MLB.TV 2013

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: MLB.TV 2013

Postby kenjamin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:20 pm

steamer wrote:here's the latest from the MLB.tv forum:

ForumModerator1 Posted by host
As I previously said, all postseason games will be available on mlb.tv on roku and pc as live and archives. The agent probably thought you were talking about postseason.tv which is not available on roku. That is a different subscription.

so ...
is it all crystal clear now. ;)

What? Everything I read made me believe that in the United States, all postseason games are blacked out for live, but will be available 90min after the game. It says right on MLB.TV that the $25 postseason package is for outside US/Canada... Would love to be wrong!

I'm confused. Anyway, the Mohu leaf I have picks up Fox well, but not TBS. There's no magic stream of TBS on Nowhere.TV or anything is there?

I'm thinking about shelling out $19 for a month of USTVNow.
kenjamin

Postby Frankie'sMarket » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:56 pm

steamer wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
stlouieblues wrote:I've gotten the alternate feed package in past years. You have to watch it on your PC, not available on ROKU. I attached my laptop to my flatscreen TV via HDMI cable. It's not the TBS broadcast TV feed but the MLBTV camera feed. You choose which tv cameras to watch (they don't just have one video broadcast but 4 cameras to choose from. You can watch multiple cameras at the same time in split screen format. I think they overlay the TBS broadcasters for audio.

I don't think anything exemplifies the absurdities of complex distribution rights than the MLB postseason's options. Only certain devices, only certain cameras, only certain audio...

couldn't agree more.

Just be thankful Turner Sports allowed their multi-cam video feeds of MLB and NBA games to be streamed live and FREE to everyone these past few years. With the development of the Watch TBS and TNT apps for iOS and Android, it wouldn't surprise me if Turner eventually phases out the multi-cam feeds and restricts their online sportscasts to the live streams on the new apps, all of which require authentication from a participating cable provider.
Frankie'sMarket

Postby boteman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 am

steamer wrote:here's the latest from the MLB.tv forum:

As I previously said, all postseason games will be available on mlb.tv on roku and pc as live and archives. The agent probably thought you were talking about postseason.tv which is not available on roku. That is a different subscription.

The next obvious follow-up question should be:

Exactly WHAT subscription allows us to watch MLB playoffs on the Roku?
Roku 2 XS fed by Cat5 wired Ethernet connected to ancient 36" Magnavox LCD TV via HDMI
boteman

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 am

boteman wrote:The next obvious follow-up question should be:

Well from the text you quoted:
As I previously said, all postseason games will be available on mlb.tv on roku and pc as live and archives.

That seems quite clear and exact.
Gilgamesh

Postby stlouieblues » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 am

MLBTV site today says that the tie breaker game tonight is blacked out nationally.
stlouieblues

Postby boteman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 am

Gilgamesh wrote:

As I previously said, all postseason games will be available on mlb.tv on roku and pc as live and archives.

And incomplete. Does that apply to domestic U.S. viewers? He doesn't say.

It also directly contradicts every statement on MLB's own web site and their long-standing agreements with Fox and TBS for post-season coverage. It is counter-intuitive to those who have been paying attention to these matters.

Some moderators over on that forum are not exact with their language. They say "Yes, you can watch post-season games on your Roku" without adding the teeny-weeny little detail that this means ARCHIVED games 90 minutes after they end. That was Moderator11 (eleven).

Now Moderator1 (one) says that Roku subscribers can view LIVE games, which I find impossible to believe even while I'm hopeful he's right. Perhaps he meant foreign subscribers? Who knows? He didn't say.

Why they can't just post a clear table showing unequivocally who can watch what, I don't know. I guess they like getting exasperated from all the questions generated by their lack of clarity that affects so many of their customers.

Knowing MLB's sordid history in these matters I remain extremely skeptical that Roku users will be able to stream LIVE games until I see it on my Roku. Cross your fingers, but prepare for disappointment regardless of what their multitude of support people say.
Roku 2 XS fed by Cat5 wired Ethernet connected to ancient 36" Magnavox LCD TV via HDMI
boteman

Postby stlouieblues » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:15 am

My personal experience from the past 2 seasons is that we will not be able to see any live MLB post season games on Roku. The only option will be the postseason.tv package on PC. MLB has signed exclusivity into the tv rights contract to Fox and TBS. So only archived games will be available to mlbtv premium subscribers on Roku or PC. Now why doesn't MLB provide the postseason.tv broadcast free to premium mlbtv subscribers? $$$
stlouieblues

Postby steamer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:34 am

Gilgamesh wrote:

bwahhaaaha .... silly boy.
that it may appear clear and exact ...
does NOT mean it is correct.
from my own direct many years experience with MLB.tv
and various subscriptions has shown me ...
the number of different answers you will get is directly proportional
to the number of different 'official' sources you ask.
all one can do is see for oneself ...
and then understand everything can, and likely will ...
change without notice from year to year.
best i can say about it is ...
it's at least an adventure.
part of the price we baseball addicts have to put up with.
"The Selection of Random Numbers is too Important to be Left to Chance."

Roku 1 - Model #2100X V 3.1 b1017
Roku 2 - Model #3100X V 5.3 b3063
both wired
VisionNet ADSL2+4 Ports Wireless
Toshiba 40G300U HDMI, 1080P
steamer

Postby steamer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:44 am

stlouieblues wrote:MLBTV site today says that the tie breaker game tonight is blacked out nationally.

yes.
and if i fire up Roku ...
it says "Come back at 8:07 PM ET to watch the live game!"
i doubt it ...
but at least it looks like i may have a chance to watch it
on Roku 90 min or so later.

btw ... i see on Roku that the Reds/Pirates wild card game
looks like it will be there for viewing on Tuesday ...
and the playoff games for Thursday and Friday are queued up.
not live, but at least post blackout.
so ... looks promising.

i have the 2013 Premium Subscription ...
and am in the US.
don't know about the Post Season one being offered.

again ... we will see.
[or not see] ;)

both wired
steamer

Postby steamer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:58 am

one more little tidbit from
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/in ... MEDIAGUIDE
"Live Broadcasts of the 2013 Postseason games available ONLY to customers outside of the U.S. and Canada"

both wired
steamer

Postby scottypie1234 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 am

Apparently, the only way to watch these games live is to be a cable/dish subscriber so you can access TBS. If you're not a cable subscriber, you're out of luck.

The ALCS and World Series will be on Fox, so you will be able to pull these in via antenna or Aereo.
scottypie1234

Postby Barnfather » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 am

I have developed a strange problem with MLBTV over the last few days and wondered if anyone else had something similar.

Have two Roku's - one in living room (Roku 2) and one in bedroom (Roku LT) - which I watch MLB games on.

The bedroom Roku has been working fine but has developed an issue in the last few days which I've never seen before. Essentially any game - whether live or archived, streams fine from an audio perspective, but the video seems to periodically (every minute or so) appear to fast-forward a few seconds and then freeze until the audio catches up and then it carries on okay for another minute or so before happening again.

It essentially makes the game unwatchable, and being in the UK, I like to continue watching games in bed so this is quite a problem.

The Roku in the living room seems to be fine and doesn't suffer any video problems at all.

It's not a buffering or connection problem, it just seems to be the video running ahead of itself and then waiting to stay in sync, and it is insanely annoying!

Have tried turning the LT box off and on but the problem persists.

Is there an issue with MLB video streaming on the LT version of the Roku only?
Barnfather

Postby boteman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am

I have seen that behavior on occasion on my Roku XS, but I deduced that it's an indication that there is a bandwidth shortage at the moment. When things are fine, they are really fine. When that happens it is almost always accompanied by the thermometer showing progress filling up the buffer--because it ran dry.

Potential reasons might be:
- just plain bandwidth starvation between you and MLB, possibly as a result of denial-of-service attack on MLB; it happens
- duplicate packets arriving at your Roku out of sequence, causing it to give up and just fast-forward to where it knows the video is contiguous again

Since they are different models of Roku they might handle things differently. It sounds crazy, but try rebooting your home router as I have seen consumer-grade routers cause this kind of problem with VoIP connections.

If you are connecting via WiFi I strongly urge you to run an Ethernet cable to the Roku boxes as this eliminates so many problems before they occur. WiFi sounds all nice and neat until you suffer problems as a result of it, then it becomes just not worth the hassle.
boteman

Postby tj218 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 am

As a cord-cutter I was really worried I was going to be high and dry on the MLB playoffs till they hit Fox, but I ordered postseason.tv last night ($5) and watched it a bit on the computer. Really only two of the angles (CF and behind home plate) were useful but along with the audio feed it will suffice until the games get to Fox. The behind home plate camera has the feel like you are at the game, you will see most of the action. If you like to see the back of the pitcher you will want the CF angle, but as soon as the ball is in play that angle is useless. 1B and 3B camera angles were for the most part useless as they seem to spend more time looking at the crowd. I did have an issue as when you multiple views up some of them aren't synched up and a few seconds behind.

There are no on-screen overlays, so keep track of the score, baserunners (pretty easy in the behind home plate view), count and stats on your own.

Wishlist:
1. Postseason.tv would be available on Roku. (for now I will just hook up the computer to the TV)
2. Choice of audio feeds for Postseason.tv (instead of just the TBS audio).

But for those of us cord-cutters this package is way better than just a radio feed.
tj218

Postby scottypie1234 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 am

tj218 wrote:As a cord-cutter I was really worried I was going to be high and dry on the MLB playoffs till they hit Fox, but I ordered postseason.tv last night ($5) and watched it a bit on the computer. Really only two of the angles (CF and behind home plate) were useful but along with the audio feed it will suffice until the games get to Fox. The behind home plate camera has the feel like you are at the game, you will see most of the action. If you like to see the back of the pitcher you will want the CF angle, but as soon as the ball is in play that angle is useless. 1B and 3B camera angles were for the most part useless as they seem to spend more time looking at the crowd. I did have an issue as when you multiple views up some of them aren't synched up and a few seconds behind.

There are no on-screen overlays, so keep track of the score, baserunners (pretty easy in the behind home plate view), count and stats on your own.

Wishlist:
1. Postseason.tv would be available on Roku. (for now I will just hook up the computer to the TV)
2. Choice of audio feeds for Postseason.tv (instead of just the TBS audio).

But for those of us cord-cutters this package is way better than just a radio feed.

+1.

They gave it to us free last night, so I checked it out. It was a much better solution than I thought it would be. Definitely worth the $5 subscription, even if you only watch one game or a few innings here and there. Definitely just leave it on the home plate camera and you'll not have much problem with flow of the game.
scottypie1234

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion