Roku 2 XS Dual-Band Wireless?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Roku 2 XS Dual-Band Wireless?

Postby scyber » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 am

Has anyone actually confirmed yet that it is single band? I skimmed through this thread and the only post was nushmut saying he "thinks" it is single band. I realize it isn't specifically listed on the spec sheet, but in recent experience not all dual band devices explicitly list "dual band" in their specs anymore. We should probably hold off on all of this debate till someone from Roku or a Roku 2 owner confirms it.
scyber

Postby nushmut » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 am

If anyone can find out the capabilities of the WiFi hardware, that might give us a firmer understanding. My Google-fu is failing me on this one. The chip is a BCM 4336 according to the spec sheet that got posted recently, identical across all 3 models.

Also, Dual-Band is no longer mentioned as a feature in the Roku Shop, nor in the spec list on the main site. All models share the feature point "Built-in Wireless (Wi-Fi b/g/n)".
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby TheEndless » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:07 am

nushmut wrote:If anyone can find out the capabilities of the WiFi hardware, that might give us a firmer understanding. My Google-fu is failing me on this one. The chip is a BCM 4336 according to the spec sheet that got posted recently, identical across all 3 models.

Also, Dual-Band is no longer mentioned as a feature in the Roku Shop, nor in the spec list on the main site. All models share the feature point "Built-in Wireless (Wi-Fi b/g/n)".

Not definitive by any means, but the DD-WRT source code only has a 2.4 GHz entry for the BCM4336. Most dual-band chipsets have separate entries for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby scyber » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 pm

FYI, I just double checked the FCC testing docs and there doesn't appear to be anything about the 5Ghz range in them. So I think perhaps it is correct to assume it is single band.

Sorry, didn't mean to disrupt the debate, I was just surprised to see 3+ pages of posts and no confirmation yet.
scyber

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm

scyber wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to disrupt the debate, I was just surprised to see 3+ pages of posts and no confirmation yet.

I'll be posting something later this evening.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby RokuShawnS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:04 pm

Okay guys, here's the skinny on the lack of dual-band:

I know some of you will be disappointed by this (especially the techies amongst us), but internal testing (performance logs, etc) showed no significant performance improvement with the dual band models, so the decision was made to simplify it for the Roku 2.

The new hardware is physically not capable of supporting dual band on the Roku 2.

This information will hopefully be added to our FAQ for the Roku 2 soon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for some of you :(

[Dons his flame-retardant suit]

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby nushmut » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks for clarifying Shawn. It's the not knowing that bugged me more than the possible lack of dual-band.

Better to get the best possible 2.4GHz performance since this may be something of a breakout release. Perhaps the next versions can reintroduce dual-band, at least in the top model. :D

Paid services:
nushmut

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 pm

nushmut wrote:Thanks for clarifying Shawn. It's the not knowing that bugged me more than the possible lack of dual-band.

Better to get the best possible 2.4GHz performance since this may be something of a breakout release. Perhaps the next versions can reintroduce dual-band, at least in the top model. :D

Personally, and I am just talking out of my behind here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 5ghz N become the Laserdisc of the WiFi world. It's just not working as people thought it would. Actually some people said it wouldn't be great all along due to the longer sine wave being more susceptible to physical interference, but I digress. I don't expect it to go away, but like LD it may become a costly niche for those who want or need it.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby whitediesel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Well, that pretty much tells me what I need to do, or dont want to do I guess. I bought 2 XDS's, received them, and bought a dual band router, on Friday of last week! I was a little PO'ed when I logged into my account and saw a roku2 out...that caught me a little off guard (hence the forum registration now)

Anyhow, I'm completely with the OP, I set up one XDS on the netgears awesome (but almost as much as two Roku XDS's) dualband 5ghz network. Streaming HD is a breeze for it. My xbox wouldn't show more than a single bar on 2.4ghz, so i am good to go now.

I called and requested I send these two roku XDs's back to get the new ones, being under the 30 money back garantee. Now I know I wont be doing that. Good, saves me all the set up time with codes and channels and wireless log ones ..etc.

So here's a dumb question: Does the motion controller work with the older boxes? Can I just buy the new remote?
I dont think it would work, but I guess it's better to know for sure.

BTW Roku Roxxxxor$$!! lol
Roku XDS (X2)
WNDR3700 Router
whitediesel

Postby nushmut » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 pm

whitediesel wrote:So here's a dumb question: Does the motion controller work with the older boxes? Can I just buy the new remote?

Pretty sure the new remote is R2-only.

Paid services:
nushmut

Postby whitediesel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 pm

nushmut wrote:Pretty sure the new remote is R2-only.

I figured as much, I mean the PS3, Wii consoles had to have a new and separate IR/RF(?) receiver to pick up motion. I doubt the "old" boxes were designed for future use..but you never know unless it's confirmed!
Roku XDS (X2)
WNDR3700 Router
whitediesel

Postby TheEndless » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:32 am

whitediesel wrote:
nushmut wrote:Pretty sure the new remote is R2-only.

I figured as much, I mean the PS3, Wii consoles had to have a new and separate IR/RF(?) receiver to pick up motion. I doubt the "old" boxes were designed for future use..but you never know unless it's confirmed!

The new remote/controller uses bluetooth, which the old boxes don't have, so it will only work with the new boxes. The new boxes do, however, work with the old remotes, if that matters at all.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Munst » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Personally, and I am just talking out of my behind here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 5ghz N become the Laserdisc of the WiFi world.

You may be right, which is unfortunate because there are many, many people who could benefit from 5ghz that don't know it. I am constantly hearing my neighbors complain about how their wifi sucks, how there's too many people stepping on each other. When I tell them about A band and how it solved my issues, I can see their eyes glaze over.

Part of the problem is that much of the marketing for Dual band routers falsely claims it will increase your range. This is bull...it will help with interference...but it will do anything but increase range. Some also hype how the 2 channels can be combined to increase throughput. This is absurd...any 1 channel has more than enough bandwidth for anybody.

The years of industry lies regarding cordless phones has not helped either. First the industry said 900Mhz was the bomb. Next they said 2.4ghz rocks even more and will increase your range and make calls sound better. Then they said 5.8Gghz is really the holy grail. It was all crap. All you got from 5.8 Ghz was really bad range and battery life that would not get thru the day. Along comes Dect 6.0 which is really, really, really the best. :? What is Dect 6.0?....it is 1.9GHz. All these games soured people (rightfully so) on claims of more GHz being better. I wish I still had my old 900Mhz phone...it would work down the block and the battery lasted for days.

Anyways...I digressed. Bottom line on 5Ghz wifi....the range is less but it can be a lifesaver for those of us in congested neighborhoods. It's too bad there is no longer an option for this in any of the new models. I guess if I ever decide to upgrade, I'll have to setup an A band bridge.
Munst

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 am

I do like the DECT phones because they seem to work better and have their own unique frequency. I too miss the 900 phones. I think they died because if they hadn't their stupid crazy range would have caused the problems we have with WiFi now and that is people's phones stepping on each other. Most had limited hardware to prevent this and it could have become a nightmare.

The sad thing is that they market DECT with the 6.0 so people will compare it directly to the 5.4 GHZ phones and see it as better. If they would just educate people and use actual terms such as range and battery life then they wouldn't need to. I'm going to market a phone as XEDT 9.9 ;)
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby Munst » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:27 am

mkiker2089 wrote:I'm going to market a phone as XEDT 9.9 ;)

Put in an old 40mhz chipset from the 80s and I'll buy it. :)
Munst

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion