Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:51 am

Okay, now we're getting into grey areas, so please keep comments simple and on topic, otherwise I will exercise the lock thread option, which I really hate to do.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby robertm » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 am

RokuShawnS wrote:Added: And just FYI: I was an end user (before I was an employee) that didn't have to input the credit card. I admit I'd be a bit *miffed* at having to do it now, but I'd do it without hesitation. Most online services require a credit card to register, even if you get a month free. I've been a part of 3 or 4 already that required it, allowed me to download for free anything I wanted within 30 days (or sometimes just a week), but they still required that credit card, even if I cancelled. Most cases, I didn't.

But I'm not arguing that perhaps it could be better advertised as being necessary. As such, I've included it in my weekly reports on a few occasions, so you ARE being heard at some point.

C. Shawn Smith

I'd add to your weekly reports that it makes it less appealing to give them as gifts. My sister gave me the stink eye when I gave her one and at the time the requirement was new and I was unaware of it. It wasn't the end of the world and she loves it now but it was an uncomfortable moment.
robertm

Postby knuckle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 am

ohh no not the stink eye!!! :D
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all hooked wireless via Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware

favorite channel-- Justin TV
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 pm

I got a similar stink eye from my nephew. I chose the Roku for him being that he isn't tech savy. He failed the credit card set up first because his billing address is a PO box but he put his street address thinking the Roku was asking where the video would go to. Don't laugh, his mind is great at mechanical things and he thinks differently from us computer guys. Then it failed because he mistyped the card number. Then it failed because the bank he uses blocks your card after two failed attempts.

I get the requirement. I'm one of the first to suggest the reason for it if you look back a few pages. I just think a small "skip" option should be there as a compromise.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby gshumway » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:53 am

FYI, even this might only be a pending charge and they never actually put it in as completed purchase, when you create an account and give a credit card, Roku did attempt twice to charge my card $1.

That is really the wrong thing to do. I only purchased this unit because I wanted it for Netflix, Amazon and local video server streaming, nothing else. Requiring a credit card or paypal account and then even attempting to charge is enough reason for me to pack up this box and return it.
gshumway

Postby dwanthny » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 am

gshumway wrote:FYI, even this might only be a pending charge and they never actually put it in as completed purchase, when you create an account and give a credit card, Roku did attempt twice to charge my card $1.

That is really the wrong thing to do.

If the charge didn't go through then they didn't "attempt twice to charge" your card. This is common practice with any initial card placed to possibly purchase something to verify everything is working correctly.

gshumway wrote:I only purchased this unit because I wanted it for Netflix, Amazon and local video server streaming, nothing else. Requiring a credit card or paypal account and then even attempting to charge is enough reason for me to pack up this box and return it.

Again they were never "attempting to charge." I agree with what others have said, that there should be a skip option and they just block any attempts to purchase paid channels until a payment source is supplied. That said, after everything is up and running I believe you can go into your account and remove the payment method and not be concerned again.
:idea: 20GB of Free CLOUD STORAGE: For a limited time you can use this link https://copy.com?r=lB3oTH to sign up for a free 15GB Copy.com account and we both get an extra 5GB of free space.
dwanthny

Postby gonzotek » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Dave Zatz has a new post up with an interesting take on the subject:
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-03/gif ... e-cleaner/

I've convinced a few people to get a Roku, but haven't directly gifted one to anyone primarily because of the credit dependency during the account creation process(paypal/call-in-to-opt-out notwithstanding: I'd expect to get a call from the gift recipient and have to walk them through either process, which I don't want to do). If I could give them a gift card to use (ala itunes) to facilitate both creating the account and purchasing a first few channels, I'd definitely go for it. And with gift cards (or an equivalent 'points' system with a gifting option) Roku could be collecting money upfront, instead of waiting for people to make a purchase, who otherwise might never consider breaking out of Netflix/Amazon/Hulu.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby adamc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I found this thread kind of by accident. We bought our Rokus more than a year ago, but if I'd faced a credit-card requirement when I'd first gotten one, it's at least 50/50 that it would have gone back. I hate crap like that. Having it be an option is fine, but if I had to call customer service to avoid it, I'd be furious.

Roku's been the best (IMO) of a rather disappointing streaming-player market, so far, but they aren't so good that annoying the customer is a good strategy. The only services I've used enough to matter are Netflix and Amazon VOD, and they're not hard to get on other devices.
adamc

Postby FX4 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:18 pm

I tend to agree with others. If this was a new device and I was not familiar with Roku I would probably put it back in the box and think well so much for that. I would also note that I have not purchased one pay service in the almost two years I have owned a Roku. Honestly nothing seemed remotely compelling enough to plop down cash. I pay for Hulu, Netflix, and the occasional show from Amazon. That's about it.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby haviruzz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 am

This slightly OT but how do you update a card or change? Couldn't locate that on the ROKU site. If it's there it's well hidden.
ROKU2XS wired
haviruzz

Postby mikebdoss » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 am

haviruzz wrote:This slightly OT but how do you update a card or change? Couldn't locate that on the ROKU site. If it's there it's well hidden.

Log into your account (https://owner.roku.com/), and click "update" next to your payment information.
mikebdoss

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am

haviruzz wrote:This slightly OT but how do you update a card or change? Couldn't locate that on the ROKU site. If it's there it's well hidden.

the top row has three grey blocks: "account info," channel store PIN" and "payment method" and each block has a button for "update" in its upper right corner.
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl

Postby raym » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Log another person that finds requiring CC unacceptable. Sent msg to support to create account without. Will update with how that works out.

I don't understand how anyone thinks this is ok. The arguments are it's safe (not giving CC is safer - can't really argue that) and other services do it, too (but they give you something for it - a month of something for free, or something else - and it's optional - don't use their service if you don't want - now I need to return my Roku because I don't accept terms that were not told me in advance?).

I'd like someone to explain why I should give my CC. Why it's OK for Roku to require it without having made that clear before my purchase. And while you're at it, please provide me your credit card details so I can have them on file, so if/when you'd like to purchase something from me, it will be more convenient.
raym

Postby raym » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm

One other thing I'd like to add - while I'm disappointed with the CC policy, I'm really impressed with this thread. The conversation has been mostly, but not entirely civil, and while I don't agree with the arguments made by RokuShawnS, I'm impressed that he's here making his case, and really impressed this thread hasn't been locked. Kudos.
raym

Postby RokuShawnS » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

raym wrote:One other thing I'd like to add - while I'm disappointed with the CC policy, I'm really impressed with this thread. The conversation has been mostly, but not entirely civil, and while I don't agree with the arguments made by RokuShawnS, I'm impressed that he's here making his case, and really impressed this thread hasn't been locked. Kudos.

:)

Feedback is important to Roku, even if it's negative. Of all the communities I've ever managed, even as a hobby, this one, and Roku's philosophy is probably the best I've encountered thus far. On a personal level, I don't mind criticism, and do my best to convey this in my weekly reports so that the Roku Gods hear the voice of the community. Probably one of the reasons my boss hired me, because he knew I'd have a pulse on the community, and that I wouldn't sugar-coat things for TPTB. He's probably irritated at some of the things I've sent in :)

Unfortunately, this CC requirement, as stated previously, was an oft-repeated suggestion by both channel developers and the community at large, which was why it was implemented. The steps involved in bypassing the restriction do work, and takes place on a daily basis by those who are uncomfortable with it. Does it require an extra step by the end user? Yes, and for that we apologize. But the old axiom, You can't please everyone still holds true. We will help you when it's requested, and I personally will make certain you're contacted in a timely manner, so long as you have the case number with CS in-hand so I can legally elevate it (I'm bound by certain restrictions, to prevent overwhelming the higher levels at CS).

And again, on a personal level, this is the reality of living in a 24/7 connected world. Within 24 hours, a hacker can get your last 10 CC purchases utilizing your email alone (I know this for a fact, as I've done it for a friend of mine in the military, who didn't believe it. Her CO was VERY interested in the steps I did, since she had a TS clearance). But as far as Roku is concerned, we haven't had, to date, any hacked instances in which someone's information was in jeopardy, nor have we denied anyone the right to create an account without a CC.

When in doubt, open a CS ticket. Then send me that case number. I will elevate it to the very guys and gals that oversee CS, to insure that your demands are met. Most likely, you won't even have to contact me. It'll be done on the spot. If by chance it isn't, I have your back ;) My job is to help you guys and gals, and insure the best Roku experience you can obtain!

Happy Roku'ing!
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion