Sirius|XM for the Roku DVP!

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Sirius|XM for the Roku DVP!

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:22 pm

UPDATE 2: The channel is now available via the Roku channel store!
UPDATE: The channel is now ready for beta testing. Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

All,

I'm working on a Sirius|XM channel for the Roku that I hope to have available in beta form very soon. Unfortunately, because the Roku doesn't currently support WMA streams, it does require TVersity for transcoding. It will not, however, require any configuration in TVersity itself. You'll simply need to tell the Roku where TVersity is running, and the application will take care of the rest.

NOTE: The application will require either a Sirius Internet Radio or XM Online Radio subscription.

I'm curious to find out how much interest there is in such a channel, and how much of a deterrent the TVersity requirement will be. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Thanks in advance...
TheEndless
Last edited by TheEndless on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Sirius|XM for the Roku DVP - COMING SOON!

Postby flournoy3 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:31 pm

I am interested.
flournoy3

Postby kumasuki » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:22 pm

TVersity has come a long way since its early days - it shouldn't be any more of a deterrent than needing to run a webserver like Apache for local media streaming channels like Sunimi or Roksbox.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby jcmolet » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:28 pm

I am assuming this will work with the free version of TVersity vice the Pro version ($40 single PC license or $70 Household license)?
jcmolet

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 pm

jcmolet wrote:I am assuming this will work with the free version of TVersity vice the Pro version ($40 single PC license or $70 Household license)?

Yes, the free version with no special configuration beyond the defaults (and being visible to the Roku).
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby Dragline » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:17 pm

I'd be interested. Any chance your SiriusXMStreamer application would work in place of TVersity?
Dragline

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Dragline wrote:I'd be interested. Any chance your SiriusXMStreamer application would work in place of TVersity?

Unfortunately not. SiriusXMStreamer just forwards the client on to the WMA stream after it handles the authentication, so there's no transcoding. I'm hoping Roku will add WMA streaming support in a future update, but for now the stream needs to be transcoded first. I chose TVersity, because I can use it for transcoding without requiring any configuration on the server side. I may add support for other servers at some point, but this is the quickest and easiest way to get up and running at the moment.

For those of you who are interested, could you please note whether you're a Sirius or an XM subscriber? It will help me prioritize things. Thanks!
TheEndless

Postby Bron » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Interested as a Sirius subscriber. I'm OK with having to run TVersity, though obviously will be better when that's not required. Good luck with this!

P.S. Seeing your tag line makes me want to dig out my old HD 1000 and hook it up again! ;)
Bron

Postby flournoy3 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:39 pm

I am a Sirius subscriber
flournoy3

Postby MLB Fan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:12 am

I used to be an XM listener, but after the merger the quality went down in my opinion. I'm certainly not willing to pay 12.95 a month for it. But that said, I'm not here to run down XM, but to thank theendless. This channel doesn't do anything for me, but thank you for putting together a channel that increases our options as Roku owners. More options is never a bad thing.
Favorite channels: MLB (gotta see the A's and Giants), Netflix, Tune In Radio (for KCSM) and NowhereTV for international news
MLB Fan

Postby Ron Tobin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:54 am

I too am a Sirius subscriber and would be interested in the application for Roku.
Ron
Ron Tobin

Postby TheEndless » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:51 pm

I hope to be ready for beta testing very soon. If you're interested in helping with that, please PM me for details. Thanks!

Note: You must be a Sirius Internet Radio or XM Radio Online subscriber to use this channel.

TheEndless
TheEndless

Re: Sirius|XM for the Roku DVP - NOW IN BETA!

Postby TheEndless » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:04 pm

My Sirius|XM channel is now ready for beta testing. I've received some interest via PM from people willing to beta test, but could always use more testers! Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

TheEndless
TheEndless

Postby Pbroom » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:02 pm

I am an XM online subscriber. I would be interested in the beta test. I am not familiar with TVersity. I assume it just needs to be running on a pc or Mac on the local network?
Pbroom

Postby TheEndless » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Pbroom wrote:I am an XM online subscriber. I would be interested in the beta test. I am not familiar with TVersity. I assume it just needs to be running on a pc or Mac on the local network?

Check your PM. I don't know if TVersity has a Mac version or not, but you are correct. It just needs to be running somewhere on your network that the Roku can see.
TheEndless

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion