[Private Channel] TV.com (No longer available)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: [Private Channel] TV.com (TVCOM)

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 pm

dwd500 wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
dwd500 wrote:I'm getting the same thing. The channel says 1.1, but I have no idea how to update the firmware. It says 1509 in the settings, but when I ask it to search for updates, it can't find any.
I so want this channel to work.

"Check for updates" under "Player Info" says none are available?

That's what it says. It said that I was up to date.

Interesting.. I guess they haven't rolled it out to everyone, yet. If you're still on 1509, give this version of the channel a try, and let me know if it works for you: https://owner.roku.com/add/R5SMB
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dwd500 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:05 pm

That one works great. Thanks!
dwd500

Postby TheEndless » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 pm

dwd500 wrote:That one works great. Thanks!

Good deal. I don't have a 1509 box here to test anymore, so I appreciate the feedback!
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby texashildy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 am

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm a newbie.

There is content available on TV.com's website that might not be available on the Roku channel, right? I was looking last night for new Hawaii Five-0 episodes but there were only clips available... when I checked their website today, there were several full episodes listed.

Why the discrepancy? And THANKS for the great channel!
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
texashildy

Postby chris0071 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:40 pm

texashildy wrote:Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm a newbie.

There is content available on TV.com's website that might not be available on the Roku channel, right? I was looking last night for new Hawaii Five-0 episodes but there were only clips available... when I checked their website today, there were several full episodes listed.

Because the Roku channel is based off of the iPhone or iPod application. The internet site is a flash application which is not compatible with the Roku.
chris0071

Postby japzone » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm

TheEndless wrote:
dwd500 wrote:
TheEndless wrote:"Check for updates" under "Player Info" says none are available?

That's what it says. It said that I was up to date.

Interesting.. I guess they haven't rolled it out to everyone, yet. If you're still on 1509, give this version of the channel a try, and let me know if it works for you: https://owner.roku.com/add/R5SMB

I agree, I haven't seen any announcement from Roku so there's a good chance they aren't ready for full rollout yet. Although I was able to update with no issue.
japzone

Postby texashildy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:26 pm

chris0071 wrote:

Because the Roku channel is based off of the iPhone or iPod application. The internet site is a flash application which is not compatible with the Roku.

Makes sense. Thanks!
Cable Cut Feb. 1, 2011 & not looking back
Roku 3, Roku XDS, & OTA via outdoor antenna
Netflix since 2007, Amazon Prime since 2012
Yes, I have Hulu+ & I like it, thank you very much.
texashildy

Postby mauiman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 pm

chris0071 wrote:

Hmmmmmm, Play-On's version of TV.Com has a plethora of shows and they all stream just fine to my Roku. Makes me wonder how they can do it and Roku developers cannot. Which is why I asked (twice) if a search feature was possible on the Roku TV.Com channel. No reply either time.
mauiman

Postby SuetyStanes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 pm

The Playon server transcodes on the fly, the Roku does not have that ability built in.

But if you think it's possible, or easy, the SDK is public so you should feel free to produce your own TV.com channel that offers everything you want.
SuetyStanes

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:08 pm

mauiman wrote:
chris0071 wrote:

Hmmmmmm, Play-On's version of TV.Com has a plethora of shows and they all stream just fine to my Roku. Makes me wonder how they can do it and Roku developers cannot. Which is why I asked (twice) if a search feature was possible on the Roku TV.Com channel. No reply either time.

ok... The TV.com that TheEndless created uses as said before uses the iphone streams. Playon takes the website, and utilizing your computer's processor transcodes that data on the fly and sends it to the Roku. Perhaps its not a question of "can't" but just the fact that the gentleman (not Roku) that created the channel doesn't have the time to go in and add/ restructure features everytime someone asks. He tries to be very attentive to what users are interested in, but its not his job (i.e. he does it out of the goodness of his heart).
stratcat96

Postby TheEndless » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:14 pm

mauiman wrote:Hmmmmmm, Play-On's version of TV.Com has a plethora of shows and they all stream just fine to my Roku. Makes me wonder how they can do it and Roku developers cannot. Which is why I asked (twice) if a search feature was possible on the Roku TV.Com channel. No reply either time.

PlayOn streams directly from TV.com's website, and requires a server running on a computer on your network to convert those videos to a Roku compatible format.
The first post in this thread states that there are some additional features that I want to add to the channel. Search is one of them, but I'm currently maintaining over 15 different channels, and working on at least three others, all in my free time, so those updates will come when I get a chance to do them.
TheEndless

Postby mommom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm

If your going to use a pc anyway,just use the Kylo browser and hook the pc to the tv .It compliments Roku nicely.
mommom

Postby Wolf68k » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 pm

TheEndless wrote:
dwd500 wrote:That one works great. Thanks!

Good deal. I don't have a 1509 box here to test anymore, so I appreciate the feedback!

It's working for me on 1509. I don't know when 1527 came out but I never got it
Wolf68k

Postby mauiman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm

SuetyStanes wrote:The Playon server transcodes on the fly, the Roku does not have that ability built in.

But if you think it's possible, or easy, the SDK is public so you should feel free to produce your own TV.com channel that offers everything you want.

I don't "think" it's possible. I "Know" it's possible. Play-On does it and it works perfectly well on Roku. I never said, nor did I indicate it was "easy". Stop putting words in my mouth. I simply inquired, twice, if it was POSSIBLE to add a search to the existing channel. The Endless was kind enough to provide me an answer. And to avoid future thread craps, I am in no way demanding a search feature, nor am I in any way demanding The Endless work like a dog until he has what I would like to see the channel become. I merely inquired, very politely, if it was possible. I do not in any way appreciate your condescending answer. I'm not a video guy. I'm an audio guy. I could ask you about the advantages, if any, of nested multiple negative feedback loops over a global negative feedback loop, then provide you some condescending answer, which would relate to transient inter-modulation distortions, square wave reproduction, ringing and rise times, and tell you the AES papers are public so you should be able to not only find the answer yourself, but to design your own time and phase coherent audio system utilizing the information.
mauiman

Postby ApK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:03 am

mauiman wrote:I merely inquired, very politely, if it was possible. I do not in any way appreciate your condescending answer.

You call this polite:

"Hmmmmmm, Play-On's version of TV.Com has a plethora of shows and they all stream just fine to my Roku. Makes me wonder how they can do it and Roku developers cannot."

That reads to the rest of us like you accused TheEndless of being incompetent.
You don't appreciate the attitude you're getting?
Then learn the difference between being polite and being a jerk.

ApK
ApK

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion