Roku DLNA Support

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku DLNA Support

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:02 pm

The purpose of this topic is to entice the Roku staff into discussing the status of DLNA support being added to the Roku units.

Well, Roku? What is the status of DLNA support being added to the Roku units?

Just curious.
CalvinMcGowan

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby neowolf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:06 pm

I must admit, this would seal my Roku as the king of my entertainment center all the more.
neowolf

Postby j883376 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:14 pm

They've said that it's planned and haven't given any indication of when such a thing would be possible.
j883376

Postby cangel0612 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:58 am

CalvinMcGowan wrote:The purpose of this topic is to entice the Roku staff into discussing the status of DLNA support being added to the Roku units.

Good luck with that... :)

TheEndless made an interesting point on another forum that it was engadget who said that Roku "told them" that they might offer DLNA in the future.

Ultimately, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Roku HD
HDTV 720p HDMI 37"
Cox Internet Premier
No cable/sat service :)

Roku Private Channel List: http://almostaccurate.com/roku/
cangel0612

Postby Saqqara » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 am

Since I think given the stated purpose of this thread you want it to be bumped often... tell me what DLNA would allow us to do that we can't do now?

Ability to stream local content from network attached storage? That used to be important to me, but I don't have a NAS anyway, and now we have solutions for streaming from USB, hacking old Rokus to give them USB, streaming via a web server running on a local pc using Chaneru, MyMedia, Sunimi, Roxbox... I think there's at least one more. Some of these projects have succeeded in putting servers on NAS, but not for the faint of heart I think.

I'm not arguing against, so much as curious what potential DLNA has that I'm missing.
Saqqara

Postby scyber » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:58 am

Saqqara wrote:Since I think given the stated purpose of this thread you want it to be bumped often... tell me what DLNA would allow us to do that we can't do now?

Ability to stream local content from network attached storage? That used to be important to me, but I don't have a NAS anyway, and now we have solutions for streaming from USB, hacking old Rokus to give them USB, streaming via a web server running on a local pc using Chaneru, MyMedia, Sunimi, Roxbox... I think there's at least one more. Some of these projects have succeeded in putting servers on NAS, but not for the faint of heart I think.

I'm not arguing against, so much as curious what potential DLNA has that I'm missing.

A few advantages of DLNA of the top of my head:
1) DLNA servers support multiple different clients/devices automatically, the server solutions you list above are roku specific and/or only support a small subset of devices. If you have 1 TV with 1 roku it doesn't really make a difference. If you have multiple TVs with a myriad of connected devices it does make a difference.
2) Some DLNA servers support transcoding, since the roku only supports a limit set of codecs and containers, the ability to automatically transcode content is a benefit.
3) Easy/No configuration: DLNA devices automatically discover each other on the network. So when adding new devices and/or IP addresses change on your network, you shouldn't need to make any configuration changes.
scyber

Postby RoadRanger » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:03 am

Saqqara wrote:Since I think given the stated purpose of this thread you want it to be bumped often... tell me what DLNA would allow us to do that we can't do now?
Get Hulu via PlayOn again :) . Access your video files without having to re-encode them for the super finicky Roku :( .
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Saqqara wrote:I'm not arguing against, so much as curious what potential DLNA has that I'm missing.

I was going to write an answer to your question, but after reading scyber's and RoadRanger's posts, I feel your question has pretty much been answered. I'm just responding to let you know I am not ignoring you.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:33 pm

cangel0612 wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:The purpose of this topic is to entice the Roku staff into discussing the status of DLNA support being added to the Roku units.

Good luck with that... :)

One can only hope for a response from Roku, eh?
CalvinMcGowan

Postby RokuPatrick » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:34 pm

To address the rumors, there is no DLNA coming in November. We don't comment on unannounced/unreleased featured, generally. We realized that there's a set of users that wants DLNA functionality and perhaps at some point we will offer it. We have added SSDP, the discovery protocol used by UPnP/DLNA to help enable developer of network-based control and automation apps to discover Roku player on the local network. That may have been a source of confusion.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby CalvinMcGowan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:38 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:To address the rumors, there is no DLNA coming in November. We don't comment on unannounced/unreleased featured, generally. We realized that there's a set of users that wants DLNA functionality and perhaps at some point we will offer it. We have added SSDP, the discovery protocol used by UPnP/DLNA to help enable developer of network-based control and automation apps to discover Roku player on the local network. That may have been a source of confusion.

Thank you for the response.
CalvinMcGowan

Postby Saqqara » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks, Patrick.

Another DLNA application that would be cool to have: Windows 7's Play To feature. You would essentially right-click a video file and pick Play To, Roku (wish), and it would be up on the big screen. I don't know if it transcodes, and in fact doubt it does, but would be nice to be able to have a wireless second monitor for media playback from a laptop on the coffee table.

Seems to me that DLNA/UPNP is something people look for on the specifications sheets prepurchase, and affords interoperability with other hardware folks might have... and most importantly, is another interface that could potentially fuel some really creative mashups that help keep the platform exciting and growing.
Saqqara

Postby RoadRanger » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:53 am

Personally, DivX and MP2 support is all I want (and i could do without the MP2) - 99% of the video on my NAS is in those formats and would stream via RoksBox just fine without DLNA :) .
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database
RoadRanger

Postby admiraljkb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:38 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:To address the rumors, there is no DLNA coming in November. We don't comment on unannounced/unreleased featured, generally. We realized that there's a set of users that wants DLNA functionality and perhaps at some point we will offer it. We have added SSDP, the discovery protocol used by UPnP/DLNA to help enable developer of network-based control and automation apps to discover Roku player on the local network. That may have been a source of confusion.

Nuts. I got the Roku primarily for DLNA to replace my aging Dlink 520's which play movies currently from the NAS, and to also use it for Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon to possibly replace my cable. Mea culpa... I know I should have researched the Roku better, but DLNA is a given for network media players and I'd seen some mentions in reviews that it was coming this month. It's so much easier to play movies, music, and photos locally than across the internet. I was going to replace both of the Dlink's and add another for the guest room. But, oh well. I'll have to find something else, and more thoroughly research this time.

The purpose of my post? - I'm annoyed that I have to return the Roku tomorrow because of critical missing functionality of a network media player (DLNA), and wanted to make sure this was noted. (and I vented a little frustration)

Thanks
admiraljkb

Postby wpbear » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:24 am

I have a WD TV Live + and a Roku HD. I am looking for two more boxes and if DLNA was added to Roku I would have already bought two more. But since I am a little disappointed with the WD Live even though it has all the features, and Roku is lacking features like DLNA; I am not buying. Seems like companies continue to blame a bad economy for slow sales...I blame companies for not putting products out that are worth the money
wpbear

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion