Firmware update v2.9 build 1553

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Firmware update v2.9 build 1553

Postby jp1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 pm

It isn't a knock against the Roku...but there is plenty of room for improvement. Anyone that doesn't see that is wearing rose colored glasses. The hardware will become stale pretty quickly if peoples suggestions for improvement aren't considered. I don't expect miracles but a major release with some useful new features would be nice. I like bug fixes as much as the next guy but there are other companies that are ahead of the curve on actual improvements to usability when compared with Roku.

The usb channel could be considered an improvement I guess. It is so limited though that it is barely useful at all. Having purchased three Rokus I would think I am entitled to an opinion about that. Especially when my other investments seem to be seeing more return in value.

I realize that Roku is a smaller company than those I am comparing it with but with a customer base of over a million and still being a top seller on Amazon it would seem that now would be a great time to expand the development a bit and stay ahead of the curve. The near silence about the many suggestions for improved functionality doesn't do much to comfort anyone especially when the updates are hardly noticeable. Click-able ads? Well let me get right on ordering my next box because that is what I have really been dreaming of.

All I am suggesting is some improved communication about where they intend to go with the product. If it is a dead end then I would like to know that know and not a year or two down the line. It is already beginning to lose the edge it had when I first purchased it because development is faster for the competition.

Thankfully they don't need to add any sarcasm because the forums are flush with that.
jp1

Postby ryanxwalton » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:34 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
jp1 wrote:I guess I'm spoiled from other devices but it seems slow going getting any new or improved features on the Roku. It would be cool if we could get a list of planned features so we know if there is something to look forward to in the future.

they plan to add a coffeemaker, but if you ask them about it they'll deny it.

mmmmmmm....coffee..."drools"
If it doesn't work, keep beating it with the hammer till it does.
ryanxwalton

Postby danat275 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:35 pm

i agree!! i have a friend that has boxee and his daughter has apple tv and both are pumping out new channels left and right ..boxee has channels i suggested such as dailymotion vivo and a south park channel,those channels would play on roku perfectly because they use the same format that roku plays and have billions of videos to watch ..apple tv is getting all sorts of fun little channels

on the other hand roku is giving us channels from around the world in languages we cant understand and it being a usa only product i dont see the point in having those channels if we cant understand the dialog..and roku desperately needs to add more codecs to play more radio and video formats.like tunein radio app most the radio stations on the radiotime website that tunein gets it's radio stations from does not show up on roku's tunin list because roku doesnt play the format of those stations..

roku has so much promise and can do so much and i for one want to see roku use all it's power and kick boxee and apple tv to the curb!!
danat275

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 pm

The near silence about the many suggestions for improved functionality doesn't do much to comfort anyone especially when the updates are hardly noticeable.

Every week, I send out a weekly report on the top issues, top threads and problems, as well as feature suggestions. I know they are getting read, and into the right hands. There are a lot of good suggestions that have been made, and the engineers always take them into consideration.

Sometime next week, we will be posting the build notes for this release. Please be patient :)

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:53 pm

and I'm pretty sure neither Boxee or Apple TV are getting a coffeemaker anytime soon ;)
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby vmps » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:54 pm

danat275 wrote:on the other hand roku is giving us channels from around the world in languages we cant understand and it being a usa only product i dont see the point in having those channels if we cant understand the dialog.

Definitely--people who want to follow news or entertainment from other parts of the world should just go back where they came from, they obviously don't belong here. :roll:

I actually see some of those channels as a real draw for the roku. (Obviously not for you, but a broad customer base is hardly a bad thing for a business.)
vmps

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Please refrain from making such broad statements, vmps. There are lots of Roku users who may not be English-speaking natives.

Just a mild warning.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:02 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:Please refrain from making such broad statements, vmps. There are lots of Roku users who may not be English-speaking natives.

Just a mild warning.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith

Shawn I think he was being sarcastic in regards to the statement complaining about the foreign language channels
stratcat96

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:05 pm

If so, then my apologies (part of the reason I said only "mild warning," as I wasn't 100% certain :))

Thanks for that though :)
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stoenjes » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:16 pm

This update seems to affect running the PlayOn (*Edited*) private channel. Now video is ~ 10 seconds behind audio. My private channel version is 1.0.00031
My PlayOn version is 3.2.7.1661.
Anyone updated and having no problems?

Stan
stoenjes

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:18 pm

stoenjes wrote:This update seems to affect running the PlayOn (*edited*) private channel. Now video is ~ 10 seconds behind audio. My private channel version is 1.0.00031

Stan

your best bet is to post on the Playon forum about that, it's their product and Roku doesn't support, endorse, or really care for Playon ;) Oh and posting the channel code can get you in trouble... :oops:
Last edited by stratcat96 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stratcat96

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:19 pm

PlayOn is not a supported channel on Roku. You will need to contact PlayOn for any issues or questions you have.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby TheEndless » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:29 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
stoenjes wrote:This update seems to affect running the PlayOn (XXXXX) private channel. Now video is ~ 10 seconds behind audio. My private channel version is 1.0.00031
Stan

your best bet is to post on the Playon forum about that, it's their product and Roku doesn't support, endorse, or really care for Playon ;) Oh and posting the channel code can get you in trouble... :oops:

So could quoting it ;)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:36 pm

TheEndless wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:
stoenjes wrote:This update seems to affect running the PlayOn (XXXXX) private channel. Now video is ~ 10 seconds behind audio. My private channel version is 1.0.00031
Stan

So could quoting it ;)

very crafty sir..lol
stratcat96

Postby jp1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:49 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:Please refrain from making such broad statements, vmps. There are lots of Roku users who may not be English-speaking natives.

Just a mild warning.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith

Shawn I think he was being sarcastic in regards to the statement complaining about the foreign language channels

Another reason why sarcasm might not be the best way to drive a point home.
jp1

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion