Have you got the new interface update yet?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Have you got the new interface update yet?

Postby renojim » Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 am

TheEndless wrote:I actually disagree with the suggestion that REW and FF be used to jump multiple rows. If there were channel up/down or page up/down buttons on the remote, it would make sense to use those.

Have you tried FF/Rew in the vertical lists, for example within Settings? They do exactly what you imply makes no sense. Clearly someone thought it made sense there, why not within the channel grid? I'd say what makes no sense is having them act as page up/down sometimes but not others.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Basil » Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 am

tobarefeet wrote:I don't really get the complaints on the new UI. It was long overdue and in general it works much better and is visually easier to quickly get to channels if you have a lot of channels.

I agree that it's a much better-looking interface. However, I only have it on my Roku 3. The LT hasn't received the update yet, so I don't know how well it'll work there. I would be surprised if it didn't perform well (read: as designed).
tobarefeet wrote:My only problem so far is the Roku 3 occasionally freezes and has to be manually rebooted and the remote doesn't always interact instantly. My understanding is they are working on some bugs. I can live with that for now.

I've heard reports like this, but haven't experienced any problems at all with the Roku 3. Of course, others complain about Hulu Plus, but I haven't had a problem with Hulu Plus on any Roku in well over a year.

Haven't had any remote issues other than when the batteries were weak after extensive headphone usage.

Maybe Roku just likes me.
tobarefeet wrote:The search across channels is fabulous.

It works quite well. I never used the search feature much previously, so I can't say it's an improvement. I do most of my watching in the living room (Roku 3), so that's where the searching is. The Roku LT is in the bedroom, and rarely use it there. Maybe I ought to try the 4.x software search and see just how big of an improvement the search is.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby gonzotek » Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 pm

renojim wrote:
TheEndless wrote:I actually disagree with the suggestion that REW and FF be used to jump multiple rows. If there were channel up/down or page up/down buttons on the remote, it would make sense to use those.

Have you tried FF/Rew in the vertical lists, for example within Settings? They do exactly what you imply makes no sense. Clearly someone thought it made sense there, why not within the channel grid? I'd say what makes no sense is having them act as page up/down sometimes but not others.

-JT
+1. Consistency is the key here.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby TheEndless » Mon May 13, 2013 12:19 pm

gonzotek wrote:
renojim wrote:

-JT
+1. Consistency is the key here.

The key difference is that there is only one column of items in the list screens, so there's no logical behavior for REW and FF there. On a screen with three items in a row, it makes sense for FF and REW to jump horizontally through those items. It does not make sense for it to jump vertically.
So, while I'll concede that the behavior on the list screen somewhat contradicts my point, there's still no alternative expected behavior that it's replacing, therefore confusion is mitigated.

EDIT: FWIW, the "old" UI only jumped four items on REW/FF, not five as previously stated.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby wideasleep1 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
RickRansom wrote:They probably didn't get the email Roku sent them. :o

You would be surprised, or maybe not, at how many people do not read emails except for those from a select few. For some people testing has replaced email, or talking on the phone, or even face to face.

I know of several folks, mostly young, that only read two or three emails out of every hundred or so they receive. (That does not count junk) For these folks if the email is not from a very limited set of people they delete it without reading. My granddaughters are almost in that category. They only tolerate emails from me because they know I have not fully embraced this newfangled thing called "texting." We also use Skype to actually talk to each other. Now that is an antiquated concept, no?

Then there are the older folks that have not figured out how to get email from their computer.

So I am quite sure that there were many, many emails that never were read.

**warning..topic drift**
Texting is so 2012! :lol:
I'm gonna make you the coolest grandpa evah...tell her to install Heytell, or better still, Voxer (Android and iPhone), which use data-only (no text fees), and send both voice messages (mp3's) back and forth ala walkie-talkie style, and Voxer also has picture-sending capability (from camera or gallery). If you NEED quiet, you can still text back and forth, but sending quick 'chat's' between parties is infinitely more efficient than even calling, texting, or email (which is hopelessly broken insofar as efficient communication). A huge benefit: you have a visual and audio record of your content, for playback later, to remind you of important details (like a shopping list, or how many hours to bill that client two weeks ago when your chats have a time-stamp). Voxer has virtually eliminated my need for calling minutes! Enjoy! 8)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby renojim » Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm

TheEndless wrote:EDIT: FWIW, the "old" UI only jumped four items on REW/FF, not five as previously stated.

I believe it jumps five items on Roku 1s, four on Roku 2s in HD mode, and a worthless two on Roku 2s in SD mode (much like the worthless two items it now jumps on the new channel grid :roll: ). Gotta love consistency!

-JT
renojim

Postby ram130 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 pm

You'd think the OP of this thread would have the update already? Nope..6 days to go..............

tobarefeet wrote:Neither of my Roku 2 XD have been updated yet. I'm curious as to why the long roll out when some received updates almost two weeks ago, but it will be all good when it happens.

Feel my pain..lol
jeffrok wrote:Probably to not overwhelm the servers..

Thier servers must be on the cheap end then...I'm sure they not using more than 30% usage to roll out this update...
- Ram
ram130

Postby joed32 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 am

tobarefeet wrote:I have the Roku 3 and the new UI is a nice step in the right direction. Neither of my Roku 2 XD have been updated yet. I'm curious as to why the long roll out when some received updates almost two weeks ago, but it will be all good when it happens.

Do we know for a fact that a roll out started 2 weeks ago?
joed32

Postby jeffrok » Tue May 14, 2013 7:38 am

I've had it on my LT for at least a week, so my guess is "Yes".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby Basil » Tue May 14, 2013 7:41 am

jeffrok wrote:I've had it on my LT for at least a week, so my guess is "Yes".

What??!? Roku must like you more than they like me. Wonder if it's something I said...
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby Streamer99 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 am

Can anyone confirm if any of Roku's Canadian customers have received the update yet? :?:
Streamer99

Postby joed32 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 am

jeffrok wrote:I've had it on my LT for at least a week, so my guess is "Yes".

I hope all of the others will chime in so that we can see how wide spread it is. Is it just one area? Is it only a small test group? Etc.
joed32

Postby knuckle » Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 am

I haven't gotten it yet
ROKU 1 XD J0A113014862
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
all running wireless on a Netgear WNR 1000
knuckle

Postby Nebula1701 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 am

Well I'm also waiting on mine. I can't wait for the new functionality.

I'm in eastern Michigan with two Roku 2 XS units.
Nebula1701

Postby flamebird » Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 pm

No update yet on my 2XS in MO.
Just got it in January, so I'm not really sweating it. Still in the "wow, it can do that?" stage.
Been busy getting my digital content in usable format, so that's keeping m out of trouble. . . At least till I think of an excuse to buy new box. :wink:
flamebird

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion