Playon for Roku Feedback

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby dreinhard » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:42 am

I have been using skyber Playon Channel for about 1 month now and have tried the new one for the past week. I did have SOME Success by changing the video quality setting from Auto to medium on the Playon settings(obviously, stopping the restarting the Palyon service). I still do get some rebuffering but far less than before. If anyone tries this, post your results so we can see if it makes a difference.
dreinhard
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby scyber » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:59 am

dreinhard wrote:I have been using skyber Playon Channel for about 1 month now and have tried the new one for the past week. I did have SOME Success by changing the video quality setting from Auto to medium on the Playon settings(obviously, stopping the restarting the Palyon service). I still do get some rebuffering but far less than before. If anyone tries this, post your results so we can see if it makes a difference.


Out of curiousity, did you notice more or less rebuffering with the official channel (vs my unofficial one)? Did you ever try the low quality setting of my unofficial channel (in the channel settings)?
scyber
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby Bee » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:10 pm

I don't think I like or understand the basic concept of the PC with its PlayOn server and the Roku having to be on at the same time. Why such a contraption? Connecting my laptop PC directly to the TV by VGA cable is simpler.
Bee
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby dreinhard » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:15 pm

scyber wrote:
dreinhard wrote:I have been using skyber Playon Channel for about 1 month now and have tried the new one for the past week. I did have SOME Success by changing the video quality setting from Auto to medium on the Playon settings(obviously, stopping the restarting the Palyon service). I still do get some rebuffering but far less than before. If anyone tries this, post your results so we can see if it makes a difference.


Out of curiousity, did you notice more or less rebuffering with the official channel (vs my unofficial one)? Did you ever try the low quality setting of my unofficial channel (in the channel settings)?


Rebuffering is about the same w/ both. I did not try the low setting with your channel or this channel. I posted some thoughts when you released your developed channel and still believe this would probably have a better chance of getting worked out with PlayOn being involved. I developed my own local media access channel for the Roku and to me it looks like we are pretty limited in what we can tweak as far communications from a stream to the Roku player. PlayOn probably has far more control over how it can serve the stream to the client (Roku). Just my thoughts.

D
dreinhard
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby jhernes » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Bee wrote:I don't think I like or understand the basic concept of the PC with its PlayOn server and the Roku having to be on at the same time. Why such a contraption? Connecting my laptop PC directly to the TV by VGA cable is simpler.


Would that be the same case as......Airplay for you?
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:02 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby scyber » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm

dreinhard wrote:
scyber wrote:
dreinhard wrote:I have been using skyber Playon Channel for about 1 month now and have tried the new one for the past week. I did have SOME Success by changing the video quality setting from Auto to medium on the Playon settings(obviously, stopping the restarting the Palyon service). I still do get some rebuffering but far less than before. If anyone tries this, post your results so we can see if it makes a difference.


Out of curiousity, did you notice more or less rebuffering with the official channel (vs my unofficial one)? Did you ever try the low quality setting of my unofficial channel (in the channel settings)?


Rebuffering is about the same w/ both. I did not try the low setting with your channel or this channel. I posted some thoughts when you released your developed channel and still believe this would probably have a better chance of getting worked out with PlayOn being involved. I developed my own local media access channel for the Roku and to me it looks like we are pretty limited in what we can tweak as far communications from a stream to the Roku player. PlayOn probably has far more control over how it can serve the stream to the client (Roku). Just my thoughts.

D


eluttmann is in direct communication with PlayOn. We are experimenting with different HLS settings to better optimize the stream. Unfortunately since everyone has various different computer speeds and configurations, there is no one configuration that will be perfect for everyone. So we are trying to come up with a solution that provides the best performance we can automate, with options for the user to customize in case of issues.
scyber
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby RoadRanger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:09 pm

scyber wrote:I just wanted to give everyone here an update. eluttmann and I have been in contact the last few days and will be working together to produce a single Roku PlayOn channel.
That's awesome! Thanks to both of you and to PlayOn for working hard to make this channel the best it can be :) .
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby mgfarkas » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 pm

dreinhard wrote:I have been using skyber Playon Channel for about 1 month now and have tried the new one for the past week. I did have SOME Success by changing the video quality setting from Auto to medium on the Playon settings(obviously, stopping the restarting the Palyon service). I still do get some rebuffering but far less than before. If anyone tries this, post your results so we can see if it makes a difference.


Under scyber's version when I changed video quality from auto to high within the playon app settings it helped reduce the rebuffering. For the new "official" version keeping that setting to High plus using the Increase buffering setting within the actual Roku channel settings improved it further to the point rebuffering is no longer an issue for me.
mgfarkas
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby FX4 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Just to let you know I am running the official version and it is rebuffering. I am not resource constrained in any way. PlayOn isn't even putting a dent in my processing power. It's something else causing this, not available PC resources or network connectivity. I had an incident where I was half way through a show, it rebuffered and started from the beginning. Oddly when I hard wire my Roku the problem got worse. I did notice that the problem seems worse when people got from work and are online. My gut feeling is this has something to do with jitter screwing up the stream. BTW, I also own an iPad that uses the same interface and it's flawless watching the same shows.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby pjoshua5000 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 pm

I got the playon up and running. I notice that sometimes the Playon app on my computer eat up all the ram (1 GB) and then the system freezes. However I did notice that I was able to fast forward and rewind once all the content was download. A few times so far near the end of the show it kicks out. The first time I had to restart and was unable to resume playback and get to the last 7 minutes without having to re watch everything. But I did restart me computer. left.


The second time it did not crash and I was able to playback and fast forward to were I was. Its some what buggy and I don't know if its worth paying for. But for me it works "ok". For my family, who just cut the cord today, however (no cable for us any more) it might be problematic to get it to work and solve some of the inconvenience.

But for the most part I use it to watch Hulu and TV.com. And I the quality of the video is alright. I did notice that there was some cropping where I only saw half of the "ticking time" left on the ads.

Over all it shows promise. I have to do more testing to see if its worth the $80. (I think that is the cost of a life time service)
pjoshua5000
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby FX4 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I GB of RAM is seriously thin for a modern OS. You need at least 2GB.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby tdogver10 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 pm

i have read all the post, clicked the links and still have no idea. is playon available for roku or not? i enter all the codes and get invalid? can someone simplify tell me how to get it if it is available. i have downloaded the software to my puter, i have clicked on everthing under the sun still nothing. not in channel store or any where. what gives?
tdogver10
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:42 am

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby RokuPatrick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi everyone,

While we understand that many of you are excited about a PlayOn-compatible Channel and may be using it, it unfortunately presents the possibility of legal exposure for us. As a result, the current PlayOn channels have been removed and are no longer available to add to your Roku player.

Patrick
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
User avatar
RokuPatrick
 
Posts: 3807
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: Saratoga, CA

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby katholc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:29 pm

I know this may be a dumb question, but why would Playon send me an email with a code included if theres no agreement between the 2 companies?
katholc
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Playon for Roku Feedback

Postby K9man » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:13 pm

I have 2gb of ram with a dual core processor. I do get 1 rebuffer per show that I watch. To be honest, the only channels I use Playon for is Hulu and TV.com ( at least 90%). Since Hulu will have it's own channel does anyone know can Tv.com get it's own channel? The buffering is annoying and a drawback for for owning the roku (I'll still keep mine). Especially seeing that people with faster computers are having the same problems.
K9man
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:39 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests