Roku on older TV's

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Roku on older TV's

Postby doffill » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:12 pm

I have an older Sharp 25" TV which works fine on cable. I have hooked up my Roku to it using an RCA adapter - one which allows the white, yellow and red cable to be plugged in one end and a regular male cable to plug in the provider feed (in input) and an out input for a cable to go to my TV. (Not exactly explaining it very well!) :)

Anyway, it works; I can access main Menu, Netflix etc. Only problem is that the TV flashes back to regular cable tv pretty frequently, then goes back to Nexflix streaming, then back and forth etc. I've turned off my cable box, but that only has the Netflix flash back to blank screen before flashing back.

Any ideas how I can avoid this kind of flashing back and forth. My small HDTV allows me to change the mode to AV and has no issues w/ Roku. I just want to be able to watch Roku channels on the bigger TV.

Thanks for any help you can give.
doffill

Re: Roku on older TV's

Postby RokuPatrick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:17 pm

So your cable box and the Roku are sharing a cable/antenna input on your TV? How do you normally switch between cable and Roku?
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby doffill » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:21 pm

The only way I've figured to do so is to unplug the Roku when I want to watch cable. I haven't found an off-on switch...
doffill

Postby traal » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:40 pm

The RF modulator should have a switch on it to let you choose channel 3 or 4. Whatever it's at now, switch it the other way, and switch to that channel on your TV when you want to use the Roku.
traal

Postby jeffrok » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:43 pm

doffill wrote:The only way I've figured to do so is to unplug the Roku when I want to watch cable. I haven't found an off-on switch...

I don't know if it's in your budget, but you might want to just get a 26" or 32" LCD TV.. They're "dirt cheap" (compared to 2 years ago at least).. You can get a 32" LCD for under $400, and 26" for under $300. To me it just wouldn't be worth having to deal with "glitches"..

If that's not an option, there have got to be a bunch of CRTs for sale used on Craigslist and/or thrift stores like Goodwill.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby WeAreJessica » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 pm

If I am understanding you correctly, your cable box is using a coax connector. Your Roku is using an RF modulator which outputs to a coax. You have both coax connections connected to a splitter/combiner.

If that is correct -
Go to Radio Shack and ask for a coax switch. I'm not sure you can still get on there.
If not, Amazon has one. Just go here http://tinyurl.com/3yx57sz.
You would connect the cable box to A, and the RF Modulator the Roku is on to B. Just switch between them.
If you want to get real slick about it, here's a remote controlled one http://tinyurl.com/3a75yv5
I know I don't like getting my lazy ass off the couch to switch stuff.

Alternatively...
IF your RF modulator has an "RF In" or "ant in", you would connect your cable box to that. Then, when the RF modulator is off (or switched to ant, cable, passthrough, or whatever similar phrase it has), the cable box would come through.

In both scenarios, setting the RF modulator the Roku uses and the cable box to the same output channel will simplify things for you. You can then just leave the TV set to the same channel all the time.

-Miakoda
(of the Jessica System)
WeAreJessica

Postby doffill » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Thanks Traal and WeAreJessica -

I will try your two suggestions -c hanging the channel on the bac kof ther converter seems possible as does the switch.
I'll let you know if either works.

Jeffrok -

I'm saving for a larger flat screen - you're right about the prices coming down..
doffill

Postby adamblumer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:06 pm

I have a similar problem. I use an older TV and hook it to an RF modulator. Then my Roku box plugs into the RF modulator so I can see Roku on my TV. However, if I want to watch a DVD, I find that I have to manually unplug my Roku from my RF modulator and then plug the DVD player in. This works, but it seems like there must be an easier way. Any ideas? I think I'm technically challenged. Thanks.

Adam
adamblumer

Postby renojim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:12 pm

If your TV doesn't have any audio/video inputs, which it sounds like it doesn't, you could pick up an old VCR at a thrift store for a couple of bucks. They usually have two audio/video inputs and you could connect both your DVD player and Roku to it, and its RF output to your TV. It's a little more complicated since you don't say whether you're using an antenna or cable (or nothing), but it should still be better than unplugging one device to use the other.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby SuetyStanes » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:16 pm

adamblumer wrote:I have a similar problem. I use an older TV and hook it to an RF modulator. Then my Roku box plugs into the RF modulator so I can see Roku on my TV. However, if I want to watch a DVD, I find that I have to manually unplug my Roku from my RF modulator and then plug the DVD player in. This works, but it seems like there must be an easier way. Any ideas? I think I'm technically challenged. Thanks.

Adam

There are RCA switches, I think that will help you out. Radio Shack has them I know, and I'm sure they're available on Amazon.

Does this look like it would work for you?
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DT902AV-2-Way ... 305&sr=8-2

Basically, you'd run RCA cables from this to your DVD player and your Roku, then run a set from this to your modulator. Then click the buttons to switch between them.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your setup/problem?
SuetyStanes

Postby adamblumer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Very, very helpful. Thank you. No, I don't have cable. I cut it for Roku/Netflix and so glad I did.

My setup is: VCR, DVD recorder, Roku, stereo amplifier, speakers, TV. Getting all these components to work together with an older TV that has only a coaxial output (using an RF modulator) has been a headache, to put it mildly. I'll check out the recommended product. I believe this would work as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28750-C ... roduct_top

But I'm not completely sure how this would connect to my RF modulator. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks.

Adam
adamblumer

Postby hn333 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Buy a new TV. The economy will thank you.
hn333

Postby adamblumer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:58 am

JT, I do have a VCR. Could you explain these hookups in detail? I'd like to try it, but I'm not clear. Thanks.

Adam
adamblumer

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 am

I would not suggest you hook up your Roku through the VCR. Netflix uses Macrovision copy protection through the RCA jacks. If you run it through a VCR your image brightness will cycle bright/dark and drive you mad. :evil:
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby adamblumer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:26 am

Oh, thanks, Bolo. I definitely don't want that. :?

Adam
adamblumer

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion