Mad Men Season 5

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Mad Men Season 5

Postby lisaekh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 am

So, we recently cut the cable in our house and so far it's going great (despite some issues with Hulu Plus). I really don't miss the few shows I was following on cable, and have started watching a few new ones from what's available through the Roku. Now the talk is starting about the upcoming new season of Mad Men at the end of March, and that is my absolute favorite show on TV in the last few years. I have been looking to see if it might be available to stream someplace, but can't seem to find anything. I'd even be willing to pay $14.99 to Amazon for a season pass! Does anyone know if it will be possible to watch Mad Men Season 5 shortly after it airs on AMC, or am I stuck waiting for it to come out later?
lisaekh

Re: Mad Men Season 5

Postby SCOREtv.TV » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:13 am

You are going to have to wait, but Netflix inked a multi-year deal with Lionsgate where the additional seasons will be added after they air on the AMC Network. The good news is that they will have sixth season, so have patience. If you had been following the series from the start you would of waited even longer for the fifth season to air on AMC, then what you have waited for to air on Netflix.

Everyone I know who talks about this series saw it after it was placed on Netflix. "AMC who, what channel?"
Last edited by SCOREtv.TV on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV
SCOREtv.TV

Postby lisaekh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks for the info! I'm bummed to not be able to see it when it airs on AMC, but it sounds like the wait won't be too bad!
lisaekh

Postby nushmut » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:59 am

lisaekh wrote:So, we recently cut the cable in our house and so far it's going great (despite some issues with Hulu Plus). I really don't miss the few shows I was following on cable, and have started watching a few new ones from what's available through the Roku. Now the talk is starting about the upcoming new season of Mad Men at the end of March, and that is my absolute favorite show on TV in the last few years. I have been looking to see if it might be available to stream someplace, but can't seem to find anything. I'd even be willing to pay $14.99 to Amazon for a season pass! Does anyone know if it will be possible to watch Mad Men Season 5 shortly after it airs on AMC, or am I stuck waiting for it to come out later?

Actually, you won't have to wait! The other AMC shows (along with most other basic cable series) have been available for purchase through Amazon, day after broadcast. I expect Mad Men will be as well.

I'm doing a season pass on The Walking Dead right now after trying it out on Breaking Bad last summer, and I plan to get one for Mad Men next month. You get a 5% discount for selecting a season pass (instead of manually purchasing each episode), so for the whole season, the SD version should cost $24.57, or $36.92 for HD. The charge is only done one episode at a time ($1.89 for SD, $2.84 for HD after discount), so you don't have to blow a hole in your entertainment budget all at once.

If you're not willing to pay those prices, you'll need to wait for Netflix to get it on streaming, or for the inevitable Blu-ray/DVD release.

Hope this helps!
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby catastrophegirl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:20 pm

nushmut wrote:You get a 5% discount for selecting a season pass (instead of manually purchasing ach episode)

look for sales too. i got lucky on something my roommate wanted recently and got 15% off by getting the season pass. amazon has sales pretty much constantly, it's just not always the show you want. i find it helps to get on their twitter feed/facebook to get one day only sale info
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby lisaekh » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:51 am

Actually, you won't have to wait! The other AMC shows (along with most other basic cable series) have been available for purchase through Amazon, day after broadcast. I expect Mad Men will be as well.

Oh, this is fantastic news!!! My favorite part of Mad Men is discussing it online after, so this way I'll still be able to participate. Even $25 is a deal, since I'm saving at least that much every month since I cut down my cable.

Only 14 days to go (I guess technically it's 15 for me!)

Lisa
lisaekh

Postby SamanthaElise » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Hello,

Where'd you guys find the season pass on Amazon? I looked for it, but it wasn't available.

A n00b,

SamanthaElise
SamanthaElise

Postby tondoleo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 am

When you click to purchase an episode of a tv program amazon offers you the season pass option before the purchase is finalized.
tondoleo

Postby FX4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:50 pm

OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby nushmut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Just thought I would update this thread with direct links to the 5th Season SD & HD pages on Amazon Instant:

SD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KQXB2G/
HD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KSVYA0/

As usual, there is a 5% discount for signing up for the season pass, compared to purchasing the episodes a la carte. If you only want the SD-quality versions, a season pass will cost $1.89/episode. For HD (which also includes access to the SD versions), it will be $2.84/episode. The season premiere will be two hours, and I don't know how whether they will be split or kept together on Amazon. (If split, it will be 13 episodes total; if not, just subtract $1.89 or $2.84 from the prices in the next sentence.)

So SD-only should cost $24.57 for the season, and HD will cost $36.92.

There is a free, 57 minute feature (for those who may be interested) called "How to Succeed in Business, Draper Style" already available, in which "CEOs, advertising legends and executive coaches use scenes from 'Mad Men' to detail Don Draper's 10-point blueprint for success."

Hope this is useful!
Roku XDS, AppleTV 3rd Gen
15mbps on TWC, DIR-615 Router (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu+, season passes, MLB.tv, IW Browser Roksbox
nushmut

Postby rara » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 pm

So I am brand new to all of this, just turned in my Comcast equipment today (yay!) but I too am totally worried about watching Mad Men Season Five. If I buy a season pass on Amazon can I watch it through the Roku even if I'm not an amazon prime customer? Thanks in advance!
rara

Postby kc8pql » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 pm

^ Yes. Prime and Amazon PPV are really two separate things.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby rara » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Thank you! I'm pumped!
rara

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:57 pm

rara wrote:So I am brand new to all of this, just turned in my Comcast equipment today (yay!) but I too am totally worried about watching Mad Men Season Five. If I buy a season pass on Amazon can I watch it through the Roku even if I'm not an amazon prime customer? Thanks in advance!

Yes. The Amazon instant videos you purchase are completely separate from their Prime video service.

There is a even a queue of sorts for your instant video purchases that is accessible from the main menu of the Amazon ch.
Gilgamesh

Postby krisbee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:29 am

Oh, and one thing I don't know if it is really clear - you are buying the episodes, not renting. So, theoretically, you have these episodes for as long as you and Amazon are around - when compared to the price of a DVD box set of the same show, it really can be quite a bargain.
krisbee

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion