You could probably get by with this, but I haven't tried it.

<xml>
<viddb>
<movies>1</movies>

<movie>
<num>0</num>
<title>Avatar</title>
<origtitle>Avatar</origtitle>
<path>Z:\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos\Avatar.mp4</path>
</movie>

</viddb>
</xml>

I've made a few bug fixes to roksbox, and I'm getting ready to release a live demo with several movie trailers, some music, and some photo slideshows. Hopefully I will get that ready this evening. First I have to figure out how to deploy a version update to the private channel. :)

I'm also making it so your media files can reside almost anywhere.

If you have any more questions, please ask.
WilDD

Postby pjoshua5000 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:42 pm

I also notice that if you don't put in a thumb nail picture that the data will not show up on the roku. Maybe it was mention in the tutorial, but I thought it was worth mention any way in case anyone was having trouble.
pjoshua5000

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion