[Private Channel] Justin.tv (JUSTINTV) - Updated 12/6/2012

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: [Private Channel] Justin.tv (JUSTINTV) - Updated

Postby TheEndless » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 pm

cmosley2006 wrote:Hi, I just wanted to see about a problem that i came across with the justin tv app for my Roku LT. Ok i am a wrestling fan and i can't find the wrestling videos on my roku when i go to search for it on the justin tv app. I have went on a pc and found it with a search but i can't seem to search and find anything on this Justin tv app. Anybody else having problems finding anything using the search option? I search and i get no results at all either. I tried to search without using spaces and still nothing comes up. This technique works with youtube on raterix so i'm not sure why it isn't working. Is there a way to fix this possibly? if not it's ok haha i just thought i would try to bring this up and see

Looks like search is down today. It's not working on the iPhone app, either.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:45 pm

TheEndless, I frequently can repeatedly recreate almost on demand (but not always) the problem of going to a section (e.g., Entertainment > Movies) with no videos visible, but only the Refresh icon, if I go to Favorites first. (I have a lot of Favorites — 28.) When this happens, exiting & re-entering Justin.tv doesn't help, and I have to reboot the Roku.

- -
Edit: Correction — When it happens, sometimes exiting & re-entering the Justin.tv channel does bring back the videos list. And sometimes it happens all by itself — without going to Favorites first, usually after a lot of activity in other channels. And sometimes when it happens, the videos list is there in Entertainment > All, but missing in specific categories.
Last edited by Schmye Bubbula on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
– –
first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X), composite connection to old 4:3 CRT SDTV
Schmye Bubbula

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:38 am

(Sorry to double-post, but it's a separate subject, so I thought it needs a separate post.)

1) TheEndless, in the past you have noted the "OK/Retry" error that often immediately follows the "Attempting to initialize stream" dialog. (I recognize that it's not a problem with the Justin.tv channel, but only flakyness with handshaking on the Justin.tv server end.) It doesn't happen every time, but does more often than not. What would you think about automatically doing one retry the first time only it happens following an initialization? Usually one time is enough, and it would be a great improvement in user-friendliness of operation.

2) Also, smooth usability would be improved if, after clicking the new "Cancel" button in the "Attempting to initialize stream" dialog (thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!), we got taken back to the video's main screen, instead of having to click through an intermediary dialog we'd never use, anyway. (Because — have you noticed? — the retry in that intermediary screen seems "weaker" than starting play from the main screen... the retry often fails when an explicit play will work.)

3) Would be nice to be able to click the "Play/Pause" button on the Roku remote to directly begin playing a video from the browse list, instead of having to first click the "OK" button to go into that video's main screen before being able to begin playing. This would make channel surfing to see what's on much easier & faster. (It's especially important because the videos' content usually aren't labeled, and one must actually start the video to see what it is.)
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby TheEndless » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:(Sorry to double-post, but it's a separate subject, so I thought it needs a separate post.)

1) TheEndless, in the past you have noted the "OK/Retry" error that often immediately follows the "Attempting to initialize stream" dialog. (I recognize that it's not a problem with the Justin.tv channel, but only flakyness with handshaking on the Justin.tv server end.) It doesn't happen every time, but does more often than not. What would you think about automatically doing one retry the first time only it happens following an initialization? Usually one time is enough, and it would be a great improvement in user-friendliness of operation.

I am retrying up to 10 times during that "attempting to initialize" dialog, so I'm not sure where the difference is between the explicit retry and the automatic retry other than the inherent delay introduced by you having to select the button.

Schmye Bubbula wrote:2) Also, smooth usability would be improved if, after clicking the new "Cancel" button in the "Attempting to initialize stream" dialog (thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!), we got taken back to the video's main screen, instead of having to click through an intermediary dialog we'd never use, anyway. (Because — have you noticed? — the retry in that intermediary screen seems "weaker" than starting play from the main screen... the retry often fails when an explicit play will work.)

It's literally the same code being executed, so as above, I have no idea what the difference could be there. Bizarre...

Schmye Bubbula wrote:3) Would be nice to be able to click the "Play/Pause" button on the Roku remote to directly begin playing a video from the browse list, instead of having to first click the "OK" button to go into that video's main screen before being able to begin playing. This would make channel surfing to see what's on much easier & faster. (It's especially important because the videos' content usually aren't labeled, and one must actually start the video to see what it is.)

That sounds do-able...
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby TheEndless » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:26 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Schmye Bubbula wrote:3) Would be nice to be able to click the "Play/Pause" button on the Roku remote to directly begin playing a video from the browse list, instead of having to first click the "OK" button to go into that video's main screen before being able to begin playing. This would make channel surfing to see what's on much easier & faster. (It's especially important because the videos' content usually aren't labeled, and one must actually start the video to see what it is.)

That sounds do-able...

Enter/exit the channel store and give the Play/Pause button a try.. ;)
Memory management should be a little better in this version as well.
TheEndless

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm

TheEndless wrote:Enter/exit the channel store and give the Play/Pause button a try.. ;)
Memory management should be a little better in this version as well.

Works like a charm! A big thanks and tip o' the hat, TheEndless!
You've provided a channel surfer's wet dream:
Seinfeld, Season 2, Episode 10, "The Baby Shower" (1991) wrote:Men seem to flip around the television more than women. Men get that remote control in their hands, they don’t even know what the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> they’re not watching. You know we just keep going, “Rerun, that’s stupid, he’s stupid, go, go, go.” “What are you watching?” “I don’t care, I gotta keep going.” “Who was that?” “I don’t know what it was, doesn’t matter, it’s not your fault. I gotta keep going.” “I think that’s a documentary on your father.” “Don’t care, what else is on?”

Women don’t do this. Women will stop and go, “Well let me see what the show is, before I change the channel. Maybe we can nurture it, work with it, help it grow into something.” Men don’t do that.
Because women nest and men hunt. That’s why we watch TV differently.
— Jerry Seinfeld

In the fullness of time, I may be able to notice whether your tweeks to memory management help, and I will report back here my findings. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will help the problem I reported a few posts back here.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 pm

TheEndless wrote:I am retrying up to 10 times during that "attempting to initialize" dialog, so I'm not sure where the difference is between the explicit retry and the automatic retry other than the inherent delay introduced by you having to select the button.

Oh, I didn't know that you were doing all those retries during (or do you mean after?) the initialize. (But are you talking about initializing retries, or video loading retries?) In any event, like I said, the frequent times one does get the error during video loading after the initialize, one manual retry usually is successful. Did you understand me to be requesting one-only video loading retry after a video loading failure following the initialize that gives rise to the video loading error dialog? ... Here is where I saw you talk about this issue:
TheEndless here (last sentence of post) wrote:...Unfortunately, initialization can take up to a minute, and sometimes (most times?) still fails initially, so a retry is necessary.

- -
TheEndless wrote:
Schmye Bubbula wrote:2) ...the retry in that intermediary screen seems "weaker" than starting play from the main screen... the retry often fails when an explicit play will work.)

It's literally the same code being executed, so as above, I have no idea what the difference could be there. Bizarre...

It is? OK, then I think I might know what's going on: You know how when you're surfing the web, and you can click a link with very sluggish response, but if you just click it again, it'll promptly load? I think it's a DNS hiccup thing. So, similarly, what I thought I was experiencing was actually the Retry in the error dialog being unresponsive & failing, but going back to the video's main screen and clicking what you say is exactly the same retry (Play) there is like the second click that responds better and thus succeeds. (So my observation reflected a coincidence.) (You are going through DNS, right?) So there's nothing to be done.

Edit: I just now had a video crap-out, and I hit the error dialog's "Retry" ten times in a row and it just kept failing and presenting the error dialog again & again, but when I backed-out to the video's main screen and hit "Play," it promptly resumed the very first time. This is what I was talking about, and why I was surprised to hear you say that they both are the same thing.
Last edited by Schmye Bubbula on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 pm

You know, the Justin.tv channel is getting so user-friendly & usability-functional, that I'm perilously approaching being able to cancel Netflix! (But I won't.)

I'm currently spending about just as much time watching Justin.tv as Netflix. The secret to its success is that I'm still on a CRT standard definition TV, which is much more forgiving of Justin.tv's one-dot streams than an HDTV. (I think it has to do with slight blurring or electron beam overshoot or overlap.) It also let me cut-back my Netflix account's quality setting to three dots, and I'm seriously considering saving even more bandwidth setting it to two dots. I really can't see much difference! I had a 20" Vizio HDTV last summer, but sold it because of other unrelated problems, and I don't miss it one bit!
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby knuckle » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 am

I totally agree,Justin is great and Endless keeps making it better....I keep netflix for the kids but I could easily give it up as long as Justin is on.
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV
all running wireless on a actiontec C2000A
knuckle

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 am

Is there a third-party website somewhere devoted to Justin.tv that serves as a meeting place for the contributors & users of the videos? I can't find a user's forum on the main Justin.tv website — there is a help forum there, but no informal chats discussing the individual channels. The reason I ask is that sometimes I see taglines with some Justin.tv channels on my Roku that suggest that at least some of the video contributors are offering time schedules somewhere for their movies, series, etc.
– –
Schmye Bubbula

Postby Antibody » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:27 pm

First of all: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for creating this app. I use it almost every morning when I sit on the couch and feed my daughter early in the AM.

I was wondering if you could provide feedback about an issue I am experiencing. First of all, I have a ROKU (original 1st gen I guess). I've been using it since the very beginning and have had your Justin.tv channel now for quite some time. Unfortunately, I use it to watch Starcraft 2 streams most of the time and only on your channel does the resolution/aspect ratio not match the TV. I have the Roku connected via HDMI to a 42" Panasonic Plasma TV. Netflix/Amazon/HBO GO etc all fit well on the TV but on Justin.tv Private App, the image is cropped meaning that in SC2 I can't see the important information in the top left/right of the screen. Any way to address this?

I can't change the Picture Size in my TV when using the Roku and I would also prefer not to have to change it just for this app if that is the recommended fix.

Regards,
Patrick
Antibody

Postby TigerClaw » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Question, Any chance on creating a Twitch.TV App for Roku? Twitch.TV is is the gaming portal site for Justin.tv so all the video game live streams can be found in it.
Roku 2 XS
TigerClaw

Postby rsim525 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Hello. First off, thanks so much for this channel. It is great.

I am having a small problem, and it seems like it has been addressed for various users in the past as well. I have the Roku LT, the purple one. I like to watch Twitch.tv streams, but often I will get a prompt saying it cannot load, asking if I want to reload. I try reloading a few times, but is always hit and miss. When I do get in, sometimes the steam stutters.

Any ideas on what I could do to fix this? Thanks!
rsim525

Postby TheEndless » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I've published an update to the Justin.tv channel that should significantly improve the performance and reliability, and hopefully do away with some of the quirkiness people have reported as of late. This was a complete re-write from the ground up, so there are bound to be a few issues still left to squash. If you run into any streams that crash the channel or any other anomalies, please let me know.

I feel it's also important to remind everyone that this is an unofficial channel. Justin.tv had no involvement in the development of the channel, nor do they offer any support for it. They are aware of it, and have allowed it to stay on the Roku, but if you experience any issues, please report them to me and not Justin.tv.

Enjoy!
TheEndless

Postby TigerClaw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:35 pm

TheEndless wrote:I've published an update to the Justin.tv channel that should significantly improve the performance and reliability, and hopefully do away with some of the quirkiness people have reported as of late. This was a complete re-write from the ground up, so there are bound to be a few issues still left to squash. If you run into any streams that crash the channel or any other anomalies, please let me know.

I feel it's also important to remind everyone that this is an unofficial channel. Justin.tv had no involvement in the development of the channel, nor do they offer any support for it. They are aware of it, and have allowed it to stay on the Roku, but if you experience any issues, please report them to me and not Justin.tv.

Enjoy!

It seems like going into Favorites causes the justin.tv channel to crash.
Roku 2 XS
TigerClaw

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion