Roku DLNA Support

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby virtio » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Well I ended up here after I hastily bought a bunch of Roku XDs and later read the fine print only to find out that they don't offer one of the features that I really wanted and thought for sure that they had. I'm still hanging out because I really want to like the Roku and think it's a nifty device. I think that Roku will eventually add DLNA either to the current model or a new model in the not to distant future. With the vast number of streamers out there, and more to come, the pressure will be on to add more features or new models with new features, just to keep up. It's just a matter of time IMHO.
virtio
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby bobzarry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:23 pm

vmps wrote:
bobzarry wrote:Just as I thought no figures, no links, just a bunch of nothing.


Well, you sure got me. :oops: And you can even prove me wrong by pointing to your data showing that roku is losing significant sales because of a lack of DLNA, that the market targeted by roku (which is different than that targeted by other devices) is eager for DLNA, that the development and licensing costs are low enough to make the addition profitable if the market surveys are favorable, that the support costs are low enough (especially for the device's target market) to not crater the company, etc. Barring that, all YOU have is a bunch of nothing that (and here's the really weird part) is mostly from a small but vocal group of people who have stated they are either not buying or are returning their roku because the box doesn't do what they want, yet still hang out in the forum for a product they don't even own or want. :roll:



I would say that the views alone to this post "Roku DLNA Support" shows that there is great interest in having just that. But then again if you read through all my post I did not go out on a limb talking through my ......... (fill in the blanc) without anything to back it up. And yes I am still here if only just to irritate you.
The odd thing with "fan boys" of any product is how blindly they will follow and and adhere to some widget that will never care back.
At the end of the day its just a bunch of plastic and wires. And frankly for me this has been nothing more then another form of entertainment while I did some research into what box to go with after making a horrible mistake and purchasing the Roku. BTW have you noticed how many post complain about the same thing on here? Good thing no one is looking for easy streaming of their files from their computers.
I still think Roku could pull this one off if they can add DLNA but I doubt that will happen and eventually people wont even remember that it existed.
As a consumer I just cant understand why anyone would want to buy a product that does so much less then other products out there in it's same class for the same price range.

I will however take my hat off to the mods. They are either very tolerant of all points of view or are just not watching.
bobzarry
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby vmps » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:43 pm

bobzarry wrote:The odd thing with "fan boys" of any product is how blindly they will follow and and adhere to some widget that will never care back.


Oh, snap, you got me again! It COULDN'T POSSIBLY be that I'm satisfied with a product I got (after researching the alternatives, and choosing the best option after careful consideration). I must be a blind Person of Good Streaming Taste. Probably engaging in some kind of unnatural relationship with a product that can't love me back. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Yet another hotrodder goes on about how the product can't work without some buzzword compliance, I disagree, and for some reason it really twists your shorts. Get over it.

As a consumer I just cant understand why anyone would want to buy a product that does so much less then other products out there in it's same class for the same price range.


Because, like many people, I don't have a bunch of crummy ripped movies on a hard disk, don't particularly want a box aimed at playing lousy ripped movies off a hard disk, and do want a product that's really simple for the rest of the family to play movies off a couple of internet streaming sites. The market roku has been aiming for has always been people looking for a simple solution to stream stuff on the internet. If that's not what you want, you're simply not the target market--but it's fairly obnoxious to argue that people who did purchase the device for exactly that reason are somehow deluded or misguided. Yes, the roku lacks compliance with a particular buzzword, but I haven't seen anything in the price range that does what roku does anywhere near as well. That's the answer. If you don't understand it, well...can't help.

I look forward to you next vacuous yet entertaining retort.
vmps
 
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:48 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby kbenson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:49 pm

bobzarry wrote:The odd thing with "fan boys" of any product is how blindly they will follow and and adhere to some widget that will never care back.


So what so we call someone that sticks around the forum of a product they profess to hate, just to stir up trouble?

bobzarry wrote:And yes I am still here if only just to irritate you.


I never would have guessed.

In all seriousness, I don't consider you a troll (yet). I am curious though, for someone who has already made up their mind on the product, and plans to return the unit(s?) he has, why do you care? Are the discussions on this board actually making you reconsider, or are you here purely to argue?
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
kbenson
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 am
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby bobzarry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:43 pm

kbenson wrote:
bobzarry wrote:The odd thing with "fan boys" of any product is how blindly they will follow and and adhere to some widget that will never care back.


So what so we call someone that sticks around the forum of a product they profess to hate, just to stir up trouble?

bobzarry wrote:And yes I am still here if only just to irritate you.


I never would have guessed.

In all seriousness, I don't consider you a troll (yet). I am curious though, for someone who has already made up their mind on the product, and plans to return the unit(s?) he has, why do you care? Are the discussions on this board actually making you reconsider, or are you here purely to argue?


The fact is as I have stated before, I think the Roku has a lot of potential. I work in the advertising agency of a major manufacturer (not media related) and it irks me to see the half ass way products are put out these days. I have read through many threads here from people that feel the same way. A they purchase an item only to find out it's a crippled device. And you can argue all you like about the Roku never having meant to be a DLNA streaming device, but frankly the ads for the device can be misleading in a world where most of these devices are DLNA compliant. And as far as I can see no where does Roku state " we are not DLNA compliant". So the average consumer takes it for granted and is left highly disappointed in the product.
I do understand that many of you are happy with your purchase of this product as is. However many are not and that is evident by the posts on here.
So as someone who spent his hard earned cash on this product ...yes I care.
On another note it truly bothers me when someone elects themselves spokesman for the masses and just throws out a bunch of BS as though it were documented fact. When that happens I will call them on it.
I am pretty much done here now as my new box should arrive within a day or so and then I can go give that site the business. In the mean time never settle for less then greatness. When companies know you will settle for crap.... crap is what you will get. When you can influence a company to do better and you purchase that product knowing its as good as it is because you gave a <Force equals mass times acceleration> that they built a good product then you can feel proud of your purchase and of your self.
bobzarry
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby TheEndless » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:01 pm

bobzarry wrote:So the average consumer takes it for granted and is left highly disappointed in the product.

And I would argue that the "average consumer" doesn't even know what DLNA is. The bottom line is, you didn't do your research, and you're trying to shift the blame from yourself. If you honestly think logging into a company's forums and posting nearly 50 times in less that a week that their product is "crap" is the way to encourage them to make it better, then you are seriously misguided.

bobzarry wrote:I am pretty much done here now as my new box should arrive within a day or so and then I can go give that site the business.

We can only hope...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8061
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby Alfmeister » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 am

I haven't been following this thread all that intently but I would love to see someone go to the forums where Bob's 'dream box' is discussed. I give it 48 hours before the honeymoon is over and he is asking why oh why can't I just have everything (for under $100.)
I recommend Roku products just as I have recommended Oppo products because small companies that are selling essentially one thing have to do that one thing well or else go out of business. (Case in point the Boxee Box.) The number of customized apps that are available for the Roku will never be reproduced on an Sony, LG or Samsung. The MainSqueeze app is absolutely fabulous and easy to use but I know it's user base is small because most Roku users just want a device that's easy to use and flexible as well. DLNA is simply not something most owners will ever use or even understand.
Alfmeister
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby vmps » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:03 am

bobzarry wrote:And as far as I can see no where does Roku state " we are not DLNA compliant".


hahaha, you work in advertising and you suggest that every product's ads should have an extensive list of everything it doesn't do? hahahaha.

However many are not and that is evident by the posts on here.


Yup. A whole few dozen people who couldn't be bothered to check the specs before buying, out of the millions sold. Boo hoo.

On another note it truly bothers me when someone elects themselves spokesman for the masses and just throws out a bunch of BS as though it were documented fact


Does make me wonder why you keep doing it.

you can feel proud of your purchase and of your self.


First you throw up a straw man about people feeling too attached to their products, now you seek validation through your purchases? Weird.
vmps
 
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:48 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby silverhippie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:05 am

When I buy a product, I usually try to find a forum that has postings about the product so that I may learn. I look at both the pros and cons of the product. If I don't like this product, I return it, or stop using it. I cannot think of one instance of sticking around the products forums after stopping use of the product. To simplify what I just said:

WTF are you still hanging around? The only logical reason I can come up with is that there is something in it for YOU.

I Love My Roku.
silverhippie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:10 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby TheEndless » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:46 am

Alfmeister wrote:I haven't been following this thread all that intently but I would love to see someone go to the forums where Bob's 'dream box' is discussed. I give it 48 hours before the honeymoon is over and he is asking why oh why can't I just have everything (for under $100.)

You won't see it, because most companies delete any negative posts about their products in their forums. Roku doesn't, which is one of the reasons babzarry is able to find a few other users who share his view, and another area where Roku outshines the competition.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8061
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby Crow550 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Well for now DLNA is not here. It might come in the future.

Lets just leave it at that.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby Wiley_Coyote » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:25 am

DLNA? Roku doesn't even seem to support RSP on their current devices--a protocol THEY developed (for their Soundbridge product).

UPnP should be supported too... but I think we're out of luck there too.
Wiley_Coyote
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby gotok » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:57 pm

For some reason Engadget still thinks Roku will be getting DLNA soon. Here is a recent quote:

"<The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics>, even Roku is promising DLNA support in the near future."

This if from today's review: "HTC Media Link DLNA streamer review"
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/30/htc-media-link-dlna-streamer-review/

I wonder what Roku said to Engadget to lead them to believe this.
gotok
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby kc8pql » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Not likely to happen.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 8233
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Roku DLNA Support

Postby socantra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:40 pm

It is not what Roku does at this time.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PeteLP, tkfan75 and 33 guests