Roku loading and retrieving slow

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku loading and retrieving slow

Postby rkersen » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:31 pm

I am experiencing some slow loading speed on my Roku. I have had a few problems in the past when the loading speed is slow for a day before, but my speed has been down for over a week. Netflix takes forever to load a single episode of Spongebob (my son's favorite) or anything else and it stops every minute or so to load. Also, I just added HBO Go and when I open the channel it has a "Please wait" screen, then another. When the channel finally loads up it takes about 5 minutes for all of the pictures to load and I have the same issue with watching anything as I do on Netflix, forever to load and stopping to load every minute or even less time between. I have restarted the my roku, router, and modem. I have checked my wireless connection and it is at excellent on the Roku. What is the problem?
rkersen

Re: Roku loading and retrieving slow

Postby rkersen » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:33 pm

actually it takes about 15min to load all of the preview pics on HBO Go.
rkersen

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 am

We need more information:

1. ISP
2. Bandwidth available (up and down streams) {speedtest.com}
3. Roku model
4. Router/Modem make/model
5. How you're connected to your network.
6. Anything else that may be of help to us.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby rkersen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:43 am

1. ISP -- Suddenlink Communications
2. Bandwidth up 1.67 down .25
3. Roku XD
4. Router: Belkin G Model# F5D7234-4 v4 Modem: Motorola model#U10C018.80 (provided by service provider
5. How you're connected to your network. -- Not really sure how to answer that...My Roku is connected by wi-fi if that is what you mean.
6. Anything else that may be of help to us.-- This is a new problem. I've not made any changes to my internet service. It has been operating just fine with the same internet speed for almost a year now.

Can having too many channels added to Roku slow it down?
rkersen

Postby RokuShawnS » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:18 am

Try going into the Netflix website and downgrading your streaming a bit. The 1.67 down concerns me a bit (especially if you're looking for HD) although it's still within the realm of ability. You may also want to try changing your router's channel to a different one (you may be experiencing interference, which can impact your streaming), or changing to OpenDNS or GoogleDNS instead of the default ISP DNS. For now, it sounds purely like a network issue, so you'll want to look at all of your router settings to find the culprit.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby kc8pql » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:14 am

RokuShawnS wrote: The 1.67 down concerns me a bit...

+1 The minimum recommended speed is 1.2Mbps. 1.6 doesn't leave you much headroom if your connection slows do to network congestion, interference or whatever.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby rkersen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I downgraded my Netflix, I will have to test it out later today (saturday morning cartoons and all).
Something strange, last night I went to look at the bottom of my Roku to make sure I knew the correct model and forgot to flip it back over, I used HBO Go a few minutes later not realizing my Roku was upside down, but it was working great. Could it be a problem with positioning?
rkersen

Postby kc8pql » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:51 am

rkersen wrote: Could it be a problem with positioning?

Possibly, if the cause is Rf interference with your wireless. Sometimes just moving the box can clear that up.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:12 am

rkersen wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I downgraded my Netflix, I will have to test it out later today (saturday morning cartoons and all).
Something strange, last night I went to look at the bottom of my Roku to make sure I knew the correct model and forgot to flip it back over, I used HBO Go a few minutes later not realizing my Roku was upside down, but it was working great. Could it be a problem with positioning?

Since you are connected wireless the position of your Roku could definitely have more than a slight effect on your Roku's performance. So could the placement of your router and virtually anything else in or near your abode. Even how recently you water your house plants can have an effect.

Also, with your hideously low internet speed any hiccup in the network's performance can cause reloading or even a complete drop on some chs.

I assume that when you said " Bandwidth up 1.67 down .25" you actually meant the other way around as .25 download speed would most probably not work at all. But even 1.67 download combined with the inherent problems of a wireless connection makes streaming problematic at best.

Wireless works well for many but the issue you describe might easily be corrected by exchanging your XD for an XS and connecting it wired.

I have an internet download speed of 10+ but if I connect wireless I get drop outs and reloads from time to time no matter how I futz with the settings.

In many cases wireless is just too unstable for reliable streaming.
Gilgamesh

Postby rkersen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:04 am

I assume that when you said " Bandwidth up 1.67 down .25" you actually meant the other way around as .25 download speed would most probably not work at all. But even 1.67 download combined with the inherent problems of a wireless connection makes streaming problematic at best.

No, I was correct in what I said. That is the reading. I've never really had a need for a higher internet connection. It serves my needs. I don't do a lot of downloading and I don't game. The Roku has been working great up until the past week or so. Don't know what changed. Maybe just interference like the others said. I'm going to try moving things around.
rkersen

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 am

I can almost assure you that .25 download will not work with streaming on the Roku or almost any other device. 1.25 is marginal for quality streaming and .25 is 5 times slower.

Either you are really getting a bit more or somehow you are misreading/misinterpreting whatever readings you are getting or the app you are using is simply not reporting correctly. Also I have NEVER seen an ISP that had a higher upload than download speed as the download speed reflects traffic from the internet to you.

.25 is the slowest download speed I have ever heard of since dial-up and would not be adequate for much of anything on the modern internet and I have never heard of any ISP offering such low speeds. It may serve your needs but it will not work for Roku in any meaningful way.
Gilgamesh

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:30 am

rkersen wrote:I assume that when you said " Bandwidth up 1.67 down .25" you actually meant the other way around as .25 download speed would most probably not work at all. But even 1.67 download combined with the inherent problems of a wireless connection makes streaming problematic at best.

No, I was correct in what I said. That is the reading. I've never really had a need for a higher internet connection. It serves my needs. I don't do a lot of downloading and I don't game. The Roku has been working great up until the past week or so. Don't know what changed. Maybe just interference like the others said. I'm going to try moving things around.

with all due respect, if you only had a .25mbs download speed you never would have seen a show on Netflix before or likely ever had your Roku working at all. Typically when looking at the download/upload speeds the download speed is the larger of the two. When you look at the results of a bandwidth test and you are registering a 1.67mbs download speed you are either seeing the results of a slightly degraded-performance 2.0mbs that you pay your isp for, or a very good performing 1.5mbs that you pay for. Either way that is plenty to get an SD stream from Netflix. The fact you are having trouble with Netflix but saw streaming improvement by moving the box points to poor wireless signal or rf interference. Try moving the Roku around
stratcat96

Postby rkersen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:20 pm

yep, you are absolutely correct. I reran the test and it is reversed from what I typed before. haven't had a chance to test out roku today, i will tonight. I'll mess with some things and see if I can improve loading speed.
rkersen

Postby RickRansom » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:04 pm

rkersen wrote:3. Roku XD

Is it a Roku 1 or a Roku 2?
If you're using a Roku 1, sometimes ~1.5mbps for the download won't' cut it since it doesn't support the adaptive streaming from Netflix.
On the Roku 1, if the video is going to require you to have 1.5mbps it WILL require you to run a constant 1.5mbps from your Roku to your router. :lol:
Interferences for the wireless may slow down your connection as many of the others have already said.
Try setting the "Video Quality" on your Netflix account to just "Good" for now and check on the difference.

If you have a Roku 2 XD, then the adaptive streaming should be one of your best buddies.
Yes, the video quality may not always be HD, but at least it won't cut you off especially at the most crucial part of the show. :D
Retired
RickRansom

Postby krisbee » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:26 am

Make sure you call up your internet provider and see if you can upgrade for a good price. I upgraded my speed to 3.5mps and actually got a REDUCTION on my bill. You never know! You will be happier also, even if it costs you $10 more a month.
krisbee

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion