Hulu for Roku

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Hulu for Roku

Postby jeffreyabr » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:10 pm

I just got my Roku XDS and I'm fiddling around with it, trying to make it even more awesome. I am trying to track down as many private channels as possible. Is there any way that we are able to access regular, free Hulu through our Roku boxes? I have Netflix, but I find that shows don't update with recent episodes until after a season is over. I'd love if there was a way to make this device like a DVR in that it is able to access episodes of shows which I have missed.

Anyone aware of anything like this? What do you guys do to watch your regular TV shows? I just found the TV.com channel, but as for shows on Fox, NBC, and ABC there don't seem to be any obvious solutions...

Also, as a bonus question, what is the deal with the MyP2P.eu and Justin.tv channels? I see them in forums every now and then, but I haven't found any concrete means of installing them. Are they real?
jeffreyabr

Re: Hulu for Roku

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm

hulu plus is the only approved portal for tv shows from hulu to be shown on a set top box. You can try Playon, but that requires it to be running on a computer, transcoding hulu on the fly, then streaming it to the roku. Playon is a dirty word on here, and not supported by Roku.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tobarefeet » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:56 pm

stratcat96 wrote:hulu plus is the only approved portal for tv shows from hulu to be shown on a set top box. You can try Playon, but that requires it to be running on a computer, transcoding hulu on the fly, then streaming it to the roku. Playon is a dirty word on here, and not supported by Roku.

And doesn't look very good after going through all that.
tobarefeet

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm

jeffreyabr wrote:Also, as a bonus question, what is the deal with the MyP2P.eu and Justin.tv channels? I see them in forums every now and then, but I haven't found any concrete means of installing them. Are they real?

No idea what the MyP2P channel is, but I can assure you that the Justin.tv channel is real. See the site in my signature for details.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 pm

jeffreyabr wrote: I am trying to track down as many private channels as possible... Also, as a bonus question, what is the deal with the MyP2P.eu and Justin.tv channels? I see them in forums every now and then, but I haven't found any concrete means of installing them. Are they real?

Go here for the most up to date listing of private channels and their codes.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/
Look in the "Database".
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby jeffreyabr » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 pm

TheEndless wrote:
jeffreyabr wrote:Also, as a bonus question, what is the deal with the MyP2P.eu and Justin.tv channels? I see them in forums every now and then, but I haven't found any concrete means of installing them. Are they real?

No idea what the MyP2P channel is, but I can assure you that the Justin.tv channel is real. See the site in my signature for details.

Nice, thanks Endless. I've been looking for what my resource will become when I head back to school and I want to watch out of network programming. An example would be how I used MyP2P on my laptop because NYU doesn't get the YES network, so I was out of luck for Yankee games all summer...

Do we have any solutions besides PlayOn for general live network programming?

And (this is more directed at Endless) if we have media and TV shows of a TV show, is there a channel that lets you upload your files to the channel or the server that hosts it? I love your TV.com channel, but I have enough episodes of shows in my personal collection to add more than one channel to your channel...
jeffreyabr

Postby douggw » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 pm

I too have been looking for just 'normal' Hulu, not the + version and can't find it. I tried the 15 day trial for PlayOn, and yes, it has tons of shows, but after it streams to my computer and then back to the Roku, the quality is terrible. I supposed maybe if I had a better computer it would be better, but that defeats the purpose of the Roku. That's what it's for. The PlayOn just added another layer to get what I wanted. Now their Play Later dvr option looks interesting, but again, the video quality isn't there.
douggw

Postby mikebdoss » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:52 pm

douggw wrote:I too have been looking for just 'normal' Hulu, not the + version and can't find it. I tried the 15 day trial for PlayOn, and yes, it has tons of shows, but after it streams to my computer and then back to the Roku, the quality is terrible. I supposed maybe if I had a better computer it would be better, but that defeats the purpose of the Roku. That's what it's for. The PlayOn just added another layer to get what I wanted. Now their Play Later dvr option looks interesting, but again, the video quality isn't there.

And you're not going to find it. The best way to get it is to attach your computer to your TV. It really solves a lot of problems.
mikebdoss

Postby RickRansom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Or, get a Google TV and check this link.
It works on Android devices, so it won't be available on Roku. But users did claim they were able to get the Revue to stream regular Hulu.
If you want regular Hulu though(the legal way), best way to go is follow mikebdoss' suggestion.
Everyone is a genius.
But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

-A Einstein
RickRansom

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Guys, please remember that the Channel-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named is subject Verboten on the forums, for the most part. You may discuss it, but those threads tend to get closed within 24 hours. I don't mind the channel being mentioned, but discussing its features or requesting any sort of help with it will get the thread locked even faster.

I'm content to let this one continue for now, but it should be noted that regular Hulu is available legally ONLY for computer streaming. Discussions regarding getting around that limitation will also be verboten on the forums.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mastermesh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Guys, please remember that the Channel-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named is subject Verboten on the forums, for the most part. You may discuss it, but those threads tend to get closed within 24 hours. I don't mind the channel being mentioned, but discussing its features or requesting any sort of help with it will get the thread locked even faster.

I'm content to let this one continue for now, but it should be noted that regular Hulu is available legally ONLY for computer streaming. Discussions regarding getting around that limitation will also be verboten on the forums.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Just out of curiosity, where is the origin of that rule? Is it in the eula for hulu, and if so, where's the actual wording? I don't regularly use hulu, and don't regularly read through eulas word for word... If it is a rule, I don't doubt it, but am just curious what the actual wording is and where that wording is located that states the rule you mentioned in the quote above.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
mastermesh

Postby scyber » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:17 am

mastermesh wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:Guys, please remember that the Channel-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named is subject Verboten on the forums, for the most part. You may discuss it, but those threads tend to get closed within 24 hours. I don't mind the channel being mentioned, but discussing its features or requesting any sort of help with it will get the thread locked even faster.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Just out of curiosity, where is the origin of that rule? Is it in the eula for hulu, and if so, where's the actual wording? I don't regularly use hulu, and don't regularly read through eulas word for word... If it is a rule, I don't doubt it, but am just curious what the actual wording is and where that wording is located that states the rule you mentioned in the quote above.

http://www.hulu.com/terms

After a quick glance, these two paragraphs seem relevant:
The Content. You may only access and view the Content personally and for a non-commercial purpose in compliance with these Terms. You may not either directly or through the use of any device, software, internet site, web-based service, or other means remove, alter, bypass, avoid, interfere with, or circumvent any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices marked on the Content or any digital rights management mechanism, device, or other content protection or access control measure associated with the Content including geo-filtering mechanisms. You may not either directly or through the use of any device, software, internet site, web-based service, or other means copy, download, stream capture, reproduce, duplicate, archive, distribute, upload, publish, modify, translate, broadcast, perform, display, sell, transmit or retransmit the Content unless expressly permitted by Hulu in writing. You may not incorporate the Content into, or stream or retransmit the Content via, any hardware or software application or make it available via frames or in-line links unless expressly permitted by Hulu in writing. Furthermore, you may not create, recreate, distribute or advertise an index of any significant portion of the Content unless authorized by Hulu. You may not build a business utilizing the Content, whether or not for profit. The Content covered by these restrictions includes without limitation any text, graphics, layout, interface, logos, photographs, audio and video materials, and stills. In addition, you are strictly prohibited from creating derivative works or materials that otherwise are derived from or based on in any way the Content, including montages, mash-ups and similar videos, wallpaper, desktop themes, greeting cards, and merchandise, unless it is expressly permitted by Hulu in writing. This prohibition applies even if you intend to give away the derivative materials free of charge.

The Video Player. You may not modify, enhance, remove, interfere with, or otherwise alter in any way any portion of the Video Player, its underlying technology, any digital rights management mechanism, device, or other content protection or access control measure incorporated into the Video Player. This restriction includes, without limitation, disabling, reverse engineering, modifying, interfering with or otherwise circumventing the Video Player in any manner that enables users to view the Content without: (i) displaying visibly both the Video Player and all surrounding elements (including the graphical user interface, any advertising, copyright notices, and trademarks) of the webpage where the Video Player is located; and (ii) having full access to all functionality of the Video Player, including, without limitation, all video quality and display functionality and all interactive, elective, or click-through advertising functionality.

The first says that you can't do what the transcoding servers are doing. The second says you can't display the content from the website without the entire website being displayed. So technically, it doesn't specifically prevent the usage on non-computer devices, but most of the implementations to do so are in violation of the terms above. Google TV & Boxee likely had implementations that didn't specifically violate the TOS (by using a full browser to display content), but Hulu decided to block them anyway.
scyber

Postby DBDukes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 am

jeffreyabr wrote:... Is there any way that we are able to access regular, free Hulu through our Roku boxes? ...

Legally, no.

You can legally watch Hulu standard on your TV, but not via Roku. It involves using a computer with your TV hooked up as the monitor. I've done it with Windows 7 and Mac OS X.

The easiest method is a Windows 7 computer running Windows Media Center (WMC). Add Hulu's Desktop application to the computer, and add a button to Windows Media Center for Hulu. There are different ways to do this: http://www.google.com/search?q=add+hulu+desktop+to+windows+media+center

WMC's Internet TV add-on also gets you a lot of CBS programming, which isn't available via Hulu/Hulu+. And, if you have an antenna, you can add a TV tuner to your PC and use WMC as a DVR. Add two tuners, and record two at a time, similar to TiVo.

Now, using a dedicated computer for this isn't cheap. And using an existing computer as a part-time HTPC is a PITA.

For me, the best bang for the buck is a Roku and the content that's available. No, it won't get you everything. But, then again, nothing will.
DBDukes
Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, Roku XD
DBDukes

Postby mikebdoss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 am

I just set up a fairly cheap new ($250) computer as a HTPC using Windows Media Center, and it's very, very nice no longer worrying about encoding my videos or watching material that's not on Roku.

Just like with a lot of things, you can hack your way to the content you want, but sometimes bringing in a companion product will save you a lot of trouble and time.
mikebdoss

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 am

mikebdoss wrote:I just set up a fairly cheap new ($250) computer as a HTPC using Windows Media Center, and it's very, very nice no longer worrying about encoding my videos or watching material that's not on Roku.

Just like with a lot of things, you can hack your way to the content you want, but sometimes bringing in a companion product will save you a lot of trouble and time.

Generally that is the best option. Computers suitable for this type of application are quite cheap now. I have one of these.

If your TV has a PC input then that computer is all you need combined with something like this and you are all set up.

If your TV does not have a PC input then you either would need a card or USB adapter that supports whatever input you want to use on your TV.

Since displaying streaming video is not very processor intensive you do not need much power and you can add a huge USB drive and use the same computer to serve all your video library.

BTW: I use a freeware product called TightVNC to manage my connected computers without having to have a bunch of keyboards and mice cluttering everything up.

It's not the perfect solution but it works with low overhead and expense.
Gilgamesh

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion